Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930
Results 2,901 to 2,973 of 2973
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by zaks View Post
    Hi,
    A newbie here, joined just a while back and now a proud owner of the 2017 Talon-2 27.5 , the pic is attached below. I have been mainly into road/rough-road biking till now using my Canondale Quick-5 but a couple of months ago went to the local trail riding trip (beginner) with a rented bike and got hooked. So after much search and tons of online reviews (the mtbr has been an invaluable source) I narrowed down to the Talon-2 for the budget I had.
    I chanced upon this thread which appears to be a gold mine for customization and really amazing to see the love for this bike and riding here. I had a chance to get the 2018 model but I instead went for the 2017 model since it has better components, the price of both was same. I hope to learn and enjoy this sport like many of you do.
    cheers
    I have a 2016 Talon 2, there's such a drop in quality on the components on the 2018, they also dropped the price and tweaked the geometry.
    I'm happy with it, I had to change the cassette after bending some gears on a rock, got a Deore XT, same ratios.
    other upgrade after one of my Tektro lever started leaking is Shimano SLX brakes, nice upgrade for the price.
    Changed the rear tire with a Maxxiss Ardent Race 2.2 for speed and an Ardent 2.4 or Forekaster 2.35 for the front (Forekaster is better at releasing mud and dead leaves)

Next step is trying to find a lightweight XC dropper that won't break the bank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I'm now getting some noise from what appears to be my bb. I want to upgrade that and while I'm at it my cranks. What do you guys suggest. I'd like to keep it 104 bcd so I can use my race face single ring. I don't want anything crazy either.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Hey Everyone, im looking into installing a dropper post on my 2016 Talon 4 medium frame. I been doing my research, but I am alittle a confused on the amount of travel I can get because it appears the waterbottle cage screws in the seat tube are in the way. Will 150mm drop fit or will I have to go 125mm? Or does it depend on the brand? I am looking at a PNW Cascade dropper

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    can you post the weight of the dropper when you get it?
    I don't think the screws should extend into the tube and jam the seatpost but you can use a flashlight to see. maybe file down the screws if they extend into the pipe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Well, its like the threads that the screws screw into, they are on the inside of the seat post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jun austria View Post
    The other major changer for this bike is a new set of wheels. I change mine with a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.8 on a i35 WTB rim. Riding it almost feels like my Giant Reign. My Talon just became more fun to ride.
    Did your bike start out as a 29er? I'm assuming it did to be able to fit the 27.5 plust tires in there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hey Guys!
    first post :P
    I was looking to upgrade my headset to a tapered one.. by perhaps using a Hope Headset has anyone Used Hope Headset before, as most of the threads had CaneCreek adapters on them. I am new to mtn- biking!
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasMntbker View Post
    Hey Everyone, im looking into installing a dropper post on my 2016 Talon 4 medium frame. I been doing my research, but I am alittle a confused on the amount of travel I can get because it appears the waterbottle cage screws in the seat tube are in the way. Will 150mm drop fit or will I have to go 125mm? Or does it depend on the brand? I am looking at a PNW Cascade dropper
    Someone who is 5'10" may be able to fit a 150mm dropper, while someone who is 5'6" may not. You have to measure. Put your fixed seat post all the way down until it bottoms out on those bottle cage bolts, then note how far it was inserted. Then measure from the top of the seat tube to your saddle rails. Now you can use the measurements on the PNW Cascade dropper to determine if the dropper collar will interfere with the top of the seat tube, or if the bottom of the dropper will interfere with the bottle cage bolts.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=802

Use this as a visual, but use PNW's measurements.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Martian77 View Post
    1x8 conversion with 32T Raceface Narrow-wide chain ring and bash guard.

Attachment 1212955
    Other than the ring and bash guard themselves, what else did you need for the 1x8 conversion? I'm considering doing this myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MichiganTrailBum View Post
    Other than the ring and bash guard themselves, what else did you need for the 1x8 conversion? I'm considering doing this myself.
    If your rear dťrailleur doesn't have a clutch, you will probably want some type of chain guide so that you keep some constant pressure on the chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I have a XC30 RockShox on a 2013 Talon 0 29er. Can anyone confirm that they are running a 29 x 2.4 or 29 x 2.3 tire in that fork? If so what tire, is it on the stock scx2 wheel, and can you give me an idea of what the clearance looks like. I would like to run a 2.4f/2.25r combo if it's possible

Live 2 Ride
    Less than a week old. Haven't been on a mountain bike in 2 years. It's about a half inch too big, but I love this thing.

