Reign X as a Trail Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Reign X as a Trail Bike

Anyone here who rides this bike or last years '07 Reign on singletrack as their trail bike? In the Midwest we have no mountains just lots of short steep ups and downs with rocks and roots all over.

My current trail bike a Yeti 575 is a little too flexy in the rear as I start hitting stuff faster and harder. I am gonna keep it for those burner group rides.

I wanted something that I can hammer out of the saddle and plow through the roughest stuff. Just sit back and pedal. Not to worry about the safest lines. Oh I forgot to mention that I like to go over stuff too. Not too many drops over 4', my skirt is gettin a tad tight though.

I currently ride a Med w/ a 23.4 TT so the medium Reign X seems like a good fit. The local shop wants to push the newer Reign '08 which is ugly IMHO. They will have a Demo bike built after the Inter Bike Show. It also seems to be very similar to what I have, except stiffer. I ride now with minimal ProPedal on my RP3, just like to see the trail melt away underneath me.

BTW - I am 5'10" 200#, 210#with gear

PS- I am gonna test the shops other Demo an Enduro SL this weekend as my Yeti is out of service again with a bad dogbone (swing link).

Rob
    Last edited by Jack'sDad; 09-21-2007 at 06:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Use a reigh X0 as trail bike its good!!

Motion activated
    The Reign doesn't bob much out of the saddle as long as you're applying a lot of torque (using a the middle & big chain ring also helps), which can be a lot of work on a heavy bike. Running some platform helps with bob, but then you loose small bump sensitivity.

Maybe also take a look at the Nomad, it should treat you better if you have to do a lot of out of the saddle pedaling.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71
    The Reign doesn't bob much out of the saddle as long as you're applying a lot of torque (using a the middle & big chain ring also helps), which can be a lot of work on a heavy bike. Running some platform helps with bob, but then you loose small bump sensitivity.

Maybe also take a look at the Nomad, it should treat you better if you have to do a lot of out of the saddle pedaling.
    No, I do 99% seated. I want the ability to crank up hills out of the saddle. If I am off of the seat it is in the middle or big ring.

I thought of the Nomad/RFX, but it costs over $1K more when closely equiped.

I just wanted to know of the difference of a 28# vs a 32# trailbike with the versatility to go down as well as up at a moments notice.

Rob

I AM I AM
    The new Reign ('08 model) saves 21% on weight compared to the '07 Reign. These figures are out of the latest Aussie AMB magazine:

'07 Reign 0 weight 13.32kg (29.37lb)
    '08 Reign 0 weight 12.54kg (27.65lb)

The '08 is said to be stiffer / stronger / lighter than the '07.

So there you go, just get the '08 reign, it will weigh the same as your Yeti (if you're saying your yeti is 28lb) and you should get a stiffer/stronger bike. It will probably look better in person nd may be something you can get used to, if not well I guess you better look at something else.

I really like my '06 Trance as a general trail bike. Again like you I have no big hills but make do with what there is. I even find it enjoyable riding on the tarmac. Lately I've been riding a HT and really to me the perceived effort on the trance is not really any different to the HT, if anything it feels like it takes more energy to ride the lighter HT I suppose due to more need for lifting the old butt of the saddle

I found it confusing as to weather you were saying that you wanted a bike to ride over stuff and up hills seated or weather you wanted something for out of saddle hammering? For seated climbing and riding the reign would suit to the tee and is best ridden that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    I found it confusing as to weather you were saying that you wanted a bike to ride over stuff and up hills seated or weather you wanted something for out of saddle hammering? For seated climbing and riding the reign would suit to the tee and is best ridden that way.
    Overall ride is 99% seated. On steep techy rooty/rocky climbs I sit for obvious traction reasons. If it is just a longer singletrack smooth climb, I jump out of the saddle and push a bigger gear. So I want to be able to do both.(cake and eat it to)

The Reign '08 0 is like my current ride, probably stiffer. Most of the components are the same, especially the Fox 140mm fork. It looks identical to the Trance X now too. I am also a straight tube guy, maybe more old school.

This is why I wanted to know if anyone out there is running the '08 X or '07 X as their trailbike. Maybe this can be the ONE bike like a Nomad. I hear 6.7 is the new 5, especially with the Maestro.

At my current weight I do not think the 32#'s will hinder my fun as long as I have a huge smile from the ride down and over stuff on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use a Reign X1 as my do everything bike. 3000' climbs are doable, and it makes a wicked DH bike on the way back down.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Hey Rob, would be great to hear your views on the comparison between the Reign X and the Enduro SL

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicy
    Hey Rob, would be great to hear your views on the comparison between the Reign X and the Enduro SL
    Actually will not get a chance to Demo an X, the shop will have straight Reigns. Around the flat Mid-West they feel there is less of a need.

