Are the sock reign tyres crap?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Are the sock reign tyres crap?

or is it just me.

I have recently bought and started riding a 2006 Reign, the bike has the stock hutchinson tyres. On a number of occassions I have had the front wash out from under me quite unpredictably. This has actually resulted in the worst face plant I have had for a while.

I ride on mostly hardpack single track with the requisite loose sand in spots. I had Crossmarks on my previous bike and I swear they were more predictable and I had much more confidence in those.

So, what tyre do you recommend the current tyres sit on some Mavic XL UST rims

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    buy tires based on local riding terrain. Go back to crossmarks or ask your LBS/riding buddies what works for them.

Nov 2006
    That damn Barracuda put me down twice around corners. I dumped them and got some Continental Explorer Pros. No problems since.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Killcrop
    That damn Barracuda put me down twice around corners. I dumped them and got some Continental Explorer Pros. No problems since.
    I kept one on the back with no issues, but prefer a Gazza on the front.

Aug 2007
    I changed mine to Continentals within a week, before a serious fall.
    At the time I changed to 2.1 which I prefer.

jones'in
    My Reign X came w/ Hutchinson Barracudas. I'm not impressed. I pinch flatted the rear regularly and the front washes out all the time in turns. The wash out doesn't totally bother me...but the square profile of the tire means it loses all of its traction at the same time, instead of a gradual loss.

I've switched out the rear for a Nevegal and I'm shopping for a new front right now. Thinking of Maxxis Minion DHf, WTB Dissent or another Nevegal.

My hardtail (Norco) came w/ Hutchinson tires stock too. Another set of crap tires..... I swapped both of those out for Nevegals too. Needless to say, I'm not a Hutchinson fan.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

I AM I AM
    I think just about any tire would probably do a better job for you.
    Shiggy's site is always a good read www.mtbtires.com,
    I'm riding the Syncros PNC3 on my Trance at the moment, seem to be great all rounders and especially in sand.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by venom600
    My Reign X came w/ Hutchinson Barracudas. I'm not impressed. I pinch flatted the rear regularly and the front washes out all the time in turns. The wash out doesn't totally bother me...but the square profile of the tire means it loses all of its traction at the same time, instead of a gradual loss.

I've switched out the rear for a Nevegal and I'm shopping for a new front right now. Thinking of Maxxis Minion DHf, WTB Dissent or another Nevegal.

My hardtail (Norco) came w/ Hutchinson tires stock too. Another set of crap tires..... I swapped both of those out for Nevegals too. Needless to say, I'm not a Hutchinson fan.

--Ben
    Yeah for DH/FR the folding 'cudas are not enough beef. I have DH tires mounted on another set of wheels for lift access riding, and use single plys on the original wheels for trail/AM riding.

Consider a Blue Groove for the front, I like em better than Nevs for most conditions, more round profile and very progressive, I find Nevs wash out suddenly also.

mtbr member
    The Hutchinsons on my Trance were horrible. The Hutchinsons on my Reign were horrible. Lateral grip was never there for me.

squish is good
    While I cannot comment on the Barracudas, My '05 Reign came with Bulldogs, which I can unequivocable say are the worst tires I have ever ridden. They pedaled crappy and cornered crappy, I'm not sure why they were ever equipped as OEM tires on a bike because they made the bike ride like it was on ice when descending and climb like I was hauling an extra 30 lbs around. I've settled on a combination of Kenda Nevegals 2.35 folding bead stick-e compound front and WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4 folding bead DNA compound on the rear. The Nev's stick like glue to anything you encounter on the trail and the WTB's pedal like a slick but really hook up well in dry conditions and work okay in sloppy stuff. Thats my XC setup, for DH I ended up running Maxxis Minion 2.7 super tacky DHf tires for the front and Spesh Chunder 2.5 S-works compound rear. They weigh a ton but brake and corner like nothing I ever experienced.

My .02, ditch the hutchinsons and go with Nevegals for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I hope that manufacturers take note of the feedback provided by people who use their products for what they were designed for (and perhaps some use them for more)

For those interested I replaced the front Bulldogs with a MAXXIS Ignitor 2.3 tyre and had a chance to test the handling on some of my well worn trails.

In a word very different experience, I was actually able to drift through several corners with some confidence. To be fair I also replaced my Avid wavy rotor with a cleansweep and that improved brake feel.

The front seems to roll a little better on the medium/hard pack trails, all in all money well spent. I will be replacing the rear after the bulldogs wear out.

Thanks for all the help

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    I didn't like those stock Hutchinson tires either....

but my bike didn't come with Sock Tyres! WTF.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sebpiot
    I hope that manufacturers take note of the feedback provided by people who use their products for what they were designed for (and perhaps some use them for more)

For those interested I replaced the front Bulldogs with a MAXXIS Ignitor 2.3 tyre and had a chance to test the handling on some of my well worn trails.

In a word very different experience, I was actually able to drift through several corners with some confidence. To be fair I also replaced my Avid wavy rotor with a cleansweep and that improved brake feel.

The front seems to roll a little better on the medium/hard pack trails, all in all money well spent. I will be replacing the rear after the bulldogs wear out.

Thanks for all the help
    In all fairness, they installed Barracudas in '07 instead of Bulldogs, so maybe they did listen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brendancahill
    I didn't like those stock Hutchinson tires either....

but my bike didn't come with Sock Tyres! WTF.

All I can say is you haven't lived unless you've ridden with socks on your tyres. I was going to edit the mistake, obviously I meant to write "stock", but it gave me a chuckle and I thought that someone else may get a laugh out of it too

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    In all fairness, they installed Barracudas in '07 instead of Bulldogs, so maybe they did listen.
    Maybe they 'heard', but they didn't 'listen'. The Barracudas suck too. Are they actually testing the tires that they're gonna use as stock? I bet not, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the Barracudas either.

Maybe Giant has (had?) some partner agreement with Hutchinson that they couldn't get out of until recently......

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Members who have read this thread: 0