Talon owners ..... - Page 16- Mtbr.com
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
Results 3,001 to 3,103 of 3103
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The fork is threadless. It's held captive by your stem and tensions adjusted by the stem cap. If you're buying it new, some forks come with the star nut. You might want to pickup a star nut installation tool for $20.

If it's new, measure 3x before cutting, then measure again. It's an expensive mistake if you cut it too short! Add a spacer on the top cap just in case you want the handlebar higher or you plan on selling it later.

You may need a new crown race if it's a new fork.

Lotsa YouTube vids out there on installation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinimon View Post
    The fork is threadless. It's held captive by your stem and tensions adjusted by the stem cap. If you're buying it new, some forks come with the star nut. You might want to pickup a star nut installation tool for $20.

If it's new, measure 3x before cutting, then measure again. It's an expensive mistake if you cut it too short! Add a spacer on the top cap just in case you want the handlebar higher or you plan on selling it later.

You may need a new crown race if it's a new fork.

Lotsa YouTube vids out there on installation.
    I appreciate the install insight. I didnt realize I would need a crown race.

I think now that i have been looking at new fork options again I recall most of the details I needed to know. I need a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube, quick release 9mm axle, 100-120mm travel, disc brake only mounts for 160-180mm rotors,and forks specific for 27.5 wheel size.

That being said, at this point I am looking for specific forks to fit this Giant Talon 3 that people here are using and recommend.

So far I am seeing the
    1.Manitou Marvel forks ( Nobody seems to have them now)
    2. Suntour Epixon (found these for $235 if you know where I can get them cheaper please let me know)
    3. Rok Shox of some model? I cant seem to find the EXACT model people with the Talon 3 are using.

The Rok Shox model seems to be popular because bike shops keep wear parts on hand for these???

Opinions, details, and recommendations on where to buy them would be greatly appreciated on these options. Thanks again for the install advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbed06 View Post
    I appreciate the install insight. I didnt realize I would need a crown race.

I think now that i have been looking at new fork options again I recall most of the details I needed to know. I need a straight 1 1/8 steerer tube, quick release 9mm axle, 100-120mm travel, disc brake only mounts for 160-180mm rotors,and forks specific for 27.5 wheel size.

That being said, at this point I am looking for specific forks to fit this Giant Talon 3 that people here are using and recommend.

So far I am seeing the
    1.Manitou Marvel forks ( Nobody seems to have them now)
    2. Suntour Epixon (found these for $235 if you know where I can get them cheaper please let me know)
    3. Rok Shox of some model? I cant seem to find the EXACT model people with the Talon 3 are using.

The Rok Shox model seems to be popular because bike shops keep wear parts on hand for these???

Opinions, details, and recommendations on where to buy them would be greatly appreciated on these options. Thanks again for the install advice!

The Manitou Marvel was a great upgrade option for the Talon - but like you've found, they seem to be harder to find now. Manitou replaced the Comp level Marvel with the Markhor, you may have better luck finding that as it is the newer replacement.

The Suntour air forks are pretty decent - the Axion/Epixon family are good value.

Rockshox, probably the 30 Gold. It is where you go from a coil spring into an airspring.

Personally, on my Talon - I went Manitou Marvel but that was a few years ago now. You can also change out your lower headset cup to allow the use of tapered forks to increase your fork selection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I had installed a 2019 model Rockshox Recon RL on my older GT bike (didn't want to spend a lot for an older cheapie bike) and transplanted it into my Talon 1. So far, for my riding style/skill, it's working out well. Maybe next year if I outgrow this one or find it limiting, I'll step it up.

I've seen some new 2016/2017 Rebas on ebay for under $300. Not sure how they compare to the 2019 models. It's taper steer tube, you'll have to upgrade your lower riser to an EX44-40 external cup.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by syphen View Post
    The Manitou Marvel was a great upgrade option for the Talon - but like you've found, they seem to be harder to find now. Manitou replaced the Comp level Marvel with the Markhor, you may have better luck finding that as it is the newer replacement.

The Suntour air forks are pretty decent - the Axion/Epixon family are good value.

Rockshox, probably the 30 Gold. It is where you go from a coil spring into an airspring.

Personally, on my Talon - I went Manitou Marvel but that was a few years ago now. You can also change out your lower headset cup to allow the use of tapered forks to increase your fork selection.
    Thanks for the input, I was able to locate the Manitou Markhour fork. I am reading reviews on them now. They seem to be about $30 cheaper than the Suntour epixon option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I dont feel like removing the old crown race from my suntour xcm forks when I replace the forks. I just want to have the new for ready to slide in with crown race installed.

Is this the correct crown race for the headset in the Talon 3?

https://takeahikeshop.com/products/f...nt=36852931854

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have a 2018 Talon 2 27.5 looking for some recommendations on some upgrades. I love the bike its a large frame if that makes any difference

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Bobbed, Looks good. You will either need buy/borrow or make your own installation jig. Some good YouTube vids out there on how to make it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    V1ru5, I would say the best upgrades would be the fork and add a dropper post. Maybe a bashguard with chainguide? Maybe not a chainguide if your rear derailleur has a clutch.

