Replacement fork for Anthem Advanced X 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Replacement fork for Anthem Advanced X 29er

I have worn the stancions on my Fox Float fork that came stock with the bike. Any suggestions on a good replacement. I am thinking used but may go new. Maybe even go up to 120mm travel.
    I ride and old guy race in Western Canada (Calgary to the Coast) so technical trails, lots of climbing, and I am no too bad going downhill.

WillWorkForTrail
    I would....and this is just me...find a 120mm pike or fox 34 to put on it. I suspect there should be plenty of those available in the "slightly used" market with many bro-riders opting for bigger/longer forks on some bikes than what came stock. My stock Reba blew up, and I put an older fox 32 I had laying around on my bike. I feel like the 32mm stanchions are....well, a bit noodley. But then I'm a bigger guy. A budget choice for a new fork might be something like a Suntour Aion. Be aware, putting a 120mm fork on an Anthem 29er may void your frame warranty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks,
    I am a bigger guy as well so thats a good point. If I go new it will be Fox or RS but would prefer a gently used option instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Want to buy a Fox 32 off of a 2012 Anthem? This one: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-x-29er-1-2012

Probably has about 2,500 miles on it. Been sitting in the shed unused for three years or so.

$75 + shipping.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mbr4527 View Post
    Want to buy a Fox 32 off of a 2012 Anthem? This one: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/anthem-x-29er-1-2012

Probably has about 2,500 miles on it. Been sitting in the shed unused for three years or so.

$75 + shipping.
    The fork on that bike can be extended out to 120 mm by moving a pin in the air spring assembly (quick workshop job).

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    <snip> and I put an older fox 32 I had laying around on my bike. I feel like the 32mm stanchions are....well, a bit noodley.
    Fox 32's were not just a "bit" noodly. They were more noodly than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The Pike/Fox 34 advice is good. Or even a RS Revelation (which was also 32mm stanchions) - the Rev is SOOOOO much less noodly than the Fox 32. In my experience.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Fox 32's were not just a "bit" noodly. They were more noodly than the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The Pike/Fox 34 advice is good. Or even a RS Revelation (which was also 32mm stanchions) - the Rev is SOOOOO much less noodly than the Fox 32. In my experience.
    Well, my Reba was 32mm stanchion too, and it was also noodly. I stand by my advice for something with larger stanchions for big guys, even just riding XC. My single speed also has a 32mm stanchion fork on it, which is somewhat noodly, but I couldn't find any straight steer forks with 34mm stanchions.

mtbr member
    I'd definitely go for a 120mm fork, it makes the Anthem a much better trail bike and I'd also say got for a 34-35mm stanchion fork like an F34, Pike, Trace.

One other piece of advice, check, clean and service your suspension parts more regularly, it makes things much cheaper in the long run
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Well, my Reba was 32mm stanchion too, and it was also noodly. I stand by my advice for something with larger stanchions for big guys, even just riding XC. My single speed also has a 32mm stanchion fork on it, which is somewhat noodly, but I couldn't find any straight steer forks with 34mm stanchions.
    You can't. You have to go with a Fox 36 if you want a beefy fork any more for a straight head tube.

And I'm not surprised you found the Reba noodly.

Revelation ≠ Reba, even given the similarly sized stanchions.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post

Revelation ≠ Reba, even given the similarly sized stanchions.
    Oh, I believe you. But I've reached my conclusions and I'm old and set in my ways. Future forks for me will have 34mm or larger stanchions because I don't figure I can go wrong that way. I've learned I should idiot proof processes as much as possible for other people. Since I'm a bigger idiot than most, I try to make double sure I've done the best I can for me.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Oh, I believe you. But I've reached my conclusions and I'm old and set in my ways. Future forks for me will have 34mm or larger stanchions because I don't figure I can go wrong that way.
    It's a good policy. I'd probably go even further and say don't bother with anything less than 35mm - Pike, Fox 36, Ribbon, etc.

I've learned I should idiot proof processes as much as possible for other people. Since I'm a bigger idiot than most, I try to make double sure I've done the best I can for me.
    Be patient - I believe that we are going to see the return of coil forks in the trail/AM/enderpo categories...