Talon owners .....-2018-10-24-09.47.23.jpg
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    First post and new rider also on a 2019 talon 29er mines the lower talon 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by willowbeast View Post
    I'm now getting some noise from what appears to be my bb. I want to upgrade that and while I'm at it my cranks. What do you guys suggest. I'd like to keep it 104 bcd so I can use my race face single ring. I don't want anything crazy either.
    Shimano Saint

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch99xl View Post
    First post and new rider also on a 2019 talon 29er mines the lower talon 3

Thatís markham park, cool those are my home trails. Mine is a red and black 2018 talon so if you see one that might be me haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Love markham great cover and variety. quiet waters is my home trails I'm 5minutes from there. I rode delray yesterday thought that was awesome messed around in the jump line for a while.

Just recently put the raidon on and made it a whole new bike looking to do a 1x swap within the next couple weeks

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Love markham great cover and variety. quiet waters is my home trails I'm 5minutes from there. I rode delray yesterday thought that was awesome messed around in the jump line for a while.

Just recently put the raidon on and made it a whole new bike looking to do a 1x swap within the next couple weeks
    Congrats, I've just received my new air top cap and some tokens to add to my raidon fork. You might want to check out how to change the travel on it if you have not yet done so. only if you are wanting to go 120mm .

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Congrats, I've just received my new air top cap and
    some tokens to add to my raidon fork. You might want to check out how to change the travel on it if you have not yet done so. only if you are wanting to go 120mm .
    I was considering the 120mm change just haven't felt a need for it yet. Curious you mentioned the top cap and tokens for the raidon. I'm interested in making the fork a little more progressive but from the reading I've done suntour just recommends adding 80w into the air chamber I wasn't able to find tokens

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Cool I go night riding at quiet waters on Wednesdays.

I swapped to the Sram NX 11 speed group and never had an issue. It was a good choice. Thereís also a new NX 12 speed group if Iím not mistaken.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank0ch View Post
    Cool I go night riding at quiet waters on Wednesdays.

I swapped to the Sram NX 11 speed group and never had an issue. It was a good choice. Thereís also a new NX 12 speed group if Iím not mistaken.
    All I know for sure is I want 1x and a clutch derailleur from there I'm not sure what to go with or what will fit my current hubs, granted I know I'm upgrading the wheel set down the road the 21mm rims ain't gonna cut it

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I was considering the 120mm change just haven't felt a need for it yet. Curious you mentioned the top cap and tokens for the raidon. I'm interested in making the fork a little more progressive but from the reading I've done suntour just recommends adding 80w into the air chamber I wasn't able to find tokens
    You will need this:
    https://www.srsuntour.us/collections...nt=27528789379

and these:
    https://www.srsuntour.us/collections...nt=38394605262

We are to remove the yellow foam and replace with the rubber volume spacers. Nick from Suntour said "no more than 3 spacers for the Raidon".

You can cut the Yellow foam down but it seems like to much trouble so I'll be adding on or two spacers (I bought 3 just in case). You will need a 27mm socket. I have yet to receive my socket from amazon. Release all the air out of your fork first!!!. But you remove the current top cap, get the new top cap add your spacers (after removing the yellow foam) add some grease to the top cap to help seal it and screw it back on. Pump it back up and adjust your sag and so forth.

I have also cleaned up the grease inside the lowers and put it oil, that seemed to have made a difference this past fall. Looking forward to adding the spacers and seeing what that will do for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks good info there, I was tinkering with the fork last night and couldn't remove the pin holding the stop at 100mm I'll try again tonight with better tools

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thanks good info there, I was tinkering with the fork last night and couldn't remove the pin holding the stop at 100mm I'll try again tonight with better tools
    I used a drill bit and a hammer. Many youtube videos on this, mind you not specifically for the raidon but same process.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yeah I finally got it out tonight with no damage done. took it around the neighborhood for a test. I must say so far it feels good. I'll try it out tomorrow at the local trails. I did notice the rebound seems softer now though. Thanks for all the assistance

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Installed 2 of the 3 spacers last night. Seems to have made a difference but I can't test it out due to winter conditions. Over the holidays I'll remove one and play around with it in the basement as much as I can. I might clean out the oil in there and add some fresh gear oil. So my plan is revert to one, play around then add one or two more and try that then remove as I see fit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Talon owners .....-wp_20180107_15_18_32_rich.jpg

Interesting to see my Talons on the wall. Looking back, I can see the design changes received from 2012, 2017 & 2018.