If you want other upgrades for the sake of upgrading, you can switch to a sealed bearings headset, might have to (at least the bottom race) if you get a taper steer tube fork. Maybe wider rims, experiment with 1x system, new cranks? Certainly no shortage of "bling" upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Bobbed, Looks good. You will either need buy/borrow or make your own installation jig. Some good YouTube vids out there on how to make it.
    Thanks! There were so many options on the crown race so I was hoping that was the correct one. Yea, I saw the how to crown race install tool. That is an easy tool to make. I already have that stuff anyways.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I have already been looking at forks and droppers. I may do a dropper first. Looking to swap out some new pedals too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ru5 View Post
    I have already been looking at forks and droppers. I may do a dropper first. Looking to swap out some new pedals too!
    The fork and wheelset will be where you save a ton of weight - they are also the big ticket items in terms of cost. The rest tends to be bling. I don't use a dropper on my Talon but I have had them on all my Trances. They are very useful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I've been riding without a dropper for the past couple years and honestly now that I think about it, it only seems more like a novelty for me. Is there a certain go to fork for the talons? From what I read these bikes arent the most aftermarket friendly

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by v1ru5 View Post
    I've been riding without a dropper for the past couple years and honestly now that I think about it, it only seems more like a novelty for me. Is there a certain go to fork for the talons? From what I read these bikes arent the most aftermarket friendly
    Yeah, I hear ya on the dropper. I never had a dropped until now and don't think I could go back to not having one.

As for forks, there's a sheeet load of forks out there. I'm not a hard rider so my 2019 Recon RL seems to be working out well for my level. If you stick to a 1 1/8" straight steer tube fork, you can reuse your current headset. If you switch to 1.5" to 1 1/8", you will need to change out the bottom riser to an external one.

If you're swapping out forks and thinking about upgrading to lighter/wider rims, that would be a good time to consider going to a 15x100mm or 15x110mm or 20x front axle. Unfortunately, the Talons only have a 135mm QR rear axle so it's slim pickings. the good news is, some hub manufacturers make conversion kits for 142mm hubs to 135mm.

Everything else on the Talons are pretty aftermarket friendly.

ndr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm looking to change my 2015 Talon 1 to a 1x10 setup. I currently have it setup as a 2x10, having removed the big ring, replaced it with a bash ring, and adjusted the limit screws on the derailleur.

I have a few questions. If I replace the middle chain ring with a narrow-wide (remove bash, use short bolts), keep the stock rear mech (long), will I need a chain guide? If so, what style can I use? I don't believe the bike has ISCG mounts. So, BB Mount or BB to ISCG adapter? If I wanted to go with an oval narrow-wide chain ring (e.g. absolute black), what are the best guide options then?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    If your derailleur is clutched, then no need for a chain guide since you'll have a narrow wide. I ran mine 1x10 with an X9 clutched rear derailleur and a 30t narrow wide and never had any issues.

ndr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by acedeuce802 View Post
    If your derailleur is clutched, then no need for a chain guide since you'll have a narrow wide. I ran mine 1x10 with an X9 clutched rear derailleur and a 30t narrow wide and never had any issues.
    According to the online specs, it has the following rear derailleur: Shimano XT, Shadow

I honestly don't know if that's a clutched mech or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    From what I've read, the XT Shadow has a built in clutch. I'd say give it a solid test ride with the NW chainring and if you get any dropped chain, then start looking into a chainguide.

Like you said, a chainguide in BB or ISCG05 with a BB to ISCG05 adapter. Or better yet, a bashguard with chainguide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ndr View Post
    I'm looking to change my 2015 Talon 1 to a 1x10 setup. I currently have it setup as a 2x10, having removed the big ring, replaced it with a bash ring, and adjusted the limit screws on the derailleur.
    [...]
    According to the online specs, it has the following rear derailleur: Shimano XT, Shadow

I honestly don't know if that's a clutched mech or not.
    Check your front shifter, mine had a tiny switch to go from 3x to 2x (it got flicked in a fall and I couldn't understand why I couldn't drop to my smallest crank!).

If I recall, only the Shadow Plus had the clutch (I have the same derailleur as you on my 2016 Talon 2).

ndr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc-514 View Post
    Check your front shifter, mine had a tiny switch to go from 3x to 2x (it got flicked in a fall and I couldn't understand why I couldn't drop to my smallest crank!).

If I recall, only the Shadow Plus had the clutch (I have the same derailleur as you on my 2016 Talon 2).
    You are absolutely correct. I looked it over yesterday, and determined it doesn't have a clutch. Did some reasearch, and yes, the Shadow PLUS has the clutch added.

I have ordered a chain guide as I'm pretty sure I'll be needing one!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Luc-514 View Post

You're right. I just looked up specs for the 2016 Talon 2 and it has Deore Shadow derailleur which has stiffer springs but it does not have the clutch like the Shadow+.

ndr
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm looking to do the service on my RockShox 30 Gold TK myself this year. I've found a bunch of videos on how to service the solo air side, but not the TK damper side.

Does anyone know a good video for RochShox TK Damper service? I was also wondering, is there a better damper that can be fit to this fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ndr View Post
    I'm looking to do the service on my RockShox 30 Gold TK myself this year. I've found a bunch of videos on how to service the solo air side, but not the TK damper side.

Does anyone know a good video for RochShox TK Damper service? I was also wondering, is there a better damper that can be fit to this fork?
    Isn't it just changing the o-ring seals, draining/cleaning out the old oil and replacing it?

