Are the sock reign tyres crap?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Are the sock reign tyres crap?

or is it just me.

I have recently bought and started riding a 2006 Reign, the bike has the stock hutchinson tyres. On a number of occassions I have had the front wash out from under me quite unpredictably. This has actually resulted in the worst face plant I have had for a while.

I ride on mostly hardpack single track with the requisite loose sand in spots. I had Crossmarks on my previous bike and I swear they were more predictable and I had much more confidence in those.

So, what tyre do you recommend the current tyres sit on some Mavic XL UST rims

Thanks

spinner
    Ah yes , I remember my one and only ride on the stock Bulldogs. I could have sworn I was riding with a flat down a fast section of firetrail or that the rear wheel was about to fall apart.....or something ! Bulldogs can make the most boring , smooth section of track a very exciting ride indeed !

I replaced them with 2.3 Kenda Nevegals in the Stick E compound. They are light , have excellent grip and roll reasonably well (at high pressures anyway). But they have very thin sidewalls and are easily pierced by thorns or even sharp rocks. They have gotten me through 2 years but with a lot of punctures. Good tyres , but only at high pressures and avoid sharp rocks !

A friend gave me a UST version of the Bulldog , I'll try it this weekend. The heavier casing should eliminate the "about to roll off the rim" feeling of the stock Bulldogs we all love so much. Otherwise I'll be fitting a pair of LUST Crossmarks next , I have only heard good things about them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    +1 for crap stock tyres.

I ditched the bulldogs on my '06 Reign after 2 rides. I replaced them with a pair of Continental Vertical 'Protection' which have been awesome. great grip and, even running maxxis flyweight tubes, only one flat in a year and a half of dry, rocky aussie trails.

Jun 2007
    yes, they are definitely complete poo.

I still have them on mine because I like a little extra excitement in my rides (or im just lazy) but im about to switch to some Geax Sturdys that have intrigued me for awhile.

mtbr member
    i'm very happy with my schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 tire that i ran in the front. it lasted a good hard 1000 miles. On the back i ran the Kenda Nevegals and small blocks, but i will no longer ever run kendas due to constant pinch flats, one resulting in injury. I've been running a 2.35 Maxxis Larsen TT which rolls as good as a Small Block, but has a thicker sidewall and good volume. Since the BB is no off, i'm running a 2.5 Maxxis Minion DHF which rocks in the loose dirt we have here in socal

jones'in
    My X1 came w/ Hutchinson Barracuda 2.3s on both front and back. Talk about crap tires. I keep pinch flatting with 'em and they're really unpredictable in the corners. There's really no warning when they lose traction.

I've replaced the rear w/ a 2.5 Nevegal Stick-E and I'm debating between several tires for the front replacement. I'm looking at a WTB Dissent, another Nevegal, or a Minion DHF for the front.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    depending on the terrain you ride, the Minion dhf is dope... for hardpack, the knobs are way too tall and don't work well. in loose and loose over hardpack, it works well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    OK, so a number of people agree that the stock Hutchinson Bulldogs/Barracudas are not fantastic.

I have been doing some research on the most appropriate tyres for my terrain (hardpack to medium single track with sections of exposed roots and rocks)

What I have noticed is that there seems to be very few UST tyres that are bigger then 2.1" wide. I would really like to try the WTB Mutano Raptors but the biggest UST size is 2.1".

The question is, am I better of using a non UST tyre with something like Stan's sealant or should I stick to UST tyres

BTW my other option is a MAXXIS Ignitor 2.3" UST. These tyres will be for the front, I am will be waiting for the rears to wear out before replacing them.

spinner
    I have heard of people having success with non UST Maxxis and stans sealant. Personally , I have only tried Kendas and it was a dismal failure. The Kenda casing is very porous , on initial inflation there were tiny drops of sealant all over the outside of the tyre. Back to tubes ......

I mentioned earlier in this thread I was trying out a UST Bulldog , well so far its been good. A lot better than the regular version and I mounted it "dry" , no sealant. In the 10 days since inflation and one 2 hour ride (where I deliberately gave it hell) , it has held pressure fine. I imagine there are better options for USTs (Maxxis ) , but thought it was worth a mention. Nice big bag too , it's a 2.3.

Members who have read this thread: 0