Mtbr member
    May 2004

RP3 vs Swinger 3

Some of you wanted to know what I thought about RP3 compared to the Swinger 3.

Some background;
    I'm 5' 11'' and 215 lbs. I ride a Reign on mostly local OC trails, I would call myself an aggressive XC rider. I climb slow and like to descend as fast as I can. I tried the RP3 because I could borrow it form one of my other bikes.

Swinger 3:
    At first, I loved this shock. It felt bottomless on the downhills and no bobbing on flats and climbs. My settings were 165 psi main chamber, 100 psi SPV.
    Then, I changed my fork. Switched from a Minute 3 to a Fox Talas. Now, the Swinger felt harsh on the downs. I thought the rebound stop working and the shock was packing up. I would speed up the rebound for the downhills and slow it down for everything else. I was unhappy with the performance of the Swinger, so I ordered the RP3 shock reducers from Fox. Before the reducers arrived, I rode the bike one more time with the Swinger SPV lowered to 50 psi and 165 psi main chamber pressure. Right away I noticed a big difference. The bike felt like it was a downhill bike, very plush. I thought this would hurt the pedal efficiency, but it didn't. The bike barely bobbed while pedaling on the flats, maybe a millimeter or two and no bob on the climbs. Now, the downhills were fun, rear suspension had that bottomless fell again. One side note, there was a clunking noise when the shock would top out. Maybe the SPV pressure was too low.

RP3:
    Finally, get the reducers. I had no problem installing them on the shock. I removed the Swinger and installed the RP3 easily. Oh no, first problem, to add air I have to remove the top bolt and rotate the shock forward to connect the air pump. After three tries, I got the sag set a 17mm, close enough for the first ride. Interesting thing, to achieve this sag (17mm), I had to increase the air pressure to 240 psi. Next day, my first ride. I flick the propedal lever to (+), right away the bike accelerates like a hard tail, no bob. Then, I move the lever to the (-), the bike feels squishy, close to a downhill bike. I decided to leave propedal lever in the (+) for climbing and in the (-) for the downhill.

My conclusion:
    The RP3 performance is not worth the price. I tried it because, I already owned a RP3. I know I can get the RP3 pushed, but this test was for a stock RP3 vs Swinger 3. I have no doubt that a custom tuned shock will out perform a stock one. The RP3 in (-) propedal feels close to the Swinger 3 with 50 psi SPV and the RP3 in (+) propedal feels like the Swinger with 100 psi SPV. What I'm trying to say is that you can get the same performance out of the Swinger by adjusting the SPV pressure. Another thing, at 34% sag (17mm), I should have bottomed out the shock. RP3 ramps up during compression, feeling like it has less travel. I prefer the linear feel of the Swinger. I have read that some people bottom out Swinger, but I never have.

These are my impressions, I hope it helps.

P.S. When I removed the Swinger, I measure the minimum eye to eye length. I measured 5.25 ''. If I'm correct, you could use the new RP23, 7.875'' x 2.25'', to get a Reign with 6.75'' travel. That would be cool.

-Pic

mtbr member
    Thanks for the comparison P'n'S, something to think about if you've got a Reign. Will be interesting for Steve to chime in on his RP3 that PUSH did for him.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    interesting comparision, i am still thinkin about goin with the rp23 in the 7.875x2.25 setup i just hope there is enough clearance with the seat tube and rear tire

Motion activated
    Nice witeup P&S! It's allways good to hear other opinions on things.

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    Thanks for the comparison P'n'S, something to think about if you've got a Reign. Will be interesting for Steve to chime in on his RP3 that PUSH did for him.
    unfortunately I can't comment on the un-pushed rp3 as I purchased mine pre-pushed.

One thing worth mentioning is that the stock rp3 comes in three configurations from the factory. Basically some are valved with more propel than others and IIRC even the ones with the least amount of propel sill have some platform in the '-' setting. Push remove all the PP in the '-' setting.

Also P&S has got 60lb on me, so the Swingers platform might be less noticeable to him.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

Members who have read this thread: 0