Have a look at this vid:

Check this vid:

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Picked up a 2020 Talon 2 27.5 last week. With the cold weather have only been able to go for just a very short ride. Hoping for a little warmer weather to get at least one decent ride before winter starts. Considering this bike is replacing a late 1990s Trek 7000, it feels quite different to say the least. So far all I changed are the pedals. May switch to a narrower handlebar, most 1990s mountain bikes used only 580mm wide bars, so the 780mm bar on the Talon feels so much different. Did quite a bit of research before purchasing the bike, seems like Giant has the best value in the $800 or under price range. I believe this is the only bike in that price range that can be found with a Rockshox fork, granted its just an XC30 fork. So far pretty impressed with the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Congrats on the Talon. The next major upgrade might be to get an air fork. Solid bikes. I'm still riding my Talon 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Congrats on the Talon. The next major upgrade might be to get an air fork. Solid bikes. I'm still riding my Talon 1.
    Maybe down the line I'll go with an air fork. Unfortunately in the US here we can only purchase the Talon 2 or 3 for 2020 in 27.5. Other countries can get a Talon 1 that has an SR Raidon air fork and SRAM Eagle SX drivertrain. If the Talon 1 was available in the US, I would of went with that model.

Whats even more interesting on the Giant bicycles Internantional website there are additional models such as the Talon 1 GE, Talon 2 GE and Talon 3 GE which are slightly different than the regular versions. For example the Talon 1 GE has the Rockshox XC30 fork (same as Talon 2) but it has a Shimano Deore 2 x 10 drivetrain. Anyone know the significance of the GE model designation ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Those Talon GE models look like a cheaper version of the regular Talon line. Talon 1GE for example, 26/35 crank with a 11x36 cassette, cheaper spring fork, 730mm handlebars. At least they use Shimano Altus brakes vs Tektro M275 (not sure if it's a big step up).

mtbr member
    Just finished my second major upgrade to my Talon 2, a 1x10 drivetrain.

Total cost was right at $200, with everything being bought off Amazon.
    The one cheap part I bought was the narrow wide chain ring. Otherwise I went with middle of the road quality on the other parts.

-FOTMOR 30T Chainring
    -SRAM GX 2x10 2.1 rear derailleur
    -SRAM GX 10 speed shifter
    -SRAM 10 speed chain
    -Sunrace MX3 11-40 cassette

I am beyond amazed at how much better the shifts are with the Sram setup. The shifts are quicker, and mush more precise. The clutched derailleur also made the ride super quiet. I was riding 1x9 on my factory cassette for about a month and found I had a low enough gearing to climb my local trails. But now that I got the 40 on the rear cassette climbing is super easy. I also saved 15g on the new cassette vs the old, but I 'm not sure how much of a difference that made.

So now that I have the airfork, and 1x10 done, my next upgrade is going to be a dropper post. I found that the downtube opens right up to the seat tube as well. So running a internal cable will be no problem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Nice job! I keep meaning to remove my cassette to see if I have a 10spd or 11spd freehub. Maybe later this winter.

As for the dropper, I could only get a 125mm Giant Contact dropper to fit in my Talon 1. I originally bought the 150mm but it was about 1" too long. The damn water bottle screws stops it from inserting deeper. I think I have about 5mm before the dropper bottoms out on the seat tube.

I'm 5'10" with an 31" inseam and 35.75" from the ground to saddle rails.

You can internally route the dropper cable. It's a little tricky running it up the seat tube. I used a cut down wire hanger from the dry cleaners with a a small "L" hook at the end to coax the end of the cable housing upwards while feeding it from the front of the bike. Just try not to kink it. Doesn't hurt to lightly grease the dropper cable to help it from binding.

I recently picked up one of those pickup tools that's on a long flexible hose with a retractable claw at the end for next time. Sure wished I had that when I ran my cable and before I ran out of cuss words. lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    First time poster... Just acquired a slightly used 2019 Talon 2. My first mountain bike with any suspension at all. Quite an upgrade from my mid-90's Mongoose rigid frame. Lots of knowledge to get through here. I "think" that I will eventually need a larger chainring than 36t, since I plan on doing some distance gravel rides in addition to singletrack xc type rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    2020 Talon 2 - Looking at getting a dropper post. Is the frame capable of taking an internally routed cable or can it only take externally routed cable? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpuglisi View Post
    2020 Talon 2 - Looking at getting a dropper post. Is the frame capable of taking an internally routed cable or can it only take externally routed cable? Thanks
    Internal if you got rid of the front derailure.

Feed the housing through the right side frame port. Then fish the wire over the top of the bottom bracket going from the down tube to seat tube.

I got a PNW 150mm dropper installed. Itís tall, but it fits me well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    You can go internal. It's a bit tricky to get it up the seat tube. I used a coat hanger, cut and straightened with a small hook at the end to catch the end of the cable housing and direct it up the seat tube.

I tried a Giant 150mm and it was a hair too tall and the dropper was already bottomed out on the water bottle mounting screw backing nut that's inside the seat tube. A OneUp 150mm might fit. I ended up returning it for a 125mm Contact dropper. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

I ended up picking up one of these for future cable routing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thanks for the responses. I have a small size frame, which doesn't have a bottle mount on the seat tube, so that may be something in my favour.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020

Will a 180mm rotor fit in my frame?