I bought the Talon 1 2012(white frame) size Small since its the only bike available within my price range at that time.

Fast forward to 2016. I got me a Talon 2 2017(red frame) but size medium. It feels different from my old one not just on the size. But also the head angle. Its much slacker.

Then on 2017. I bought the Talon 3 2018(black frame). What convinced me to get another Talon is due to its internal cable routing. More cleaner. But theres another change that is very obvious to me. The size. This medium size frame is slightly longer reach compared to 2017 model in medium.
    On the trail, I realized. A hardtail that is slightly bigger then your recommended size is more stable when shredding. Specially with a plus size tyres.

I was eyeing the Fathom the other day in a showroom. Thinking of replacing my Talon with this. But when I check the head angle of the Fathom. The Talon is more slacker. So I still stick with my new Talon.

Just sharing and happy new year to all. And may you have more rides this year.
    Last edited by jun austria; 01-02-2019 at 08:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20180107_15_18_32_Rich.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	1231719

Interesting to see my Talons on the wall. Looking back, I can see the design changes received from 2012, 2017 & 2018.

I bought the Talon 1 2012(white frame) size Small since its the only bike available within my price range at that time.

Fast forward to 2016. I got me a Talon 2 2017(red frame) but size medium. It feels different from my old one not just on the size. But also the head angle. Its much slacker.

Then on 2017. I bought the Talon 3 2018(black frame). What convinced me to get another Talon is due to its internal cable routing. More cleaner. But theres another change that is very obvious to me. The size. This medium size frame is slightly longer reach compared to 2017 model in medium.
    On the trail, I realized. A hardtail that is slightly bigger then your recommended size is more stable when shredding. Specially with a plus size tyres.

I was eyeing the Fathom the other day in a showroom. Thinking of replacing my Talon with this. But when I check the head angle of the Fathom. The Talon is more slacker. So I still stick with my new Talon.

Just sharing and happy new year to all. And may you have more rides this year.
    Nice to see you here again and happy new years to you. I'll be playing around with my tokens in the Raidon fork. I'll try to remember to post some pics for others to see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hi, I owned Giant Talon 3 2018 i daily use it going to work and trail/xc on every sundays. the bike is very good and smooth ride, but sometime i get struggle on going uphill due to 8speed even i already shift the FD to 1, the elevation is too high to my cogs. I am planning to convert it to 1x11 deore xt gs. Do i need to replace the HUB? current is giant tracker sport, it was stock when i buy the talon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ss4k View Post
    Hello,

Yes that is the bottom cup I used. However, the product you linked is for both the bottom cup (EC44) and the top cup (ZS44). In my opinion, that is a great price for both and although adding the top cup is not necessary, it will work better and look better than the stock one.

I converted to 1x11 yesterday (took less than an hour with the right tools). I have not changed the stock crankset. I am sure that using an aftermarket would be "nicer" however at this point I cannot justify the cost. I will most likely wait until my current one starts giving me issues.
    Hi, what cup brand did you use in your talon? is it cane creek? is that all? i am planning also to change my fork to rockshox pike 150mm but i need more research and gather some information to make sure that i purchase the correct item i need. thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Hi Memer. You need a new hub for a 11 speed. Coz 8 to 11 is a big jump.

As for the head set for a new fork. You only need to replace the bottom cup.
    I used Cane Creek Headset Lower Part 40 1.5 EC44/40 for my Talon.

As for your choice of suspension. You will also need a new hub. Try to get a Boost suspension. Coz the Talon frame can fit a 2.8 wide tyres. And with be nice to have a boost suspension also. I learned this when I upgrade my tyres to 2.8. The 2.8 leaves about 3mm clearances when the tyre is pump to 20 PSI. Just my suggestion.

