Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Should I ask for a discount from my LBS?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  mtbeagle 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've bought a few bikes online and built them myself, but now I'm considering buying a Trance from my LBS.

The prices they had marked on the bikes were full MSRP. They get the bike setup, do a custom fitting, and offer free service for 1 year.

Should I ask if they can drop the price? I know it doesn't really hurt to ask, but it would be nice to know what kind of a discount you guys would expect on a $2000-$2500 Giant bike from your local dealer. Full retail + 8.25% tax still has me flirting with an online purchase, but they're a good shop and it would be helpful to have their expertise with getting everything setup.

The reason I ask is because I've seen a few people post their "out the door" price which has been quite a bit lower than retail.

Thanks!

#5 ·
I think you can always get your LBS to cut you a little bit of a deal, especially if they mark the full MSRP. If nothing else, take them the only price, explain you understand the value of their service, and want to support the local business, and ask them not to match it, but if they can get closer to it for you. I've never had a bike shop tell me they simply couldn't budge on the price if they had MSRP marked and the other price wasn't something stupid.

#6 ·
Just ordered a Trance X 29er 1 and the LBS was able to drop over $300 off the MSRP of $2775. So yeah, about 10% sounds right.
Like you said yourself, it certainly never hurts to ask.

In 2010, I bought a Trek 6700 that I believe had an MSRP of around $1400. I called the dealer, asked him if he could do $1250 out-the-door and he agreed to it. He was happy. I was happy. Too easy.

#7 ·
If you built up a few bikes successfully, then fitting and service is probably not important to you.

If you built up a few bikes successfully, then you know that the MSRP is a pretty friggin good value! :)

Doesn't hurt to ask for a discount though and most shops have MSRP on their bikes so they have wiggle room. They are not making much money even at MSRP.

#9 ·
I've had cases where I asked shops for a discount and been told that they don't do that. I bought the bike anyway. Now that I own a bike shop, most people ask for a discount on their bikes. I try to be reasonable and always give people a great deal. However no matter how good I am to a customer there are always those that demand more. Like others have said, a 10% discount from the MSRP price seems reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.