Trance - faulty bearings wrecked my frame!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Trance - faulty bearings wrecked my frame!

Hi guys.

I have a trance 05, the bearings recently went - causing significant damage to the rear triangle.

I have contacted giant, as I've only had the bike for just under 12 months.

Are they likely to come up trumps with warranty?

What would I need to provide to them for them to honour it?

I've moved house since buying it, so am a little short on manuals etc. - although I can find most of the stuff.

I've read most people just get a new rear triangle, which I am fine with - but will they provide a 2005 colour?

Cheers!!!

May contain nuts
    If it's under warranty and you're the original owner you're covered, otherwise it's a maintenance (or lack of) issue...

mtbr member
    If the bearings got bad enough to cause damage to your frame, they must have been doing some pretty funky stuff for a while before the damage began. Without more info or pictures, I would bet they chalk it up to lack of maintenance/abuse. Sorry to break it to ya and I hope I'm wrong. Luckily, if it's not warranty you can probably get a "crash replacement" rear triangle for a couple of hundred bucks. Good luck!
    Ride More

mtbr member
    Maybe we need to get my Bearing replacement guide Stickied for a bi so that people with '05 Maestro who haven't changed the bearings and come browsing will see it and know to check them over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You might need to show that you purchased the bike less than 12 months ago because it is an '05. If you can show that, or convince the local Giant dealer, then Giant should make an effort to take care of it. I have a lot of expericence with them and they have been an excellent department to work with. The department has lost a few key members over the past year so they might not be the same but it is definatly worth a shot.

Also, if you lost your reciept or proof of purchase you might go back to the shop where you got your bike and ask them of a copy of the reciept. If they are a good shop they should have some sort of record keeping system.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi.

Thanks for your responses.
    I've been taken care of by giant, I bought the bike less than a year ago - and they warranty the frame for 5 years.

The damage to the frame was impossible to prevent by maintenance, as Giant said; It is due to the faulty bearing that caused the damage to the rear triangle.

They are replacing the rear triangle and covering fitting costs with my LBS. The only worry I have, is that the bearings that are shipped with the new triangle are the same as the ones which I already had (and broke!)

Giant have come up trumps.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Global Recall

Just wondering if bearings in 2005 Trance are wrongly spec'ed and will sooner or later break, why don't Giant do a global recall? Giant can post a recall message on their website, ask customers to approach their LBS, instruct the LBS to carry out replacement for the customers for free.

The bearings in my 2005 Trance 2 are working fine right now, but I got sick and tired of checking constantly if the bearings develop problems.

It seems that Giant still has some way to go on customer satisfaction!

mtbr member

Really...........

...............it's not something that will kill anyone, so why would they do that - I mean come on How many people do you think actually know about the bad bearings or even know how to service their bikes? If people catch it GIANT does the right thing, but if they don't oh well there's $5 saved I know it's frustrating and if I was in your shoes I'd do the smart thing and order up a set of the Enduro's and replace those bearings before they not only go bad, but go bad and F8up your frame.

Quote Originally Posted by kingswoodkc
    Just wondering if bearings in 2005 Trance are wrongly spec'ed and will sooner or later break, why don't Giant do a global recall? Giant can post a recall message on their website, ask customers to approach their LBS, instruct the LBS to carry out replacement for the customers for free.

The bearings in my 2005 Trance 2 are working fine right now, but I got sick and tired of checking constantly if the bearings develop problems.

It seems that Giant still has some way to go on customer satisfaction!
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    From all accounts it sounds like Giant customer service is great. Some of the other big bike makers could probably learn a thing or two from them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The problem is, I don't know how to change the bearings myself. If I do it myself, chance is that I will screw up the whole thing.

The LBSs in my country are not as professional as those in U.S. or other countries. I am sure they will treat not it as a warranty issue and will tell me to pay for all the work on buying and replacing the bearings.

Money is a minor thing. My greatest fear is that they may screw up the whole thing if I pay them to change the bearings. I have not seen any LBSs using any torque measurement tool when servicing is carried out. They do it by 'feel'.

Having them screwed up the whole thing will get me more frustrated! I am really in a dilemma.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    ...............it's not something that will kill anyone, so why would they do that - I mean come on How many people do you think actually know about the bad bearings or even know how to service their bikes? If people catch it GIANT does the right thing, but if they don't oh well there's $5 saved I know it's frustrating and if I was in your shoes I'd do the smart thing and order up a set of the Enduro's and replace those bearings before they not only go bad, but go bad and F8up your frame.

mtbr member
    In case you didn't see it, here's the tutorial I did up to help folkes with changing out their bearings. I was very concerned about doing it myself, but definitely would not have let the neanderthols at the local shop put their hands on it. After some weeks of himing and hawing I finally gave it a try and just like when I first serviced my fork, it turned out to be a very simple procedure - once you took your time the first time and double checked everything. All you need is a visit to a hardware store to buy the few nuts and bolts and some grease and you're good to go.

With regard to torquing up stuff, well that's something some would argue on quite extensively. There mechs out there that have been doing it so long they "know" when a bolt has reached the right torque - it's something gained after years of experience - and you can test it using a torque wrench to find out they're right. Then there's the wanbe's who haven't got a clue and wring the crap outta stuff. Snug up stuff till it's tight and then just give it a little more if you don't have a torque wrech to very stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by kingswoodkc
    The problem is, I don't know how to change the bearings myself. If I do it myself, chance is that I will screw up the whole thing.

The LBSs in my country are not as professional as those in U.S. or other countries. I am sure they will treat not it as a warranty issue and will tell me to pay for all the work on buying and replacing the bearings.

Money is a minor thing. My greatest fear is that they may screw up the whole thing if I pay them to change the bearings. I have not seen any LBSs using any torque measurement tool when servicing is carried out. They do it by 'feel'.

Having them screwed up the whole thing will get me more frustrated! I am really in a dilemma.

Members who have read this thread: 0