Talon owners .....-img-20180107-wa0002.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    copy that, about your fork upgrade, did you cut the tube or its already fix on the talon? maybe i go first for fork, it seems its very costly if i go gs. may i know what hub did you use? did you re-use the spokes? or you buy a new rim for that?

yes 2.8 look nice on your bike but i don't have a plan to replace my tyres but thanks anyway for the info.

here's mine:
    Talon owners .....-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Memer View Post
    copy that, about your fork upgrade, did you cut the tube or its already fix on the talon? maybe i go first for fork, it seems its very costly if i go gs. may i know what hub did you use? did you re-use the spokes? or you buy a new rim for that?

yes 2.8 look nice on your bike but i don't have a plan to replace my tyres but thanks anyway for the info.

here's mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	1231907

The REBA fork came from my medium size 2017 Talon. The size medium 2018 Talon is now sligthly bigger then the older model. Luckly, I still managed to fix the stem. But theres no more space for the spacer. As for your choice of suspension. Pike is way too expensive compared to your bike. And overkill for your hardtail. Its a good choice for a jump bike. But not for Talons frame geometry. Just my opinion. As for the hub. My bike is a complete re-build. I only kept the frame and the handlebar. I did that after getting my bonus last 2017 Christmas.
    Talon owners .....-wp_20171228_23_08_40_rich.jpg

My drivetrain is XT with the exception on the SLX crank.
    Break system and hubs are also XT.

Also when you progress. Those tyres will not cut anymore. I'm using Schwalbe Magic mary in front and Nobby Nics for the rear. Both 2.8 wide on i35 WTB rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    thank you, therefore rockshox pike is not recommended on talon frame. is rockshox reba fit on talon 3 small frame? got any idea about manitou machete forks? is this a good fork? for downhill trails. that is my last resort manitou forks

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Memer View Post
    thank you, therefore rockshox pike is not recommended on talon frame. is rockshox reba fit on talon 3 small frame? got any idea about manitou machete forks? is this a good fork? for downhill trails. that is my last resort manitou forks
    The REBA is a common choice for XC riders. And yes, it will fit your frame. You just need to get a lower cap adapter to fit the tapered tube of the suspension. As for choosing a suspension. You just have to keep in mind this 3 things. Availability, Reliability and Serviceability.

As for downhill trails. Since you are using a hardtail. I suggest changing your tyres to plus size. This is cheaper then getting a new full suspension bike. So your upgrade path should be...Get a BOOST suspension fork. Then when you save enough. Get a new wheel for plus size tyres. Just my suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    For all the members. Some general knowledge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8by3v688Ze8&t=907s

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Thank you for the knowledge jun, I learned a lot from you, now I am looking for rockshox reba boost suspension or if not I will try to check manitou fork with boost if there is available.

after that i will go for conversion of hubs and gs.

I'll post a pic here if my bike is now upgraded.

thanks,

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    You welcome. And don't forget to keep on riding.

Oh. I forgot. Theres one more thing you need when going downhill.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...prod82800?mx=a

I'm using this on my two Talons. This will prevent any drop chain. But you will need to replace your bottom bracket with a Hollowtech version.

Hope this will help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    You welcome. And don't forget to keep on riding.

Oh. I forgot. Theres one more thing you need when going downhill.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...prod82800?mx=a

I'm using this on my two Talons. This will prevent any drop chain. But you will need to replace your bottom bracket with a Hollowtech version.

Hope this will help.
    Great! thanks for that I will try to check it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Guys i check the x-fusion sweep SL 140mm fork reviews were fine, for you guys is this a good fork? it says XC/endo type fork. but my problem is, this a 15mm TA type so I need to change my hub that fit 15mm TA, so I plan to buy crimson gear+ hub. Now i need your experience if the giant talon 3 2018 frame fit the 15mm axle in the rear???

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    XC/ďEndoĒ is scary...
    Rear of Talons are QR. (138x9mm) 15mm hubs are for front and its different for rear (9mm or 12mm).

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jey328 View Post
    XC/ďEndoĒ is scary...
    Rear of Talons are QR. (138x9mm) 15mm hubs are for front and its different for rear (9mm or 12mm).
    thanks so, talon 3 frame fits 9mm and 12mm? its good to hear 15mm hub is just for front.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Correction on above. Itís typo: should be 135*. If itís 12mm, there should be a converter to fit its QR drop-out. To avoid confusion, just buy a QR hub for rear

