Poll: What stem do you run??

mtbr member

New question here. TRANCE Stem Poll - WHat length??

OK as everyone knows I have a Trance and right now I'm riding it with a 100 / 6 degree stem, but I kind of pinched it and want my own so I'm gona order a Thomson and am thinking 120 / 0 degree. What I was curious about is what everyone else is running on their Trance's? I only ask since right now I have the 100/6 running right ways up, but have run it reversed and felt comfortable enough so that's why I decided to go with the 120/0 since when I drew it aqll up on the computer the reversed 100/6 was just a tad bit shorter and lower than a 120/0 would be.

Haven't been riding too much tech recently (been doing a lot of road and flat XC), but just started back on the tech stuff and it feels like the 120mm/0 might be a tad long for me, maybe a 110mm/0 might be better or maybe it's just a lack of skill and time away from the tech stuff. If you went through some trial and error please elaborate.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Wow, amazing with so many Trances threads and the Trance thread with over 30,000+ views I cannot believe no one has answered this poll.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Ok LyNx, on my 2006 trance (the one with the poorly mounted shock) I am currently using the 90 mm x 5 mm thomson stem taken off my nrs. I had to use a thomson layback seatpost on the 18" frame to allow for more cockpit room. The stock easton put the seat in the same position as the layback. My straight thomson made for a really tight fit! I will be installing a 100 mm thomson stem this week. I removed it from cyfers bike and will probably use my 90 mm stem on his new reign. I'll let you know how the new stem changes the fit of the bike.

I have a shorter torso and longer legs. My handlebars are cut to 24" as they were on the nrs bike and now the trance.

-Mike

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response Mavrim, I'm just trying to get a feel for cockpit layout before I order my Thomson as they aren't cheap. I think I pretty much fit the 22"/XL size right in the middle of it's size range as the saddle isn't all the way back o the rails on the stock Easton post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    120mm / 0 degree on my T-2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Currently I have a 120 mm at 6°.

However, I like to switch it to 110 mm at 0°, as I feel that I'm just a little too stretched on the bike now and increasing the travel of the fork over 100 mm makes the bar too high IMO.

Trance 2, size 22.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi LyNx,

On my 20 inch size Trance I'm running a 110mm&6 degree stem. Swapping your 100 mm to a 120 mm is probably a good idea, as it would likely put you in a more centered position over the middle of the bike. With your 22 inch frame, and at the heigth you run your saddle and stem, it means your weight is shifted a couple of centimeters backwards compared to a shorter rider with an 18 inch frame and similar stem length. To make your bike handle more like it was intended to do you should indeed go for the 120 mm stem.

Happy riding!

-Max

mtbr member
    my Trance-3 still has has the stem it came with (Easton EA50, not sure what size) and it feels fine, but one question: how does changing the stem length affect the feel of the steering of the bike? i.e. does a short stem feel more twitchy?

Mel

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. MM1969 I know by calculations I should go for the 120 stem and not be woried, but something is digging at the back of my mind telling me to doubl then tripple check it. I've done the whole measure thing on the comp etc and the bike even came with a 120/6 stem. Guess I've just gotten accustomed to the comfort of riding the DHs w/ the shorter stem and figting the UHs w/ it aswell. I think maybe a zero degree would make it more like a 130 instead of a 120, any thoughts there??

Also I find that the 31.8 stems seem shorter than the 25.4, is that just me or the stems I have right now?
    Last edited by LyNx; 07-11-2006 at 04:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes Mel, shortening the stem will help to quicken the steering - part of the reason I went with the 100, besides it was available to "steal"

Quote Originally Posted by Mel-UK
    my Trance-3 still has has the stem it came with (Easton EA50, not sure what size) and it feels fine, but one question: how does changing the stem length affect the feel of the steering of the bike? i.e. does a short stem feel more twitchy?

Mel

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi again LyNx,

Although I don't really think you will have any problem adapting to the ride feel with a 120/0, which will stretch you about 2.3 cm and give very similar height (3 mm lower), you might go with the 110/0 if still in doubt. That would give you 1.25 cm more reach while lowering the bar about 6 mm. This would still be enough to improve the flat XC properties and should have negligable impact on the DH capabilities. Going for the otiginal setup with a 120/6 stem would stretch you 1.8 cm with an added height of 8.5 mm. I don't really think you can go wrong with any of these options, but the 110/0 choice is of course the "safest" as it will change things the least.

Regarding length difference between 31.8 and 25.4 stems I think it's more of an optical illusion. The length is measured from the center of the head tube clamp to the center of the stem clamp. The larger diameter of the stem will make the edge of the stem closer to the head tube clamp, giving the impression of being shorter, whereas in reality the center to center distance is the same.

good luck with the stem swap!

-Max

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi

I run a 90mm 6š in my XL Trance. Iīm 1,84m tall. I was running a 110mm stem but didnīt liked very much the XC feeling and think that it was because of that, that I had a crash in a jump, because my weight was a little over the front wheel. I jumped about 20 Km/h and could not push the front of the bike and touched the ground with the front tyre. I had that feeling in some other "downhillings" with little jumps, but only decided to put the 90mm stem after that crash. Till now I like the feel with 90mm stem, its much easier to pull the front. Some guys told me that the XL its to much bigger for me( maybe its true), but i like the size because I think that the bike its more stable when descending.

Sorry my English

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks for the reply. If my math is correct 1.84m should make you just a hair over 6ft which would make the 22"/XL size on the bigger size for you - I'm 6'2" and could possibly ride a 20"/L on tight single track. As for pulling up the fron I don't think I have to worry about that - thought I was gona end up on my arse taking off on a jump the other evening w/ no effort put into pulling up.

I think I'm gona go for the 120/0 and suck it up and try to keep the 100/6 as a back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcalhau
    Hi

I run a 90mm 6š in my XL Trance. Iīm 1,84m tall. I was running a 110mm stem but didnīt liked very much the XC feeling and think that it was because of that, that I had a crash in a jump, because my weight was a little over the front wheel. I jumped about 20 Km/h and could not push the front of the bike and touched the ground with the front tyre. I had that feeling in some other "downhillings" with little jumps, but only decided to put the 90mm stem after that crash. Till now I like the feel with 90mm stem, its much easier to pull the front. Some guys told me that the XL its to much bigger for me( maybe its true), but i like the size because I think that the bike its more stable when descending.

Sorry my English

Members who have read this thread: 0