Trance 1 or Trance X1 for 2008- Mtbr.com
    2010 Glory custom FR

Trance 1 or Trance X1 for 2008

Hi Guys,
    I've got Trance 1 2007. I don't ride it a lot, but I like it. I ride it mainly in the city and flat fire roads.
    I have to choose bike for the next season.
    1. Trance 1
    - nice colors
    - Sram X.9 which I like very much
    - ca. 11,9kg w/o pedals

2. Trance X1
    - beautiful C&G
    - Shimano XT Shadow(?) RD + XT shifters, which seem to be similar to Sram Triggers, but I have never used them
    - ca. 12,5 w/o pedals

Which one would you choose?

thx for advices
    pozdro
    frango

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    Hi Guys,
    I've got Trance 1 2007. I don't ride it a lot, but I like it. I ride it mainly in the city and flat fire roads.
    I have to choose bike for the next season.

Are you sponsored, or do you just not like wearing the same frock twice?
    Last edited by Haggis; 08-14-2007 at 03:20 AM.

May contain nuts
    Last edited by Haggis; 08-14-2007 at 03:18 AM.

May contain nuts
    Last edited by Haggis; 08-14-2007 at 03:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Well... if you want 5" and 1.6kg of extra weight to pedal around on fire-roads and pavement, then get a Trance X. If you want have money to burn... replace you're perfectly working Trance with a new one.

On the Sram Vs new XT. Well, remember that XT still uses a 2:1 ratio, so it shifts smoothly, not clunk, clunk like SRAM. Also the Instant release definitely speeds up the shifts.

Just wondering why you need a new FS bike to do something a CX or HT bike could do?

2010 Glory custom FR
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Are you sponsored, or do you just not like wearing the same frock twice?
    I work for Giant

Quote Originally Posted by majura
    Well... if you want 5" and 1.6kg of extra weight to pedal around on fire-roads and pavement, then get a Trance X. If you want have money to burn... replace you're perfectly working Trance with a new one.

On the Sram Vs new XT. Well, remember that XT still uses a 2:1 ratio, so it shifts smoothly, not clunk, clunk like SRAM. Also the Instant release definitely speeds up the shifts.

Just wondering why you need a new FS bike to do something a CX or HT bike could do?
    fortunatelly it will cost me nothing
    concerning Sram vs XT - I think it's the other way round... 1:1 gives you smothness and all the Shimano RDs hit the frame... even XT and XTR Shadow.
    Well I like the way Maestro suspension works and pavements here are very rough

any other thoughts/ideas?
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Ahh, it all makes sense now! It just seemed so pointless to swap out a whole bike for no genuine reason...

Not to start a big S vs big S debate, but Shimano gear changes are smooth in comparison to Sram (at least in my experience), and Shadow RD's use similar 'direct pull' as Sram to avoid chainstay hits as well as smaller profile (12mm more inboard).

Hmm, well if you're not overly concerned with weight and speed... go the Trance X. If you're in the marketing side of things, I'd imagine a lot of customers would be 'wow'd' by the new frame design/5" as well as new Shimano. That way you would be able to have some more first-hand experience etc. especially when talking to dealers/customers.

If you end up not liking XT, then just swap out the X9 you have now. I'm also assuming that the new Trance will feel much the same as previous models. And those bumpy roads will be one inch less bumpy!

2010 Glory custom FR
    ok, thank you majura
    "bumpy roads will be one inch less bumpy" - I like that
    pozdro
    frango

Girt by sea.
    Get both bikes. After-all, it's not going to cost you anything. I mean, one has 4.2" of travel and the other has 5" of travel, so when you own both bikes, you'll have 9.2" more travel than you need.

Good luck with the decision, and please, let us know what you choose. I for one can hardly wait to find out which of these bikes (in your opinion) is best suited to the pavements around your place.

Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

2010 Glory custom FR
    brawo, stary :|
    pozdro
    frango

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i think shimano and sram are going to shift about the same if they are dialed in right... i agree try the x1 it will make the personal connnection about the bike easier when selling to dealers

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frango
    brawo, stary :|
    good one

Kacper,

I'd actually look the other direction, i think that for local riding the anthem might better idea.
    I know I know, it's a race bike, little travel etc.... But personally, after riding my old mans A1, I am thinking of switching my 07 T1 for one. And keep in mind, that i am on my second trance right one.

Locally, the anthem performs better, its faster and more nimble. If your not going to take it to the mountains or huck it (i think you use something else for that), i'd strongly consider taking this route.

Carbon.

Members who have read this thread: 0