reign x1- Mtbr.com

Thread: reign x1

Jul 2007

reign x1

i was wondering, how will a reign stand up to 2-6 ft drops and some trail riding?

Jul 2007
    Reign does just fine on 2-3 foot drops, hell I used to do that on a rigid bike. Why is it all the sudden people think they need the boxxer forks and mega rigs just to be able to huck?

To me, my 2007 Reign is like riding a couch compared to my old stuff. (hence couchriding)

That one dude
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmymonsta623
    i was wondering, how will a reign stand up to 2-6 ft drops and some trail riding?
    The reign X will be bored
    @cjcrashesalot

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah. No offense meant - your post made me laugh. I felt the same way as you when I was looking at the Reign X and I was considering the Glory FR. I went with the Reign X1 and during rides this year I have seen ppl using this bike for XC right to HC freeride. This bike will be comfortable with 10 ft drops and 15 ft gaps if you can pilot it.

Jul 2007
    none taken, just every time i think of a reign i think of a trail-bike, and i thought the x would be no different. I am 99 percent sure im going to go with the reign x1.

oh, and couch potato, my current bike is a hard tail with an 80mm fork, and thats the bike i do the drops on.

Jul 2007
    well, how does this sound for $2450.98

Frame- giant reign x1
    Wheels- Azonic Outlaws
    Tires- Maxxis crossmark 26 in.
    Shifters- shimano LX
    Brakes- shimano LX
    Crank- shimano LX (lol)
    Stem- Azonic aggro 50mm
    Bars- Azonic stip bar (haha)

How does that sound?

Jul 2007
    forgot the derelliur (however its spelled), grips, cassette and chain.

The fork is a marz 66 rc2x

That one dude
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude_Here
    Yeah. No offense meant - your post made me laugh. I felt the same way as you when I was looking at the Reign X and I was considering the Glory FR. I went with the Reign X1 and during rides this year I have seen ppl using this bike for XC right to HC freeride. This bike will be comfortable with 10 ft drops and 15 ft gaps if you can pilot it.
    yep this bike can definitely take a lot...I have hit legit 40+ foot gaps and 16+ foot drops with no problems. And it can be trail ridden much better than a glory

As far as the component spec... 66 will be killer (that's what I run). Instead of shimano, go for a sram drivetrain if you have a choice, and probably some more aggressive tires. If no choice though, those will definitely work
    @cjcrashesalot

jones'in
    If you can afford 'em, go for a set of Avid Juicys instead of the LX. Even the Juicy 5s will be an improvement. I'm running the stock Juicy 5s on my X1 and they've been holding up just fine with 7" rotors front and rear.

Good luck w/ your build....you're gonna love the X1.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Jul 2007
    How plush is the sixty-six? Its the 66, the rock shox domain, or the fox van 36

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How plush is the sixty-six? Its the 66, the rock shox domain, or the fox van 36
    All three are good, but the 66RC2x is probably the best for the money, and the most tunable. I'm happy with my stock Van36R, but I'm light so I only bottom it occasionally.

For the parts, I agree with the others that Juicy brakes might be a better choice.
    For the crank, I went with a Hone 2-ring with bash, still only 930g, but has the steel axle and pedal inserts, so more suited to FR than the LX cranks.

Yebo Numzaan
    Hey, I paid pretty much that for my Reign X1 and I think you are getting a better fork (i got the 36 van) and definitely better wheels. Mine had SRAM throughout...which BTW, I am totally sold on. (no going back).

The Reign has been rock solid. In 1 week I went from riding in Bend OR (75 miles in 2 days) and then hit Whistler (in the mud) and the Reign rocked it all. I rode for 5 days in the park and hit pretty much everythign that was open at the beginning of the season. The only difference was a pair of Transition FR wheels for Whistler.

Read the posts elsewhere about mine and another dudes Reigns that had a problem with the pivot rubbing on the seat post. I dont think it is an issue if you check your bearings and pivots regularly.

I dont think I have ever swung my leg over a bike and had it feel so awesome from day 1.

good luck dude

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops
    Hey, I paid pretty much that for my Reign X1 and I think you are getting a better fork (i got the 36 van) and definitely better wheels. Mine had SRAM throughout...which BTW, I am totally sold on. (no going back).

The Reign has been rock solid. In 1 week I went from riding in Bend OR (75 miles in 2 days) and then hit Whistler (in the mud) and the Reign rocked it all. I rode for 5 days in the park and hit pretty much everythign that was open at the beginning of the season. The only difference was a pair of Transition FR wheels for Whistler.

Read the posts elsewhere about mine and another dudes Reigns that had a problem with the pivot rubbing on the seat post. I dont think it is an issue if you check your bearings and pivots regularly.

I dont think I have ever swung my leg over a bike and had it feel so awesome from day 1.

good luck dude
    Me too, a heavier set of wheels with DH tires mounted is ideal for lift access days.

mtbr member
    well, how does this sound for $2450.98

Frame- giant reign x1
    Wheels- Azonic Outlaws
    Tires- Maxxis crossmark 26 in.
    Shifters- shimano LX
    Brakes- shimano LX
    Crank- shimano LX (lol)
    Stem- Azonic aggro 50mm
    Bars- Azonic stip bar (haha)

How does that sound?
    may i ask why you would want to run XC race tires on a X1? that build is heavy duty and those tires are a bit XC for the bikes intended purpose. throw some meat on that bike and have some real fun. i'm running minion dhf 2.5 3c and a 2.35 larsen tt. The larsen is a pretty badass tire if you want a strong fast rolling tire with big volume.

Yebo Numzaan
    Totally dude, those wheels are crying out for some burly tyres. I cant believe that for so many years i was a weight weenie....xc tires and tubes. Now that I have seen the light, I hardly ever get pinch flats and actually with bigger tires...get better traction and can climb just as well as I ever could (if i feel like climbing any more!)

Jul 2007
    Thanks for the input, but i bought a pit bike instead, it was 1000 dollars cheaper, and it has a motor.

jones'in
    Thanks for the input, but i bought a pit bike instead, it was 1000 dollars cheaper, and it has a motor.
    lame.
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Jul 2007
    Actually, its preaty fast, and i saved more than a grand. I just thought it was outrageous to pay 2750.00 for a bicycle.

Members who have read this thread: 0