Trance frame out of alignment?- Mtbr.com
    Come on winter!

Trance frame out of alignment?

Anybody know what the reason could be that my bike has more space on one side than the other between the upper rockers and seat tube?
    The difference is about 2-3mm. My wife's and other Trances I've looked at all appear perfectly even.
    Pivots, bearings, etc.. are all in good working order. Could my 140lb riding weight have possibly bent this thing?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Which side has more space? I have the same issue on the drive side. It does not appear to affect the ride in any way and I cannot recall if this appeared before or after replacing the bearings. Also, I can't think of any specific mishap that would have caused it ... I simply ignored it up until you posted this, but now I'm curious.

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogdan
    Which side has more space? I have the same issue on the drive side. It does not appear to affect the ride in any way and I cannot recall if this appeared before or after replacing the bearings. Also, I can't think of any specific mishap that would have caused it ... I simply ignored it up until you posted this, but now I'm curious.

Drive side has more space.

This is the side that for me had crushed bearings in the upper triangle - twice. Could running the bike with room for movement in the upper triangle pivot have bent the frame??

I am also unsure of when exactly this happened, I just noticed it a couple of months ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ytc100
    Drive side has more space.

This is the side that for me had crushed bearings in the upper triangle - twice. Could running the bike with room for movement in the upper triangle pivot have bent the frame??

I am also unsure of when exactly this happened, I just noticed it a couple of months ago.
    Hmmm ... there was one occasion when I rode with those same pivot screws in the seatstays loose. I retightened them on the next ride and other than the bearings feeling a bit rough I cannot recall noticing anything else. The bearings were replaced shortly after, but no play had developed at that point (i.e. bearings were rough, but intact). Anyway, do you notice any problems when riding as a result of this misalignment? I don't.

As far as the crushed bearings go (especially after already replacing them), could you have damaged them during installation? Maybe I'm telling you something you already know, but when you pull them out it does not really matter, however, when inserting the bearings you must push against the outer race only.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ytc100
    Anybody know what the reason could be that my bike has more space on one side than the other between the upper rockers and seat tube?
    The difference is about 2-3mm. My wife's and other Trances I've looked at all appear perfectly even.
    Pivots, bearings, etc.. are all in good working order. Could my 140lb riding weight have possibly bent this thing?
    i test rode an '07 trance 1 a day ago and noticed the same thing on the bike. right side had ~2-3mm more clearance. suspension movement seemed fine but i would be concerned that the misalignment would cause an uneven amount of stress leading to premature wear and/or increased stresses on the bearings and frame members.

the bike i rode is a demo and appeared to have seen it's fair share of use. i will be looking closely at the new '07 trance 1 the shop is selling before i make my decision...

mtbr member
    I'm sure you did this but I'll ask anyway. Are you sure the axle is seated correctly in the dropouts? Some times an over tightened QR will cock the wheel to one side or another.
    Last of The Allaire Bastards

Come on winter!
    I didn't damage the bearings on installation but they were the stock '05 versions which are well known for being poop. The third set I installed are the enduros and they so far appear to be fine. I wonder if the misalignment is what caused the right side bearings to get crushed in the first place as maybe there is more stress on that side?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I didn't damage the bearings on installation but they were the stock '05 versions which are well known for being poop. The third set I installed are the enduros and they so far appear to be fine. I wonder if the misalignment is what caused the right side bearings to get crushed in the first place as maybe there is more stress on that side?
    This is definitely a weird little issue ... the good thing is that it does not appear to affect the performance or ride quality of the bike (in my case, at least). ytc100, your misaligned frame and damaged bearings scenario sounds almost like the chicken and the egg theory ... which came first? In my earlier post I mentioned I rode with loose pivot screws at the rocker-arm/seatstays junction, so it is possible that may have caused this issue ... however, now that I think back, I would not be able to say with certainty that the uneven spacing did not exist from the very 1st day I bought the frame and just didn't notice it. Maybe some of you guys who had no bearing problems and no replacement/maintenace done could chime in?
    Last edited by Bogdan; 08-13-2007 at 05:52 AM.

Come on winter!
    I haven't noticed any issues with ride quality either. I do feel like this is something I would have noticed in the previous 2 years with the bike. It was only this season that I noticed play I could see visually in the pivot I've been talking about with the cracked bearings.

mtbr member
    Don't know how you managed to find a Trance that is even to ride, maybe it's something to do with size as my XL Trance has the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0