SPV Setup?- Mtbr.com

Thread: SPV Setup?

Dec 2003

SPV Setup?

I have tried a wide variety of setups for my Swinger 4-way and the Minute 1 fork.

I have found that the Giant reccomendations for the swinger 4 way are pretty much spot on. A little less pressure and it gets kind of spongy, a little more, and the system gets kind of harsh. The reccomended pressure seems to give the bike the feel of a XC bike until you hit the bigger drops, and then it feels like a free ride.

I am curious how many turns on the the SPV other folks are using. My riding weight is about 195 or so and I am using 3 turns. How much rebound are you running?

I have not made the Minute 1 perfect yet. Generally, I think it is running a bit harsh. Can anyone in my weight range give me their setup? This would be for the pressure and the rebound and the number of turns on the SPV.

Thanks!

-Dawg

Rollin' a fatty

Cool-blue Rhythm

I weight 200 and my Swinger 4-Way is set like this:

SPV: 2 turns in, 150psi
    Rebound: 7 turns to fast
    Main chamber: 180psi

I looked at the Giant recommendations plus emailed Manitou and asked in the "Lets talk about shocks" forum about what other folks are setting their Swingers. Turns ot that almost everyone has gone in different ways. I would suggest to keep playing with it until you find your sweet spot.

I run a Psylo in the front so I can't help with any Minute 1 setup info. How does the Minute feel? I'm thinking on changing my aging Psylo SL with a Minute 1 or another Psylo SL.

Dec 2003
    Dirt Devil,

I just checked out your ride on the other post...that is quite sweet! I would especially like to get the Cross Max Wheels. Here is my minute
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rollin' a fatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Spongedog
    Dirt Devil,

I just checked out your ride on the other post...that is quite sweet! I would especially like to get the Cross Max Wheels. Here is my minute
    How do you like the Minute 1, I'm curious! After reading so many posts about how nice a bike with SPV in the front and rear is I'm considering for 2004 a Minute 1 to compliment the Swinger 4 way in my VT and will put the Psylo on my SS.

On the XMax's, I got an lightly used set for $300 from a friend. I'm curious about the new models, my nephew got a pair of XLs and literaly destroyed them after a couple of rides. Now he's using a pair SLs and so far no problems, the only problem is the hefty price. Have you heard about the Xmax Enduro?

Dec 2003
    DD,

I am really happy with the Minute 1. It is strong, predictable, fast, and can take the big hits. If you have it tuned properly and run it with a Swinger shock, the feel is very good.

Jan 2004

minute 1

do you think the minute 1 could be used for some xc racing? cause on mantiou's site it just lists it as trail/enduro. also, does anyone know if its possible to turn the swinger 4-way upside down on the 03 vt's? i wanna do this to increase my seaats adjustability because the piggyback gets in the way when i want to lower my seat more on my vt. sometimes i like to ride a little lower, sometimes i like to ride a little higher haha.

Rollin' a fatty

Any fork can be raced

It's just a matter of feel and weight, if you're willing to race a bike with a heavy fork is not a big deal, I used to race a Gary Fisher Kaitai hardtail with a Psylo just because I liked the fork and never really cared about the added weight.

Rotating the shock, humm not sure about that. I saw a post about that topic several months ago and everyone agreed that it could be done, I'm not sure for sure but I agree with the possibility. The problem might be the SPV canister hitting the piece of tube that holds the front derailleur, give it a try and let us know if it worked.

Jan 2004
    hey thanks for the advice, i'll definitely try flipping it to see if it works. yeah the minute 1 is heavier but not too heavy for a long travel fork, only about 4 lbs and the minute 2 can go down to 3.4 or 3.6 lbs which is pretty light.

Dec 2003
    If you crank the travel on the Minute 1 down all the way, and pump up the fork, you should definintely be able to race this thing.

Jan 2004
    sweet, thnx for the advice

Members who have read this thread: 0