mtbr member

Small and medium Trances compared

Just though you might find this photo interesting; it’s my medium ’05 Trance3 next to my wife’s small ’05 Trance3. It highlights the difference between the two sizes. Note the angle between the top tube and the down tube; it’s much less on the small bike. The rear triangle looks the same however, but this means the seat stay meets the seat tube in-line with the top tube on the small bike.

By the way, the photo was taken recently in the Cairngorms, Scotland. It was our first visit and it turned out to be a stunning area for cycling; miles of singletrack! My wife’s bike is more or less factory spec, but mine has a fair amount of bling on it. The main changes so far are: Fox Vanilla 125 RLC fork, Monkeylite bar, Thompson layback seatpost, Rocket V Stealth Ti saddle and a set of bespoke wheels (Mavic XM717 rims, Chris King Hubs, DT Swiss spokes and fitted with Schwabe Racing Ralph types). By far the biggest improvement has come from changing the wheels. After pleading with the builders (Stif), they were delivered just six hours before my trip to Scotland. In fact, I had to fit them when I was there, but oh-boy, what a difference! Completely changes the feel of the bike. Much more ‘zippy’ and nimble, and accelerates better too. Current weight of the bike is now under 28lbs without pedals.

Mel
    Attached Images Attached Images

No good in rock gardens..
    Big difference. Huge standover clearance on that small one. How much difference in the length?
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob
    Big difference. Huge standover clearance on that small one. How much difference in the length?
    yes, the standover is good on both. My wife is just 5' 2" so the clearance really suits her. The wheelbase looks less on the small Trance; I'll measure them both when I get home.

Mel

No good in rock gardens..
    I see some of their hardtails share the same design.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Yeh I remember when I got my Trance 22"/XL, I was like "woah what's with this picture" as the bike shown on the web site was a Small I believe. My 22"/XL just looked like a god-horse and weird compared to the small, but I've grown to love it - guess it's kinda like I am, big and lanky.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I Think that small is an extra small. I've got a small (16") and it looks a little bigger.

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    yeah that small has to be the 14.5" frame - the blue one in the picture above is a 16". I ride an 18". The rear triangle and suspension parts are all the same size regardless of the frame size - only difference is the front triangle which leads to a change in the wheelbase as well.
    2006 Giant Trance 1

mtbr member
    Er, whoops, you're right; my wife's bike is Extra Small... I was convinced she had bought a small size, but apparently not. Sorry about that.

Mel

Too Kool for Skool
    The x-small looks like it could be a mean 4x racer.
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    how does she get that water bottle out?

mtbr member
    Er, yes... the water bottle does require a bit jiggling to get it in and out. Actually the biggest problem is getting in on the bike rack that hangs off the back of my car. It has two prongs that go through the frame and to load the bike, the bottle cage has to come off. Even then, it's a struggle!

Mel

Members who have read this thread: 0