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jey328 View Post
    Correction on above. Itís typo: should be 135*. If itís 12mm, there should be a converter to fit its QR drop-out. To avoid confusion, just buy a QR hub for rear
    Thanks to that and yes the seller said there's adaptors free where you can convert the 12mm to 9mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Should fit fine, the overall width is the same. With an 11-speed the gears are closer together and the chain is skinnier. I have mounted 11-speed cassettes fine on wheels that are over 10 years old and were labeled as 8/9 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have a 2017 US Giant Talon 3. I want to upgrade it to a 1x11 with a sunrace 11-46 cassette. I plan to upgrade the rear derailer and the front chain ring and chain.
    I called the store I bought the bike from and was told I can only fit an 8 speed cassette on the stock wheel/free hub. Has anyone fit an 11 speed cassette on the stock wheel/free hub. How about a 10 speed even? I was ready to order everything but stopped when I called. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare74 View Post
    I have a 2017 US Giant Talon 3. I want to upgrade it to a 1x11 with a sunrace 11-46 cassette. I plan to upgrade the rear derailer and the front chain ring and chain.
    I called the store I bought the bike from and was told I can only fit an 8 speed cassette on the stock wheel/free hub. Has anyone fit an 11 speed cassette on the stock wheel/free hub. How about a 10 speed even? I was ready to order everything but stopped when I called. Thank you!
    I (the shop) had to replace the wheel in order to fit a 11-speed SRAM NX cassette. At first they told me it was possible doing it on the stock wheel but then I donít know what happened (I think they screwed it up) and got me a new wheel (at close out price) so the cassette could fit. Overall it was a good update. The wheel is the alexrims DP25 but I think they donít make it anymore.

Thatís my experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Many of us have fit a sunrace or shimano 11-46 on the stock rims with no issues.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi al

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere - can anybody confirm what type of bottom bracket is used on the 2019 models? Is it a 73mm threaded BB like on earlier models?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Hey all!

I have a 2018 talon 3 29er that I'll be picking up from my lbs around march. I'm already planning to upgrade the fork to either a Raidon w/ remote lockout or a RS Recon RL. I have some extra money I can spend on other upgrades thanks to an atta boy bonus at work (but it has to be from REI or Amazon because of how the bonus is given). Would a 1x11 slx upgrade be worth it? And could that cassette fit in the frame with the stock wheel? I can get pretty much everything but the chain at REI (wouldn't do the cranks).

If you don't think the 1x11 is worth it, what other upgrades would you recommend (keeping the total spending around 150).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    By the time you buy those upgrades separately, couldn't you $ wise have just bought a fathom 2 off the bat?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DarnGood View Post
    By the time you buy those upgrades separately, couldn't you $ wise have just bought a fathom 2 off the bat?
    I don't think so because of how the work thing is paid out. Plus I like the idea of doing the upgrades myself, I've always enjoyed mechanical work of that nature.

So, if putting that much money for a drivetrain upgrade isn't worth it, should I just do the raceface nw chainring and call it a day there? I definitely understand the whole just putting it toward a better bike thought, but that's not really an option I have. I plan to ride with this one for at least a couple years before upgrading to a full suspension trail bike (probably a stance or trance).

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I wouldn't be dead set on 1x simply because it's a trend. Ride the bike a while first then decide what range you need, and if you're riding stuff where you'd get chain slap/drop.

Fork upgrade I would make priority but for $150 budget that's tough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I wouldn't be dead set on 1x simply because it's a trend. Ride the bike a while first then decide what range you need, and if you're riding stuff where you'd get chain slap/drop.

Fork upgrade I would make priority but for $150 budget that's tough.
    Oh, fork upgrade is a separate thing. Getting that as a congrats for finishing my masters. So the $150 is just for any other qol improvements I can make. On my current bike (trek 820) I pretty much live on the middle ring on the trails, so I figured a 1x conversion would make sense. Though, if all it does is save weight at that point it's probably a little silly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes, go 1x . I did it to my talon and no regrets. I'm in the process of doing it to my 7 year old sons trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yes, go 1x . I did it to my talon and no regrets. I'm in the process of doing it to my 7 year old sons trek.
    Did you overhaul the entire driveline? Or just put a single front chainring on?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    You need to change the whole system. Stock derailleur does not have a clutch, thatís one of the reasons. Also you need more gear range, 8 speeds wonít get you too far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hey all just upgraded to a 2018 Talon 2 29er!
    Got it used and only paid $450 which I though was a decent price. Its a huge improvement over my 8 year old Trek. Looking forward to upgrading some parts and lots of trails
    Talon owners .....-20190120_142427.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I backtracked a little and decided to get a fork off of Amazon so I can use my bonus on it to get a decent one for less out of pocket. There are a lot of options but I've pretty much narrowed it down to the following:

Manitou Markhor (https://www.amazon.com/Manitou-Markh...099872&sr=1-14). Only dislikes with this one are the reverse arch (or whatever that is called) and how a mud guard would play with that and it doesn't come with (and doesn't seem to be upgradable to) remote lockout.