Hi guys! I'm currently riding a 2019 27.5 Talon 3 s size. Was thinking of upgrading the rear brake rotor from a 160 to a 180mm rotor. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and whether the rotor will fit the frame. Any advice would be welcome. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDropZone View Post
    Hi guys! I'm currently riding a 2019 27.5 Talon 3 s size. Was thinking of upgrading the rear brake rotor from a 160 to a 180mm rotor. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and whether the rotor will fit the frame. Any advice would be welcome. Cheers!
    You can fit a 180 in the rear with the proper spacer but I don't know if it's really worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hey all. Just picked up the 2020 talon 3 and would like to convert it to a 1x. What would be the easiest way to do it and would I need to change the cranks?

mtbr member
    I didnít change my cranks of my Talon 2 when I went 1X. Just took off the smaller chain ring, and replaced the larger one with a narrow wide 30T.

But if you decide to replace the cranks completely, youíll need the special wrench for removing the bearings.

But hereís the parts I bought to do my swap.

Sunrace 11-50 10 speed cassette
    SRAM GX 10 speed derailleur
    SRAM 10 speed shifter
    SRAM 10 speed chain
    30T Narrow Wide

Got it all from Amazon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_In_AZ View Post
    I didnít change my cranks of my Talon 2 when I went 1X. Just took off the smaller chain ring, and replaced the larger one with a narrow wide 30T.

But if you decide to replace the cranks completely, youíll need the special wrench for removing the bearings.

But hereís the parts I bought to do my swap.

Sunrace 11-50 10 speed cassette
    SRAM GX 10 speed derailleur
    SRAM 10 speed shifter
    SRAM 10 speed chain
    30T Narrow Wide

Got it all from Amazon.
    Do you find the lack of higher-speed gearing to be an issue? Having the top range on the factory version being a 11/36 combo going to an 11/30 setup seems limiting? Maybe since I'm using mine as a general purpose bike in addition to light trails, I need to just stick with the 2x setup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm13 View Post
    Do you find the lack of higher-speed gearing to be an issue? Having the top range on the factory version being a 11/36 combo going to an 11/30 setup seems limiting? Maybe since I'm using mine as a general purpose bike in addition to light trails, I need to just stick with the 2x setup?
    My bike is really a trail only bike. So rarely do I even get into the 11 or 13 cog. However the few times I have ridding it on the street, I still found the 11 or 13 to be plenty of gearing for going about 20mph on the street.

I personally bough the 30T sprocket first, installed it on my bike with the factory 9 speed cassette, and ran it that way for a few weeks. I was able to tell with very little cost if 1X was what I wanted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Not sure if the crankset on the Talon 3 have removable chainrings or not, if so, you're in luck. As NorCal pointed out, if they are removable and not riveted in, remove the smaller chainring and replace the larger one with a narrow-wide one.

You will need a crank arm puller to remove your arms from the cassette 'cause it looks like the Talon 3 uses a sealed cartridge instead of a threaded BSA 68/73 bottom bracket.

With only a 12-36 cassette, you might want to look at 28t chainring unless you plan on upgrading the cassette as well and jump to 10spd or you don't have too many hills to climb and got strong legs. Then you'll have to get a new shifter and cassette, possibly a new derailleur or goat link.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    My bike is really a trail only bike. So rarely do I even get into the 11 or 13 cog. However the few times I have ridding it on the street, I still found the 11 or 13 to be plenty of gearing for going about 20mph on the street.

I personally bough the 30T sprocket first, installed it on my bike with the factory 9 speed cassette, and ran it that way for a few weeks. I was able to tell with very little cost if 1X was what I wanted.
    Cool. I have rarely used the 36/22 combo on my bike (anything I've got around here I've dropped to 30/22 and done fine), so perhaps a 1x with 11-50 and a 34 front is an option for me. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Hi everyone,
    I own a Talon 1 2020 27.5 from Japan.
    I was thinking of adding a Giant Contact switch. I wasn't sure as to which to get.
    There are two models:
    I am 5'11 and my bike size is a Medium (430mm).
    2018 CONTACT SL SWITCH which go from 100mm, 120mm, and 150mm.
    2019 CONTACT S SWITCH which go from 75mm to 150mm.

My final question for those that have the Talon 1 with the SR SUNTOUR RAIDON LO R AIR 100mm Travel fork.
    I saw online that these can be adjusted to 120mm. Does that apply to these forks as well or the ones ordered from SR Suntours site? I ask cause the stickers on the forks are different, but the names and model are similar. I plane to upgrade the fork to something better in the future, but for now why not have a little more fun.
    Thanks all

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    The new S has better sealing against dirt and uses a 1x remote. The stack height is the same as the regular Contact Switch. I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam with 175mm cranks on a medium frame and the 150mm was a hair too long for me and this with it installed as much as I can while keeping the dropper operational.

Not sure if the 2020 model has the water bottle screw mounts on the seat tube in the same location as the 2019 model, if so, it will limit how long a dropper you can use.

I was about to lengthen the travel on my factory fork but I ended up selling it (which I am regretting now 'cause I could have used it on my GF's bike). From what I've read, it is internally adjusted by moving the limit pin.

mtbr member
    Adjusting the travel is very easy.
    1. Let the air out
    2. Remove the lowers from the uppers
    3. Remove the threaded cap from the air side
    4. Pull the air spring out
    5. Drive the drift pin holding the spring in place, move the spring stop up one hole higher, drive the drift pin back through. Be very careful driving the drift pin in and out. The tube it sits in is not very strong. If you donít have it supported while driving the pin you can bend the tube. I personally place a pin driver into my drill press chuck, then use the drill press to push the pin in and out.

