Too Much vs Not Enough bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Too Much vs Not Enough bike

Nothing like after purchase jitters.

I drove around to my LBS to find out how my 17-Anthem2 is doing and figure out when to pick it up. They are replacing the 30tooth front chain ring with a 34 for me as my size/strenght/riding style would be better suited for the extra teeth on the crank.

So while waiting, I could not help but look around at the other bikes that are around, and then it gets me looking at the price tag on the bikes. So how do you go about difining what will be too much bike or getting not enough?

Part of me is still feeling rather guilt ridden for spending close to $3k on a bike. This is not a cheap purchase. But then looking around, I can't really find much in the FS bikes that is really all that much cheeper. I guess part of me is stuck back 14 years ago when got my last bike and it was then really expensive to me at around $2K, and at that time I was buying far more up-spec that the bike I just purchased. (ie had XT parts and nearer to the top of its group).

I know of trickle down effect, so I will stand to assume that if I was to do a comparison of the SLX I just got to the XT of what I have, the newer SLX will likely be better built and have more features than the kit of 14 years ago. But then again, there is the rule of price point, that just because it is newer, doesn't mean that its built better if it was built to meet a certain price point.

So looking past the bragging rights, does something like the Trance4 or even hard tail Fathom3 still give you a real decent bike? For someone who is not racing and just wants to have a decent bike to get out and have some fun on the trails, are you going to feel like you really wish you have more bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Totally relate to your post. That jittery feeling inspired by the act of shelling out 3k on my MTB; 1st time ever buying new instead of used. Then the 2nd guessing about model (travel) and package value. That aint fun, but getting to know your new ride is awesome. 3yrs later and glad it's you not me. If I was buying today it would be because the lotto was supplying the pocket change needed to get one of those $8k superbikes I've been lusting after.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    I have an fathom2 that has a few upgrades that I choose to ride everyday over my two other bikes that cost more than twice the amount of the fathom. Why, I just enjoy it an can not move on and it gets the job done and puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So how do you go about difining what will be too much bike or getting not enough?
    Since I've started riding I've realized that question doesn't have a black and white answer and only even makes sense within a given context. Most of use ride/race for fun and the bike we choose should simply be whatever fits our personal goals/wants and should be a financially responsible purchase.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I guess the question can then be directed to what advantages are they in buying slightly upscale in the bikes line?

I have read enough of the forums to see that there is a general disregard for many of the Suntour suspension forks. I gather that at the lower levels ($500-800) bikes, the comments are that the parts used were better designed for use on screen door closing pistons, rather than on bikes. Suntour does offer an upgrade program to take these lesser forks and upgrade them to a better air-oil design.

By comparison, the SR Suntour Raidon is supposed to be at least decent enough to do some off-road riding. I gather not looking to big drops or very rough terrain, but decent enough to give your good riding comfort and last.

Are you getting into effectively a racing bike as soon as you see Rockshox or Fox as the brand on your bike?

Along the same lines, Shimano Deore is the workhorse of the shifting and breaking. As you move up you are really gaining in the weight department and moving to 11 speed shifting and better hydraulics. I would assume that all of them will work, but I know from past experience with older bikes that degrees of working can be found, for instance, can the shifters work when under load like going up a steep hill. will the chain freely move into the higher gear without bouncing and jumping teeth?

I guess when I ask the question about too much bike, I am asking at what point does the bikes that are being sold cross over from a purely recreational and fun to ride bike, into a bike that is really being sold for a racing level and or podium standing?

XLR & XT I get are racing podium level.
    SLX - is this considered a lower end racing/high end recreational?
    deore- is this considered main stream or is this the new high or low?

Does it not really make much of a difference between what level of shifters you have, the bike manufacturers are just selling glam and you are buying into what level of ego you can afford? The parts used is just a method of upselling to the next bit higher as you think you are getting something really more when for most other than competition people it really wouldn't make a bit of difference?

mtbr member
    It depends on what you're doing with the bike. I wouldn't want to take a bike with a Raidon fork and Deore brakes down Whistler, racing or not. I have a Raidon fork, it doesn't do well through decent size drops, rocks, and high speed through anything not smooth. If you can't tell a difference between components then you have enough bike and don't need to worry about it.

mtbr member
    I own a '17 Giant Reign 2 & man I wish the front triangle (@ least) was carbon (mainly for the climbs)...

A steeper seat angle would be nice too, but money can't fix that o_0 (n+1??)

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    For me that is a good to hear. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out if I really needed a suspension bike or could get away with a hard tail. My conclusion was that FS was something that i would be unhappy without.

As you have said that the Raidon fork "doesn't do well through decent size drops, rocks, and high speed through anything not smooth." is enough justification for the purchase I made.
    Last edited by roadkill401; 01-19-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Rides all the bikes!
    There is no one bike that can truly do everything I want. So I decide what I want most right now, and buy that bike. I can either add to, or replace later when I feel different.

There is a reason I have a CX, TT, road, enduro, trail, XC, and commuter bike. And I still need more bikes (and replace some) as I have gaps in my desires.