Trance - Soft Paint ?- Mtbr.com
    Blood Sweat and Gears !

Trance - Soft Paint ?

Hi,

Long time reader of this forum, but not a regular poster.

I have an original trance 4 (the light blue one) 05/06 I think
    UK spec and as it came out of the box except for Hayes Nines doing the stopping.

My problem is that I am getting really bad paint chips on my frame.
    I have a cracker just on the edge of the down tube near the shock (too close!) which goes all the way thru the paint and I can practically see the frame.
    I have another on the top (go figure ) of the down tube and several major ones on the underside of the chain stays.

I do all my riding in Scottish forests and Hills, and it does throw all sorts of debris at the bike, but I'm just a little dissapointed in the durability of the paint.

Anyone else had a similar issue ?

Thanks

- Cale
    I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death !

To Ride or Not To Ride - That is a stupid question

I AM I AM
    I've got one decent chip and probably a few minor ones. I think it's pretty much a given with most brands of bike, a Specialized I had prior was pretty much the same with that regard, maybe a bit more durable but still ended up with chips or scratches.

Never had a powdercoated / anodized bike though which could be hardier. I have read that some bike companies won't powdercoat their bikes (Kona?) due to some effect it could have on the type of Aluminium they use (or something like that I read from a Kona rep on a Kona forum).

Come on winter!
    The '05s had lousy paint. Easily chipped. Mine is a wreck and I'd love to repaint but it voids the warranty.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blood Sweat and Gears !
    Thnks for the responses.

I was expecting it to chip a little but not to the extent I have seen. I'll post some pics at the weekend.

I use a Thule towball mounted rack and even the nylon retaining straps are marking the paint.

Even still, I still think it's the dog's danglies of a bike !

Jul 2007
    Yup giants so look at this

The top tube of my reign after about 1 months of owning it!!!

Giant Anthem

Wimpy paint

Quote Originally Posted by caledonia2k
    Hi,

Long time reader of this forum, but not a regular poster.

I have an original trance 4 (the light blue one) 05/06 I think
    UK spec and as it came out of the box except for Hayes Nines doing the stopping.

My problem is that I am getting really bad paint chips on my frame.
    I have a cracker just on the edge of the down tube near the shock (too close!) which goes all the way thru the paint and I can practically see the frame.
    I have another on the top (go figure ) of the down tube and several major ones on the underside of the chain stays.

I do all my riding in Scottish forests and Hills, and it does throw all sorts of debris at the bike, but I'm just a little dissapointed in the durability of the paint.

Anyone else had a similar issue ?

Thanks

- Cale

Yep, my paint by the derailler is already worn off, and the first ride a major chip happened un the underside of the bike. So I took a few hours and took some scotch m3 transparent protective film and custom fit the whole bike with it anywhere there was cable rub and on the whole under side, this has saved the finish because I agree the paint is weak. My fish hardtail paint is literally 5 times more durable. But the trance is the bomb still.

Feb 2007

07 Trance 3

The paint durability on this bike (07 Trance 3) is shocking. It's like a metallic silver that looks like anodizing. It is completely rubbish. My 00 Kona Blast's paint (powder coat?) is way better. The paint chips so easily. I put 2 deep scores on it, the day I got it from another bike on my rack. In a way i'm glad it happened as I'm just getting on with riding it and am not pre-occupied with scratches. Awesome bike though, despite the grim paint.

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by andymach23
    The paint durability on this bike (07 Trance 3) is shocking. It's like a metallic silver that looks like anodizing. It is completely rubbish. My 00 Kona Blast's paint (powder coat?) is way better. The paint chips so easily. I put 2 deep scores on it, the day I got it from another bike on my rack. In a way i'm glad it happened as I'm just getting on with riding it and am not pre-occupied with scratches. Awesome bike though, despite the grim paint.

Now that is a bummer. I was under the impression that the paint got better with the later models.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blood Sweat and Gears !
    Finally got the bike and the camera in the same room.

Here's the BB upsire down showing the chip near the shock and the ones on the chain stay..

The one on the top of the down tube, this also shows the damage done by the nylon retaining straps from my carrier..

And finally the underside of the top tube.

First time I've linked to images so we'll see if this works.
    I also agree with the thinking that now the paints not pristine, I'll just concentrate on riding the thing !

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just something I thought everyone might find interesting about paints/finishings....

A fellowing engineering friend of mine when I was college (I just graduated in May) did some pretty extensive research on the fatigue life of 6061 aluminum, particularily focusing on how the finish effects the life of the samples. He tested 0.5in diameter cylinders w/a notch machined into them, and he tested 3 kinds: polished, anodized, and no finish (I can't remember if the aluminum was produced using hot or cold forming techniques...). Anyways, the anodized samples failed significantly sooner than the other two....something to the affect of having only about 85% of the life of the others.

The polished samples had the longest life, though I do not remember how much longer. Anodizing causes lots of microscopic cracks to form on the surface of the material, which leads to a lower life span. Polishing on the other hand removes some of the microscopic cracks.

Would it make a difference on a mountain bike? I can't say. The problem w/polishing is you remove some material....but again, is it significant?

Just thought I'd throw that out there!

Members who have read this thread: 0