Re assemble in the reverse order.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    The new S has better sealing against dirt and uses a 1x remote. The stack height is the same as the regular Contact Switch. I'm 5' 10" with a 30" inseam with 175mm cranks on a medium frame and the 150mm was a hair too long for me and this with it installed as much as I can while keeping the dropper operational.

Not sure if the 2020 model has the water bottle screw mounts on the seat tube in the same location as the 2019 model, if so, it will limit how long a dropper you can use.

I was about to lengthen the travel on my factory fork but I ended up selling it (which I am regretting now 'cause I could have used it on my GF's bike). From what I've read, it is internally adjusted by moving the limit pin.
    Hi Trinimon,
    Thanks for the reply. I have a the same inseam as you just an inch taller with longer arms. The 2020 frame does have the water bottle screws their as well. I wasn't sure on which travel to go with for the dropper and not as easy trying things out as it isn't stocked here.
    I wonder if my longer arms will make up for it.
    Wanted to also add that my cranks is also 175mm.
    Last edited by Infex; 03-30-2020 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Adjusting the travel is very easy.
    1. Let the air out
    2. Remove the lowers from the uppers
    3. Remove the threaded cap from the air side
    4. Pull the air spring out
    5. Drive the drift pin holding the spring in place, move the spring stop up one hole higher, drive the drift pin back through. Be very careful driving the drift pin in and out. The tube it sits in is not very strong. If you donít have it supported while driving the pin you can bend the tube. I personally place a pin driver into my drill press chuck, then use the drill press to push the pin in and out.

Re assemble in the reverse order.
    Thanks for reply,
    I found some youtube videos for the epixion, but not mine and wasn't sure if it was the same situation. Thanks again. These minor upgrades I have done is more affordable until next year when I can transition to the Trance 27.5. the trails here are super fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    What's the fattest tyre the stock rims can take? And what's the largest tyre anyone has tried to fit on their talons?

mtbr member
    I'm running 2.3's. A DHR II up front and a Angressor out back. From all the research
    I did that about as wide as one can go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm running Ardent 2.4 front and rear on my Talon 1. Just changed out the rear wheel to an Easton Arc27. No issues there. Actually, there's still a bit of clearance between the stays. Might even be able to step up to 2.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    My Talon 1 2020 comes factory with 2.4 front and rear Ardent's. I have plenty of room to fit 2.6.

mtbr member
    Clearance isnít the issue. Itís running wider tires on i21 mm wheels.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Here is a pic of my Talon 1 2020.
    Added a dropper and adjusted the fork to 130mm. changed the stem the stem as well.

Last edited by Infex; 04-17-2020 at 05:05 PM. Reason: for images

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm running 2.4 Ardent on ARC27 rims.

Clearance isnít the issue. Itís running wider tires on i21 mm wheels.

Grim Reaper
    Bought my first new bike in a long time yesterday, have been pondering one for awhile. It was love at first sight on the Talon 2 29".......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-talon1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HemisNHarleys View Post
    Bought my first new bike in a long time yesterday, have been pondering one for awhile. It was love at first sight on the Talon 2 29".......
    Congrats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HemisNHarleys View Post
    Nice, I like that color, went back and forth on the Orange or Grey, but ultimately went with the Grey Talon 2 29, it matches my Xterra kind of lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Does anyone know or have any info on the Giant GX03V 27.5 21mm inner width?
    Can't find any info for them. wanted to know if I can fit maxxis 2.4WT tires as the site says the WT are good for 30-35mm rims

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    You can fit regular 2.4 tires on the 21mm rims. But I wouldn't run 2.4WT on them.

Note, there are 2.4 and 2.4WT tires. The 2.4WT are optimized for 30-35mm wide rims.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    You can fit regular 2.4 tires on the 21mm rims. But I wouldn't run 2.4WT on them.

Note, there are 2.4 and 2.4WT tires. The 2.4WT are optimized for 30-35mm wide rims.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Trying to go Maxxis and the tires (TR) I want seem to all be 2.4WT except the Ardents that came with my bike. 2.3 seems to be ideal. I am looking for the TR variants as I plan to go TR in the future.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Infex View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Trying to go Maxxis and the tires (TR) I want seem to all be 2.4WT except the Ardents that came with my bike. 2.3 seems to be ideal. I am looking for the TR variants as I plan to go TR in the future.
    Yeah, I ran into that same problem with my rims and Maxxis tires. I ended up lacing up some new wheels but waiting for some deals on DHRII WT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Yeah, I ran into that same problem with my rims and Maxxis tires. I ended up lacing up some new wheels but waiting for some deals on DHRII WT.
    What wheels did you go with? If I decide to switch my wheels I will need them to be compatible with sram SX eagle rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Infex View Post
    What wheels did you go with? If I decide to switch my wheels I will need them to be compatible with sram SX eagle rear.
    I picked up some Easton ARC27 rims from CRC (they were $27) and some cheap Novatec hubs. I figured 3mm isn't going to make a world of difference so this is just an experiment.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Has anyone swapped out the front crankset on a Talon 2 with a "higher end" 2x9? If so, what did you put on?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I pulled my front cranks for some discontinued Shimano XT Deore ones I got off ebay. It was a little lighter than the stock one and not sure if that upgrade was worth the cost.

I'm running a Raceface 32t 104BCD chainring on it. I dropped down to 1x crank and a 11spd Sunrace 11-46t cassette on new rear wheels that I laced up.

I don't miss the 2x crank...

mtbr member

Talon owners .....

