Trance 29 Pro 1 or Pro 2?- Mtbr.com
    monster member

Trance 29 Pro 1 or Pro 2?

Hi everyone,

That other thread is too huge.

Anyone ever see the differences broken out between two new Trance 29 Pro models? I like the price of the Pro 29 2, but could afford the 29 1 if the extra $700 is worth it. Well, I think the green color is worth about $100 to me, so is the remaining $600 worth it?

How much lighter is the 29-1 vs the 29-2?
    Do you think the suspension is noticeably better?
    I read great things about the DVO shock... do you think a company like PUSH could re-valve the DPS to behave like the DVO? (Better mid-stroke ramp-up I guess.)
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    I'd pay the extra for the upgrades in front fork (Fox 34 Vs. Rhythm) rear suspension (DPX2 Vs DPS), drive train (GX Vs NX). If those aren't worth it to you, get the Pro 2.

I'm guessing there's over a pound of difference in there somewhere.
    The rear suspension is noticeably better. There are people who like the DPX2 Performance more than the DVO. I seriously doubt that Push could bring the DPS up to the DPX2 in performance, but maybe they can.

I got $500 off my Pro1 without even asking.

WillWorkForTrail
    When I pull the trigger it'll be on the 1 because of the suspension differences. I'm pretty certain that and the drive train are the only differences, although there may be some differences in the brakes, I didn't look.

monster member
    Thanks guys. A pound difference is pretty significant.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    It's not just DPX2 which is the most significant difference, but the dropper as well (mainly the lever).
    But, is it worth it? I'd say no.

GX and NX are basically equal and if you crash your derailleur, NX is cheaper to replace. There's some difference in cassette weight, but it's wear and tear part and later on I'd get X01 or XX1 to save a lot of weight and get more durable cassette.

Fox Performance vs Rythm - same fork with slighty heavier chasis on Rythm - 100 or 150gr I reckon but Perfomance comes with Kabolt axle that's lighter and requires allen key to remove.

Guide T vs R - same stuff, not that great brakeset.

If it were me, I'd get Pro 2, resell some parts if I wanted to drop weight and use the difference in money to get lighter and better parts.
    You can channel money difference into better cassette (XX1/X01), sell Guides for some Maguras, Formula Cura or Codes, get carbon bars, proper 1x dropper remote and even rebuild wheelset with same rims but DT Swiss 350 hubs with ratchet system to get better engagement, ease of servicing and much better reliability and durability - you even lose some weight on this.

All of this would cost you less than what you pay for Pro1 and most of the bike would be upgrade over Pro1. You'd even have money left for some new tires and other things.

I'd say Fox DPS is fine shock for this bike and it's questionable how much better DPX2 is going to be. Fox X2 would be ideal because of 4 way adjustment, but DPX2 is similar to DPS in this respect.

As for the weight:
    Pro1 is ~200-250gr heavier than Pro2 stock, but with the upgrades, Pro2 would be 200-300gr lighter than Pro1.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    As for the weight:
    Pro1 is ~200-250gr heavier than Pro2 stock, but with the upgrades, Pro2 would be 200-300gr lighter than Pro1.
    Not so sure...

NX cassette is 605grs, +150grs alone...
    Then the GRIP 34 is another 130grs heavier than the Factory.
    Saddle, Contact vs Contact SL... another 100grs

The difference may be closer ~400grs. Closer to 1 full pound.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Not so sure...

NX cassette is 605grs, +150grs alone...
    Then the GRIP 34 is another 130grs heavier than the Factory.
    Saddle, Contact vs Contact SL... another 100grs

The difference may be closer ~400grs. Closer to 1 full pound.
    Adv1 has Performance GRIP and Adv2 has Rythm GRIP
    Saddle is irrelevant as it's personal preference and unlikely to be ridden stock anyway and other components are the same SL level.

Furthermore, DPS is around 100grams lighter than DPX2.