Think i'm gonna get a Revelation for my Trance- Mtbr.com
    Scott is a tool.

Think i'm gonna get a Revelation for my Trance

Hey people, well after much deliberation i think im going to get a U-turn Revelation for my Trance. As some of you may have read in the past i contacted Giant Australia about doing this and they told me that they would not honour the warranty if anything went pear shaped. With this in mind i'm very reluctant to do this mod, but i really think that the chances of something going wrong, ie. headtube saying goodbye to front triangle, are fairly small and i will only be running it at 130mm a very small amount of the time.

So, what do you people think the chances are of things going wrong?

And, should i do it?

Cheers, Wal.

I AM I AM
    I've been running my Tora at 130mm for a while and really I can't see why there would be problems.

Just look at the '08 line up, the geometry of the trance X is in line with what the regular trance would be if you added that amount of travel. In other words they haven't substantially changed the frame design for the extra travel apart from of course the rear triangle. I could be wrong because I'm just using the simplistic view of every 10mm slackening the HA by 0.5deg.

My trance was 70.5deg HA initially and now at 130mm travel it would have a 69deg HA. By no means over the top. I think if I was to go over 130mm that's when I'd be a bit iffy or reconsider if I purchased the right bike!

Warranty, well I guess it's always the risk you take. But then even repainting your frame will void the warranty!

mtbr member
    I've been using Rev's on my Trance for the past 4 months - makes the bike fantastic on the downs

mtbr member
    I swapped out my Reba for a Revelation after 2 weeks. Been riding the bike for a year with no problems. In that sense, the Trance is an overbuilt bike.

Scott is a tool.

Cheers

Thanks team, small hiccup. The Rev i was looking at on ebay has had the steerer cut too short. Gettign prices for a new one today, i really want to make the swap.

Thanks again for the feedback!!

PS if you know of any good deals going around let me know!!

Wal.

I AM I AM
    It's probably worth sending Allen at DNZ an email, and maybe pick up an '07 for a good price. Either way prices are good compared to here in Oz....

I got my thomson post, stem, raceface handlebar off him so can vouch that he's good to deal with on top of having good prices.

http://www.dropnzone.com/Products.cfm?Cat=8

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There's a near new Pike 454 U-turn for sale on Farkin.net at the moment.

If you don't mind the bit of extra hassle to convert the front hub it's a great upgrade- very little added weight, travel adjust and the added rigidity of 20mm. A friend of mine has my old Pike u-turns on his Trance and loves it

mtbr member
    I wouldn't want to void a lifetime warranty on the frame. But, that's me, I'm cynical.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Hey Waldog.....

Waldog, have you been riding much ? Ive managed to catch yet another cold from the kids and have been lacking time on the bike.

I see you are up for the fork conversion again. I reckon the Pike option is going a bit far for the trance, if this was to be the direction you were heading then maybe you should have kept the reign Do you really miss the extra travel ? You said you would probably only use the 130 occasionally. Id probably be more likely to advise keeeping the trance how it is, save as much money as you can (no upgrades)riding its tits off for another year, then reassesing the situation and possibly getting a 09 trance x. Who knows, they may have yet another frame design by then Well this is my plan anyway

Im going to try to get out to Lysty this Sunday, are you keen ? Let me know.

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0