Iím not sure I could justify the cost to upgrade the cranks for a better 2x9.

I did the same thing as Trin, using my stock cranks went to a 1X 30T upfront and a 10 speed Sunrace out back.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    what wheels are you guys all running on your talon 3 ?

currently looking for and upgrade so i can run 2.5 but cant seem to find info on the axle size for front and back?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    It's a QR skewer up front and 135 QR in the rear. Not so easy finding good, wide wheels for those now as most have gone to 15x110 boost front and 12x148mm rear. You can check ChainReaction or other online stores for clearance sales or have a shop custom build you a set but I wouldn't bother spending that much on a Talon.

Fortunately I lace my own wheels and just built some Easton ARC27 rims (27mm inner width, got them on clearance from CRC for $27CDN each) on some cheap Novatec hubs I picked up, which are surprisingly much better than the hubs that came on my bike.

From the factory 21mm to 27mm wheels, using my same 2.4" Ardent tires, they seem to hold the corners a little better but then again, I've only had 1 solid ride on the new wheels so far so it's still early yet and the trails haven't dried out.

If you're going to run 2.5 on your Talon, I'd suggest looking at min 30mm internal width rims, preferably 35mm.

Personally, I've been down the same road you're thinking of going down. If so, unless you get a real good deal on a set of wheels for around $200. or you lace your own, I'd say save your money and upgrade the bike as you're probably starting to outgrow it like myself. Only thing is that I didn't listen and dropped WAY more $$ on upgrades than I paid for my bike to begin with.

What's gonna happen when you're upgrading your wheels is that now you'll be able to run a 11spd cassette. So now it's new cassette, new shifter, new rear derailleur, might as well change to a 1x so new chainring and 11spd chain, add a dropper post, an air fork would be nice but it's hard to find a good one with a straight steer tube so now you need an external lower headset, then you realize, all these forks with tapered steer tubes use through-axles so now you need a new front hub. But now you got all this cool upgrades on an outdated bike frame with not the best geo for serious mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    do you happen to have the amazon links for everything you bought? I have the same bike and i am looking to doing the same upgrades. thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Hereís what Iíve purchased so far for my bike and everything has been smooth upgrade process. It might now be the brands you want but definitely a good helping point like trinimon has done.

Front wheel
    Is a 27.5 but inner measurement is 28 so I canít run 2.5 or higher tires.
    Hereís the link to the wheels I purchased just remember I had to make some changes to fit it. Links to the mid will be included.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126287025

Hereís the link to the thru axle to make quick release for the front wheel above
    Lixada Bicycle Front Wheel Thru... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KYCH4ZX...p_mob_ap_share

Here is a link for the tools needed for both front/rear and any future changes
    Oumers Bike Cassette Removal Tool... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DN6K2PV...p_mob_ap_share

As for the rear rim
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...ffhanger-black

You will need TWO of these adapters for your wheels if you go with the same package .
    This will allow you to run the same disk break and axle size as you currently have. Without these adapters they will not work .
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...oaArJiEALw_wcB

Iíve kept my drive train the same but eventually will change out .

Again Iím no expert simply going based off all the info Iíve received but so far everything is coming through smoothly.

I ended up purchasing Maxxis minions 27.5 2.5 for the front and 2.4 for the real going all tubeless

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Question, what size Dropper post do you guys have on a size large Talon 2? I am 6 ft tall and looking to upgrade, just a bit confused if i should get a 100mm or 125mm. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tobama View Post
    Question, what size Dropper post do you guys have on a size large Talon 2? I am 6 ft tall and looking to upgrade, just a bit confused if i should get a 100mm or 125mm. Thanks in advance.
    You might be able to go 150mm dropper. I'm 5/10" with a 31" inseam. The Giant 150mm Contact was about 1/2-3/4" too tall for me and I can't push the dropper lower into the seat tube due to the drink holder bolts. I ended up with the Contact 125mm.

OneUp has an online calculator that would tell you what length dropper you can use for different brands.

mtbr member
    I have a 150 PNW on my medium. Itís not inserted all the way due to the water bottle boss. Itís a little tall, but it works. Iím sure it would be fine on a large.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I have the 2020 Talon 2 29 since October, it was my first mountain bike and a first bike I've owned in a long time (last bike was when I was 7 lol). I love it but I am hesitant to upgrade the bike as I found out that the frame does not have the best features (QR dropout, straight steerer tube and a 69 degree angle, only if the fork is 100mm I think) which means if I were to upgrade a part like the fork I am limited to a few selected forks. I am in a limited budget and would rather save the money to get a better bike in the future. I love it though and I don't think I would ever sell it, I could also keep this so I could lend this to friends or relatives who wanted to try biking but don't have any bike.

Tires, pedals, dropper posts or other cosmetics are a possibility for me to upgrade though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Have some questions regarding tires, specifically the Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.4 that came with my 2020 Talon 2. They are listed as wire bead, but yet the Maxxis website shows no wire bead option for the 2.4 width. Is it possible they are a special tire for Giant ? Was wondering as to what the tires weigh. Also they seem like a very stiff compound, I'm running some Maxxis Crossmarks on an older 26 in MTB and the crossmarks seem way more compliant. Any suggestions for a lighter more compliant tire ?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by ed h View Post
    Have some questions regarding tires, specifically the Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.4 that came with my 2020 Talon 2. They are listed as wire bead, but yet the Maxxis website shows no wire bead option for the 2.4 width. Is it possible they are a special tire for Giant ? Was wondering as to what the tires weigh. Also they seem like a very stiff compound, I'm running some Maxxis Crossmarks on an older 26 in MTB and the crossmarks seem way more compliant. Any suggestions for a lighter more compliant tire ?