Suntour Epixon (https://www.amazon.com/SR-Suntour-Ep...utdoors&sr=1-7). Lots of these on amazon for this price, not sure if it's too good to be true or not. I like that it comes with remote lockout.

RockShox Recon RL A2 (https://www.amazon.com/RockShox-RECO...AM0AG6FE8RG2WP)
    Has motion control and remote lockout.

I'm not sure if any of these are clearly superior to the others (or if any would not work with the Talon). I'm not really worried about fork weight at this point in my riding. Look forward to your feedback. I'll probably try to pick up the fork in the next couple days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I got the Epixon, I got a while ago on sale and it was way cheaper than the Recon or Manitaou at the time. It works great. Some people are bash Suntour because they're only familiar with XCT. I'm curious how that one would have retail package, most of them in that price range are OEM ones with no package.

With those 3 roughly the same price I would just get the RS because of reputation and shops will stock the service kits. Also I think you may be able to extend the recon to 120mm with a new air shaft but I'm not 100%.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I got the Epixon, I got a while ago on sale and it was way cheaper than the Recon or Manitaou at the time. It works great. Some people are bash Suntour because they're only familiar with XCT. I'm curious how that one would have retail package, most of them in that price range are OEM ones with no package.

With those 3 roughly the same price I would just get the RS because of reputation and shoos will stock the service kits. Also I think you may be able to extend the recon to 120mm with a new air shaft but I'm not 100%.
    I think I've read the same thing about extending travel on the Recon. I was leaning the RS since it's the newer version with motion control (apparently the ones without have terrible damping).

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got the fork! Now just need the bike

On a side note, do forks normally come with the axles or are you meant to buy them separately? This one uses a 9mm QR but didn't include one (I assume I can just use the stock one from the bike). Not an issue if not, just found it odd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    You bought a fork before the bike??

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevins View Post
    You bought a fork before the bike??
    It's kinda convoluted, but yes. The bike is on layaway with my LBS (figure riding season is kinda hit or miss this time of year so there's no rush) and had some reward money from work that could only be used on Amazon, so decided to get a fork since consensus is that it makes the biggest difference. Want this bike to last me a long time as a rider, so it made sense to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Got the fork! Now just need the bike

On a side note, do forks normally come with the axles or are you meant to buy them separately? This one uses a 9mm QR but didn't include one (I assume I can just use the stock one from the bike). Not an issue if not, just found it odd.

QR normally comes with the hub if you buy them separately. Only Thru-Axle fork comes with an axle. This is in reference to RockShox. Not sure about other brands. Is that the new RECON?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    2018 recon RL. Got it for $250 on Amazon. Should be about as much fork as I need on this bike in my area (SE MI)

Thanks for the info on the axles. I'll just use the one the bike comes with then.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    i dont understand, why to upgrade an entry-level like talons, with single crackset, rockshox-fox forks, etc.

even a trek marlin 6 with genesis geometry is better than any talon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Looking at changing the brakes on a 2017 talon 3 to the Shimano SLX m7000. I have 180 mm rotors on front and back. What mounts do I need?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by garcha View Post
    i dont understand, why to upgrade an entry-level like talons, with single crackset, rockshox-fox forks, etc.

Wow in the wrong forum or what?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by garcha View Post

That's like saying why do people upgrade their Honda Civics.. They are entry level cars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got the bike! 2018 Talon 3 29er. Went for the 2018 because I liked the color scheme more. I transferred my raceface Chester pedals and half Nelson grips from my old bike. Will be putting the Rockshox fork on it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Got the bike! 2018 Talon 3 29er. Went for the 2018 because I liked the color scheme more. I transferred my raceface Chester pedals and half Nelson grips from my old bike. Will be putting the Rockshox fork on it this weekend.

Nice and congrats! I really don't get all the squawking towards this bike. It's a damn good bike which won't break the bank.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare74 View Post
    Looking at changing the brakes on a 2017 talon 3 to the Shimano SLX m7000. I have 180 mm rotors on front and back. What mounts do I need?
    You already upgraded the stock 160 rotors to 180? Use the same mounts you're running now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Last update for a while, better lit pic plus the new fork (Rockshox Recon RL). Also added red valve caps just because.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 202627282930

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.