Trance 29 dropper insertion length?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Trance 29 dropper insertion length?

Liking everything about the trance 29 except at 5'11" I'd want to size up to an XL to get the reach I like.

Since I'm only 5'11" and don't have super long legs, with the xl's 507mm seat tube I'd need to be able to slam a typical 150mm dropper right down to the seat clamp.

Anyone know if an XL frame will handle that or does the link/maestro pivot prevent it from being fully inserted?

Thanks in advance!

NedwannaB
    Singletrack mag has a 150 on a med. I would imagine that theres room to jam one down on an xl. Compare the med->xl seat tube lengths and based on where the seat post is to the collar in the vid you should be able to assess the fit. Either that, go to a shop and do a dry fit with one there or wait to see if someone with your scenario chimes in.

https://youtu.be/q7HNNaUtGmg
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    I think you're off with your sizing. At your height, you should be riding L.

Don't think the geo numbers tell the whole story. When you set your saddle height on Large, it's going to be further away from the bars than it's listed under geo chart.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I don't size based on reach personally, but the OP could be onto something. The Trance is not a big bike. I'm 6'2, 34 inseam, +2 ape on an XL with a 50mm stem. Depending on his limbs, he could certainly ride an XL.

I had a 6'5 guy test ride mine and it was obviously (and ridiculously) too small.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm a firm believer that local terrain and riding style will often dictate size preferences for those on the fence between sizes. In other words, what works for one 6 foot dude might not be the best feel for a different 6 foot dude.
    I'd have to agree that in most cases an XL in this particular bike is likely too big for someone 5'11. I'd expect you'd find the XL cumbersome to maneuver the front end around for any long periods of riding compared to a Large. Not that you couldn't make it work, just that a Large should fit your frame better.

You could always add a 10mm longer stem if you feel the need to stretch out. The STA of this particular bike still put's you further back the higher you raise the seat.

Grain of salt needed with this: but according to Giant's sizing charts you're at the high end of a Medium bike and low end of the range of a Large. Nowhere near XL size.
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/trance-29-2

All that being said, demo one of each on your local trails and pick the one that feels like home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Both of my current bike have reach numbers between 475-480mm and ETT in the 640-650 range. Not interested in going shorter, I have a pretty good handle on what I like geometry wise.
    One of my bikes has a 495mm seat tube and with a one-up 170 I have about 20mm of post showing. So the giants 507 would work but I'd need to be able to pretty much slam it.

I kinda thought someone might just know off the top of their head, sounds like best bet is as was suggested and ask an lbs who has one to check. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyWatson View Post
    Both of my current bike have reach numbers between 475-480mm and ETT in the 640-650 range. Not interested in going shorter, I have a pretty good handle on what I like geometry wise.
    One of my bikes has a 495mm seat tube and with a one-up 170 I have about 20mm of post showing. So the giants 507 would work but I'd need to be able to pretty much slam it.

I kinda thought someone might just know off the top of their head, sounds like best bet is as was suggested and ask an lbs who has one to check. Thanks for the feedback.
    Gotcha. You gotta ride what feels good.
    On my large I have about 2" of exposed post up top but I never tried inserting in any further than I needed, so on the XL which shares the same 150 dropper as the L and has a 1" longer seat tube, I'd imagine you could nearly bury it, if not fully.

Edit** Here's an XL with the factory post fully stuffed:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trance 29 dropper insertion length?-7046-1024x615.jpg  

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Xlr8n View Post
    Gotcha. You gotta ride what feels good.
    On my large I have about 2" of exposed post up top but I never tried inserting in any further than I needed, so on the XL which shares the same 150 dropper as the L and has a 1" longer seat tube, I'd imagine you could nearly bury it, if not fully.

Edit** Here's an XL with the factory post fully stuffed:
    Is that the 125 or 150 pist tho? Asking for a friend.😁
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Just measured the length of seat tube from pivot bolt to collar at 255mm on my medium. Would expect the pivot bolt is in the same location on an XL relative to the BB so extra tube length should = extra insertion capability.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    I'm 6' 3" and running a L frame, waiting for a 2020 XL frame.

Currently my 150 dropper has ~100mm of post showing, hoping the XL will eat most of that up...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Is that the 125 or 150 pist tho? Asking for a friend.😁
    You can tell your friend Trance 29's in L and XL both come equipped with 150mm droppers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Willdat? View Post
    I'm 6' 3" and running a L frame, waiting for a 2020 XL frame.

Currently my 150 dropper has ~100mm of post showing, hoping the XL will eat most of that up...
    Are you stating you are unable to insert it any further into the seat tube than 100mm from the collar? Factory Giant dropper? Mine goes in way further.

mtbr member
    No, he means that his dropper sticks out by 10cm, so his seatpost is about 30cm long, which is understandable considering his height and wrong bike size

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by MarinCRO View Post
    No, he means that his dropper sticks out by 10cm, so his seatpost is about 30cm long, which is understandable considering his height and wrong bike size
    gotcha