mtbr member

?'s on outside bearing crankset in a Trance

Looking for some insight on converting to an outside bearing type crank set on my 06 Trance. Are there any modifications needed? Does the bb housing require "facing"? What about the chain line? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

I AM I AM
    I can't help you with the techy questions. But my '06 Trance (Aussie model) came with a Race Face Evolve Ex type crank. This was the model with the "basket style" shock cage, and not the "piereced tube" type, just so you know.

I have abosolutely no idea on chainline stuff. Your crank set should come with spacers and the like to account for any chainline adjustment you may need.
    I imagine it wouldn't be a bad thing to have your bb faced though and apart from that it's just a matter of buying the right bb to suit the frame specs.

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by ejosrq
    Looking for some insight on converting to an outside bearing type crank set on my 06 Trance. Are there any modifications needed? Does the bb housing require "facing"? What about the chain line? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Standard 48mm chainline. With external type BB, 1x2mm spacer on LHS, 2x2mm spacers on RHS. Usually needs the thicker rubber pre-load spacer on the RF crank too, but try it and see. Shimano crank mounting system is muuuch better.

mtbr member
    I'll have to look into getting an XT OSB set-up then. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Shimano external bb

Don't go for a Raceface bb, average lifespan about 3 months(you can check the reviews!)
    New Hollowtech 2 Shimano XT or LX much better choice.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hollowtech 2 XT is working very well for me.

Terry

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hey, if your going to go with an outboard crankset, most of the cranks come with enough offset for a normal chainline. good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0