Shifting- Mtbr.com

Thread: Shifting

Feb 2004

Shifting

I just bought a new stock 03 NRS1. Love the bike. Have only had a chance to take it out once. Every thing was plush except the shifting. It kept skipping between the 1st and 2nd chain ring and the 8th and 9th ring. I have read a few other posts were some have complained about "ghost shifting". Played with the rear and front adjustments, I could get the 1 and 2 to stop but then the 8 and 9 would be out of whack and vice versa. Is this a common problem? Will it get better once it is broken in?

Thanks

mtbr member
    1 - How much do you weigh?
    2 - What type of terrain are you riding?
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

Powered by Pulvoron
    here's my take. before i bought the nrs, i too read all the review and mentions of the ghostshifting and to remedy was to run longer housing. that fix didn't work for me. what worked for me was running full derailluer housing and a avid rollamajig. and that did the trick. and also to note to check the rear derailluer hanger if its straight. thats my only complaint and i hope SGF would cnc a beefier one. the oem giant hanger is easily bent when the rear wheel is removed.

dirt diggler

Feb 2004
    180 Terrian varies mostly medium compact

Fragile - must be Italian

Ghost shifting vs. size of frame?

Does the ghost shifting have anything to do with the size of the frame? My frame is an '03 16.5 (sm) and I have yet to experience any ghost shifting on my bike. I'm not a big guy - only 150 lbs - but I ride very hard on fairly rugged terrain.

I also heard that the 01 and 02 model years were worse for ghost shifting than 03. They supposedly completely fixed the problem in 04 by running a single cable housing from the seat clamp all the way back to the rear dearailleur.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    I started with a 2001, broke the frame and got a warrantied 2002 (both 16.5" small frames). I had pretty consistent ghost shifting with both frames. I'm a fairly beefy 5'6" at around 180 to 185lbs. The ONLY time it would happen is when I was pedaling through rough terrain - essentially when I was pedaling and the suspension was active or flexing, it would start ghost shifting.

I like riding very rough technical terrain, climbing through rock gardens, etc. So it was no small problem for me. I had the bike in the shop at least once a month for TWO YEARS. I tried so many different "fixes" that I've lost track. I did the full housing all the way down to the derailleur, Avid Rollamagig, etc. Giant finally relented and essentialy said "your weight combined with the terrain you're riding is just flexing the rear end"...and sent me a 2003 Giant VT frame as "permanent remedy".

The NRS is designed and meant to be ridden as a lightweight, highly efficient XC machine...I just wish bike shops and Giant would be more carefull in "educating" prospective buyers. I bought mine for that purpose...but after six months of riding I found my niche in riding the techno stuff.
    GoatRidesBikes.com
    Goat Rides Bikes @ YouTube
    "I may be old and fat, but at least I'm slow." - Me

I love Pisgah
    Those cables are gonna stretch the most the first few weeks of use. They are under tension all the time. Have your LBS tune'm up..THEN start trouble shooting if its still an issue.
    Neither of my nrs builds have ever been plagued with this to date. Ones been ridden since Aug 02, the other since Dec 02.

Been lucky I guess, but both were built up with mosty xtr(ones xt FD and pods and RaceFace stuff on both) drivetrain components. Also look for bushing play in the rear sus pivots. This might affect the cable length a fraction as one loads and unloads the rear from braking and accellerating. Just throwing stuff out there is all.

Duck

Upgrade Addict

Ghost Shifting

I have an '03 NRS 2 large. I am 180lbs and ride Georgia roots/rocks/mtns. I had a ghost shifting problem, as well. For me, it was only on the rear and mostly only happened when I stood up and hammered up a hill, etc. I had the bike adjusted probably 5 times including replacing all the cables. I switched to an XTR rear and XT front with XTR shifter/lever combo. Still got some right away but it was due to a slack cable. Once I turned out the knob on the shifter far enough, problem solved. Mine shifts like a champ now.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Glad to hear you got it fixed. I think I saw you when you were getting the XTR rear put on.

I'm about the same size, ride the same bike, and haven't had the problem. I do need the occasional tune or I will get some serious skipping on the RD though.

Duck's absolutely right about the cables. At least you won't experience the brake cable stretch. Boy was that fun when it happened. I was on a multi-hour ride in N GA (Bull), got absolutely poured on, then had my brake cables stretch in to the point where they really didn't work. Smiled all the way though!
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Feb 2004

NRS ghost shifting

Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    here's my take. before i bought the nrs, i too read all the review and mentions of the ghostshifting and to remedy was to run longer housing. that fix didn't work for me. what worked for me was running full derailluer housing and a avid rollamajig. and that did the trick. and also to note to check the rear derailluer hanger if its straight. thats my only complaint and i hope SGF would cnc a beefier one. the oem giant hanger is easily bent when the rear wheel is removed.

dirt diggler
    Amazing...after following your advice, my NRS went from a frustrating ghost shifting hunk of aluminium, to a friggin' dream ride! The only other "mod" I made was to drill out the "stops" in the cable stops, ran the housing thru it, and viola! Many thanks.