Trance Advanced 1 with 2.6'' tires alternative to FS 27.5" plus bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Trance Advanced 1 with 2.6'' tires alternative to FS 27.5" plus bike?

Im really interested in a FS 27.5" plus bike and have been looking at the Santa Cruz Hightower and Trek Fuel EX 9.8. Unfortunately Giant doesn't make a FS plus bike hence the interest in wider tires on the Trance. Currently ride a 2016 Anthem Advanced SX with Pike 130mm and a 2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8 FS with 27.5 wheels, 3.8" fat tires. The Trek fatty with 3.8" tires has given me an appreciation for wider tires though at a cost of agility. So now i'm looking for an all around trail bike with wider tires as an alternative to the pricier premium plus bikes.
    I would get the Hightower plus if price wasn't an issue. Unfortunately it is, so I'm looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 which I can get for $4200, out the door.
    Anyone have experience with riding a Trance with 2.6" tires? How does it ride compared to a plus bike with 2.8" tires? Clint Gibbs preferred the Trance with 2.6" tires over a Giant 27.5" Plus, though a Hardtrail. Any opinion or alternative bike option would be appreciate it.

NedwannaB
    Adam Craig was sporting them on the TAC1 he was on during a Demo outing I was with him. He seemed to like that tire setup a lot. But then again I think he likes all bikes a lot.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 288GTO View Post
    Im really interested in a FS 27.5" plus bike and have been looking at the Santa Cruz Hightower and Trek Fuel EX 9.8. Unfortunately Giant doesn't make a FS plus bike hence the interest in wider tires on the Trance. Currently ride a 2016 Anthem Advanced SX with Pike 130mm and a 2018 Trek Farley EX 9.8 FS with 27.5 wheels, 3.8" fat tires. The Trek fatty with 3.8" tires has given me an appreciation for wider tires though at a cost of agility. So now i'm looking for an all around trail bike with wider tires as an alternative to the pricier premium plus bikes.
    I would get the Hightower plus if price wasn't an issue. Unfortunately it is, so I'm looking at the 2018 Trance Advanced 1 which I can get for $4200, out the door.
    Anyone have experience with riding a Trance with 2.6" tires? How does it ride compared to a plus bike with 2.8" tires? Clint Gibbs preferred the Trance with 2.6" tires over a Giant 27.5" Plus, though a Hardtrail. Any opinion or alternative bike option would be appreciate it.
    Theres going to be too many differences there. Different geos, suspensions etc.

2.6 is more traction than previous skinny tires but barely consider it a plus tire size. Kind of like going from 2.2 to 2.4 tires, theres a difference but its a mid point between actual plus and regular. Hell many 2.8 tires out there are barely 2.6 at the treads anyway. Very few are actually true to size (measured at the tread, not at the sidewall on a overly wide rim for the tire like most do).

2.6 came to pass cause of the weight weenies going crazy over a 800-900g tire.

If the trance is boost, id be surprised if narrow 2.8s wouldnt fit, big deal wouldnt be width as much as diameter.

You could also simply go 2.6 rear and 2.8 front. Give you more traction in both areas while gaining the most up front where you need it. Keeping the rear a little lighter.

I went plus same as you, started riding fat and saw what there was to gain vs the extra weight. Fat bikes however are a bit much to lug around for normal trail use. I run a full 3.0 27.5+ hardtail. Waiting to find a need for FS now myself. Cost to match bike weight of my "heavy" hardtail in fs format is expensive!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'd imagine that Trance with 2.6" tires to be a great all-around bike.

The new Maxxis 2.6" tires are so good, at this point, I would not buy a bike that would not fit them. Also, I'm not a plus fan at all. The 2.6 seems to be the real sweet spot. Great traction. Fast roller. But still nimble, and not sloppy with hard riding/cornering.

The only thing that might be better for trail/AM riding than a 2.6 x 275 is maybe a 2.6 x 29, but that is yet to be seen. Might be too much of a good thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey so I was looking at the Trance Adv 1, Hightower, 5010 and a few others. But after test riding I bought the Ibis Mojo 3. New bike shipping today, so should have it next week!

Mojo 3 fits up to 2.8" though I choose to fit it with 2.6". With the Trance Adv 1 @ $5k, you can get the Mojo 3 GX Eagle build for less and Ibis lets you upgrade various parts a la carte. On spec the Adv1 is good value, but look into the Mojo 3 and try to demo it if you can.

The main difference is the Adv1 will give you carbon wheels at that price. But after test riding the Santa Cruz bikes on their Reserve carbon wheels, I could not notice a difference in feel or performance for my style of riding compared to Ibis wide alloy wheels.

mtbr member
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Got my first ride in the weekend on the Trance Adv 1 with WTB Ranger 2.8s front and rear (measure a hair over 2.6 on the Giant wheels) and it was quite nice.

I live in FL so I know they'll be nice on the trails here but this maiden voyage was at FATS in SC - a mostly flow trail with hardpack and few rocks. The tires hooked up great but like one poster mentioned, think a heavier knob 2.8 tire up front might be a great combo.

Another BIG advantage is overall tire diameter when jumping up in size. Went from ~27.5 from floor to highest knob on the Maxiss HRIIs to ~28.5 with the WTBs. Definitely felt more like a 29er once rolling, but with the agility most want when they buy a 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I upgraded the stock tires to 2.6 Maxxis minion dhf front and rear. I am definitely not looking back. I ride the rocky rooty technical New England trails and don't feel like I lost anything agility wise. I definately gained in traction however. These tires just grab on the rocks and roots and don't spin out. They also offer some noticeable damping/compliance. In fact once I got the PSI dialed in I had to make some small adjustments to front and rear suspension to compensate for the extra damping. I am not sure that they roll as fast as the skinnier ones but for where I ride they are fantastic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    For those who have went up to 2.6/2.8 on their Trance bikes, what width rim are you using? I have the stock 23mm rims on my Trance 2, and am looking to upgrade. I know technically 2.6 is supported by the frame, but I feel like on my skinny rims, even 2.4 moves around too much