I don't think special tire Giant but probably "OEM" tires for manufacturers.

Cpl. Slow
    which probably means they're not properly made. OEM tires share the same brand and model name, but are made of very cheap, long lasting rubber. in this situation, giant asks maxxis for 2.4 Ardents in bulk, but they're still expensive, so fo the benefit of both companies thay make the same tire in a cheap factory, with cheap hard rubber to lower costs and both companies benefit. this is done on motorcycles and sometimes cars.
    Remember The Super Monster T's ? Because I wish I Didn't.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PinchFlatsAllDay View Post
    which probably means they're not properly made. OEM tires share the same brand and model name, but are made of very cheap, long lasting rubber. in this situation, giant asks maxxis for 2.4 Ardents in bulk, but they're still expensive, so fo the benefit of both companies thay make the same tire in a cheap factory, with cheap hard rubber to lower costs and both companies benefit. this is done on motorcycles and sometimes cars.
    They are also usually single-compound

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    First post in this forum...great information. I just got a Talon 2 and love it. I can't find any info on wether the wheels are tubeless ready? I know the tires aren't but I already have an extra pair of TR tires. I know last year's model came tubeless from factory.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Pull the tires off and check the inside of the wheels for tape.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pyxis17 View Post
    First post in this forum...great information. I just got a Talon 2 and love it. I can't find any info on wether the wheels are tubeless ready? I know the tires aren't but I already have an extra pair of TR tires. I know last year's model came tubeless from factory.

Thanks
    As NorCal_In_AZ said, pull the tires off and check the inside of the wheels for tape. Mine had so I'm guessing it's also tubeless ready but the tires isn't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hello All,

This is my first post. I have a 2019 Talon 3. It developed a bad creak and it took quite some time to figure it out. I started with a good cleaning and greasing of the BB with no luck. I then moved to the seatpost and seat with no luck. Finally cleaned and greased the headset bearings and that took care of the creak. However, I was surprised to find the bearings were not sealed (i.e., cartridge). I cleaned the bearings with a degreaser and then repacked them with clean grease. Problem solved. Next time it starts to creak I'd like to replace the bearings with a sealed set. Can someone point me to a decent drop-in headset for my bike? I've found it very confusing to try and find a suitable replacement. None of the dimensions seem to match what I've measured, but maybe it's because I don't know what to measure. I'm assuming I can replace everything like the cup, race, etc.

As far as my bike, I've upgraded to tubeless tires and a 1x11 drivetrain. I try and do all the work on my bike, but find it hard to find the right parts. It usually takes 2 or 3 orders from Amazon to get the right part. When I'm desperate I take it to the LBS. Just the other day I broke a spoke in the rear wheel. Since I had no clue what size spoke to order (and I wanted to ride rather that wait for parts), I took it to LBS. Thirty dollars later I had a new spoke. Note, they didn't have to take the tire off and deal with the tubeless setup. I thought this was a little steep, but they did turn it around in a day so that part was good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Hi BikerTn, yup, the Giant Talon uses bearing cages in the headsets.

If you want to use cartridge bearings, you will need to change out your headsets to ZS44 ones (zero stack 44mm).

Nothing wrong with bearing cages, they are more prone to dirt contamination but they do have larger ball bearings than cartridge bearings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi BikerTn, yup, the Giant Talon uses bearing cages in the headsets.

If you want to use cartridge bearings, you will need to change out your headsets to ZS44 ones (zero stack 44mm).

Nothing wrong with bearing cages, they are more prone to dirt contamination but they do have larger ball bearings than cartridge bearings.
    Thank you for the information. When I search amazon for "zero stack 44mm headset" I get something like the following:

https://www.amazon.com/Cane-Creek-Ze...s%2C176&sr=8-1

It has a couple of options. One says H15 and the other says H8. Is this the height of the top tube? I think mine is 8 inches. Is this correct.

I would be fine with unsealed bearing (you called it a bearing cage). Again, though, I'm not quite sure what to order. When I search Amazon, I get something like the following.

https://www.amazon.com/FSA-Hammer-He...2704111&sr=8-3

This is probably what I need, but when I count the ball bearings there are only 20. On my Talon, I had 22. I realize this isn't very scientific and that may be a generic picture (it's also possible I can't count).

I just want to have an extra set of bearings next time I need to service the headset. That creak was really annoying.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Look up FSA Orbit Z as an example. This model has cartridge bearings, the cheaper models use caged bearings. Some headset have tall caps, some have short ones, depending on your needs. Some riders need there stems mounted low, some high.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PinchFlatsAllDay View Post
    Picked up a set of Maxxis Ikon Tires, big difference in the ride quality. The Ikons are way more compliant than the stock Ardent tires. Also the Ikons are considerably lighter, each tire alone saves 9 oz over the stock ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I upgraded my pedals and grips. Got a decent deal on some Nukeproof Neutrons. I hadn't realized how awful (slick) the factory pedals were on my bike. Still debating on a fork upgrade, or save my money towards a different bike in a couple of years. I keep thinking that an airspring fork would be a great upgrade, but would it be enough of an upgrade that it would delay the urge for a new bike for an additional few of years?

