Saints on my 05 Reign- Mtbr.com
    tch
    mtbr member

Saints on my 05 Reign

Washing the two-year-old Reign this morning and notice my drive side crank arm was wobbling side to side (Race Face Evolve XC) with significant movement. I tried to tighten the crank arms, but they were already stiff.

Took the bike to the LBS and learned that the interface between the two crank arms had become worn and there was nothing that could be done to stop the wobble and slop. Came back home and did some research and found that this is a fairly common issue with the Evolve XC from 05.

I had been planning on upgrading to the new 08 XT cranks, but the time-line is now pushed forward. I ride hard and push the pedals hard as well. What do you all think about the Saints at 1110+ grams vs the XT at 890 grams or so. I ride up to earn all my downhill, but I think the stiffness added by the Saints might be really nice - so the 1/2 pound weight penalty might be worth it. I had been planning on lightening up the whole bike during the next year - hopefully I could make up that 1/2 pound in a tubeless wheel set.

Any thoughts?

Anyone warranty the 05 Evolve cranks?

Johny Sokko!
    I have them on my 05 Reign and they are frickin awesome, super stiff

May contain nuts
    My Evolve have the same problems; even when the crank bolt is bottomed out there is still some movement. (Stupid interference-fit design). You can alleviate it by tightening up the extraction cap, if it's not too far gone.

tch
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies -

I did some more research last night and I'm feeling pretty good about the Saints - it will be nice to get the significantly increased stiffness over the Evolve XC.

My interface was a mess - no way to tighten it up. Thinking back on it, I probably should have recognized it earlier. I had been putting off some work and the issues I was hoping to resolve were most likely associated to the movement (poor shifting, chain suck and some rubbing on the front derailleur in the big cog)

Kind-of bummed about not being able to get the 08 XT upgrade but, the Saints will most likely last a life time and will transfer nicely to a FR/park bike in the next few years.

I live to bike
    Saints are really nice, but as you notice, pretty heavy. If you really want the 08 XTs, you could just purchase something used and cheap to replace with as soon as the XTs come out. Or just go with 07 XTs, they are still nice cranks (you can always get the steel middle ring with the fancy carbon job later).

Members who have read this thread: 0