Talon owners .....-img_20200619_101740077.jpg
    Talon owners .....-img_20200619_101615791.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hey everyone, loving this thread, have learned a BUNCH!! I ride a Medium Giant Talon 2, and Iím now seriously in the market for an internally routed dropper post (considering the OneUp V2), but an earlier post stated that the Talon 2 would need to get the front derailleur removed in order for an internally routed dropper post to work, why is that?

Iíve also got a Giant rep (through my bike shop) telling me itís not possible on the Talon, but his point was that the angle at which the cable would have to bend up into the seat tube was too sharp and would cause too much friction - which doesnít seem to be a problem as itís been successfully done on the Talon 1 (of which I believe the geometry is the same). I guess I donít really see why it wouldnít be possible?

There seems to be enough space for a second cable in the top hole on the down tube, and when I look through the bottom hole on the down tube that the derailleur cable comes out of, it seems like the cable for the dropper would route into the seat tube just fine?

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Just posted a question about installing an internally routed dropper on my Medium Talon 2. Why is taking the front derailleur off necessary? Thanks!

mtbr member
    No the front derailure doesn't need to be removed. Just make sure you get the correct style dropper lever that works with a front shifter on the bike. You'll have to make the hole in the plastic groumet that the brake line runs through a bit bigger to fit another cable in there.

I have my dropper routed internally through the down tube, over the top of the bottom bracket, and up the seat tube. It works without any issue and or binding. Just make sure not to kink the outer cable during install.

The rep it likely telling you the correct by the book answer. As he rep's Giant he doesn't want to give out information that can be a problem. I get it, I'm a product rep and have to toe that line often myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Pull the tires off and check the inside of the wheels for tape.
    Thanks - I was away for work and didn't have access to bike. Just checked a couple days ago and there was blue tape but I don't think it was for tubeless. And if it was for tubeless, it was flimsy. I put gorilla tape in there and pressure seems to be holding for now.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    No the front derailure doesn't need to be removed. Just make sure you get the correct style dropper lever that works with a front shifter on the bike. You'll have to make the hole in the plastic groumet that the brake line runs through a bit bigger to fit another cable in there.

I have my dropper routed internally through the down tube, over the top of the bottom bracket, and up the seat tube. It works without any issue and or binding. Just make sure not to kink the outer cable during install.

The rep it likely telling you the correct by the book answer. As he rep's Giant he doesn't want to give out information that can be a problem. I get it, I'm a product rep and have to toe that line often myself.
    Great news, thanks NorCal_In_AZ, your posts have been super helpful in me trying to figure this out. Was considering externally routed droppers (PNW, Fox,...) but the options are too limited in my case. Absolute game changer that I can go internally routed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I just recently got into MTB and got a steal on a used 2020 Talon 2 for my girl. This weekend a friend and I did a bunch of budget mods to bring it up to my standards. We installed a 1x crankset, threaded BB, deore 10 speed groupset, internally routed dropper post, pedals, and tubeless tires. I was searching all over YouTube to find info on the bike and there wasnít much. Then I stumbled across this thread. It helped me a bunch, but itís a lot of reading lol. We made a little video of the mods if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/YTG7I8lhSzA

and a picture of our finished product.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-dc46be33-17ae-473f-a3ff-041d2fe5127f.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Looking good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Looking good.
    Thanks bro. She just needs a new air fork and the build will be complete. Iím thinking RockShox Judy Silver TK.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by pyxis17 View Post

Thanks
    Wheels are definitely not tubeless ready. I just did a tubeless job myself. They need to be taped, you need tubeless presta valves, and if you are on stock tires, they are not tubeless compatible either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by tobama View Post
    On a large you can definitely get away with a 125 mm dropper but you may not be able to slam it, which I doubt you will need to at 6í. I installed a 125mm on my size medium and for it to fit my girl it was contacting the top bottle mount on the seat tube. If you donít mind losing that mount, you can remove the bolt and run a 1/4Ē drill bit inserted into the screw hole. It will blow the weld out on the thread insert and leave you with a perfect hole that you can get a gromet, or sticker to cover. Then you can run a 125 or 150mm and slam it all the way into the seat tube. If you do this you will have to remove the bb to remove the debris but you will likely have to remove it anyway to run the cable.

edit: idk why it keeps posting my image sideways.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Talon owners .....-80a0dbb5-ba01-465e-94ea-9e9a3d0643e1.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I was working on my 2015 Talon 4 and am new to any sort of mechanic work.

When taking off my headset, the fork dropped along with all the parts to my headset.

Any diagrams on which ring goes where? I can't seem to get it back to normal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    You're in luck. I happen to have my old headset kicking around.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks. That helped a bunch. A broke one of the plastic rings, after placing it in the incorrect position. Now I need to find a new one.

Anyone recommend a replacement headset?

Talon owners .....-20200705_130149.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    No probs. The top ring has a factory split in it if that's the one you're referring to. You can pickup an inexpensive FSA Orbit Z headset.

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-Interna...6&sr=8-10&th=1

You'll need a couple specialty tools to install it ie headset remover and a headset press. Some folks have been able to remove and install them using regular home tools or made their own presses with some all-thread and washers. Lots of videos on Youtube on how to make them for cheap.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    My error and this piece are the culprit...

Now I have to remove cups..etc.. Going to learn a whole bunch.Talon owners .....-20200705_141117.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Ahh, I think that's the dust wiper. You can try degrease the heck out of it and use some CA glue.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.