#1 Bike seems L O N G
    #2 The 25mm T/A and stiff rear add to tremendous tracking. Similar traits that the X would have over the regular Reign.
    #3 High BB, can be adjusted down 1/2" with a different shock mount.
    #4 Never had a problem rolling logs
    #5 Hard for me to pull up the front wheel to get over stuff, made it better buy lowering saddle 1"

I did my first ride on the Enduro SL. Suspension was set up with the correct sag on both ends. I just had to fiddle with the 5 compression settings for the front and back. The fork is really plush and blows throught the travel. I set that up in the middle and that kept me from bottoming it out. The rear I felt was best wide open 99% of the time. I couldn't detect noticable bob with it open even out of the saddle up hill.

My issues come from set-up with the front chainrings and seat. The demo has 2 rings a 26 and 36. I am used to 22/32/44. I found the gearing a tad tall. I need to check the gear inches to find my singletrack gear and climbing gear. Sometimes it was hard to climb in the 36 and the 26 was too easy then for the same rear cog.

The demo also had a silly short stem on it.

Will ride it again on Sunday and will time it on my standard10 mile loop to compare time against the Yeti and Tracer. My Yeti is actually 3 minutes faster than the Tracer!!!???!!!

jones'in
    I'm currently riding an '07 Reign X1 as my 'do it all' bike. I'm tending to lean more towards the FR side of 'do it all', so the front/rear coil sprung X1 is perfect for me. Might be a little heavy if you're leaning towards the other end of do it all.....in which case, the X0 might be just right.

Out of the saddle hammering is do-able on the X1 as long as I'm not in my lowest gear. If I'm on the middle chainring (big chainring for me since I run a rock ring) it doesn't bob at all when hammering. Seating climbing in the small chainring is almost bob free, even with a coil DHX 3 (which doesn't have any pro-pedal).

I think the Reign X is the perfect do it all bike. In fact, I bid on a Reign X frame w/ a DHX air on eBay last night to build up a second, light-weight bike for my wife. I lost the bidding , which I was pissed about because it's a great bike.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Ben-

Thanks for your real ife experiences with the X1, I would be getting the XO if for the very least the air shock. Most people say that thier VPP style bikes are best suited to non-platform shocks especially the coil-overs. I current run my air shock full open and rarely resort to platform dampening.

Now if only my wife were as excited as me to be getting a new ride...............

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I have been riding my 2008 Reign X0 for just over a month now. I live in the Arizona desert and most of my riding is over rocky technical single track with many rollers and few sustained climbs. I also usually limit drops to 4-5 feet. This bike has worked great. With minimal propedal settings on the DHX air and the Maestro system, I get very little pedal bob. I like the Fox 36 float with the new 20 mm through axle quick release, but I would have preferred the Talas for its travel adjustment settings. I have gone on 2-3 hour rides without feeling that the bike was too heavy. I also have an Ibis Mojo Carbon (which I love), but there are a few short steep technical areas that I find easier to clear with the Reign due to the increased momentum I am able to generate.

I have also ridden a 2006 Reign 2 on the same trails, and it also performs very well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    dbalderrama-

I too wish that the Float 36 were a talas or Lyrik 2-Step. Since my shop currently only has the X2 what does the X0 weigh? The X2 seems like 34/35, can I expect 1 to 2 lbs off?

I know that I can put some skinny 2.1's on and shave weight that way too, but the bike begs for more meat.

Rob
    Last edited by Jack'sDad; 09-24-2007 at 12:49 PM.

jones'in
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    I know that I can but some skinny 2.1's on and shave weight that way too, but the bike begs for more meat.

Rob
    As you noted, I'm not sure the bike will ride the way you expect with anything less than a decent 2.3 tire on it. It can be a trail bike for sure, but that might be pushing the (lower) limits a bit....

My X1 came w/ Hutchinson Barracuda MRC 2.3s on it. The Hutchinson tires were pure junk, but the 2.3 size was definitely right for a trail riding experience. In my (clydesdale-esque) and more light FR oriented nature, I've since replaced the tires with a 2.5 Nevegal in the rear and a 2.5 Minion DHr in the front. The 2.3 width would be great for heavy trail riding, but I'd steer clear of the Barracuda MRCs...I wasn't (at all) happy w/ them.

--Ben
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    dbalderrama-

I too wish that the Float 36 were a talas or Lyrik 2-Step. Since my shop currently only has the X2 what does the X0 weigh? The X2 seems like 34/35, can I expect 1 to 2 lbs off?

I know that I can but some skinny 2.1's on and shave weight that way too, but the bike begs for more meat.

Rob
    Hey Rob, I have an XC/trail bike too (Stumpy FSR), but I take my Reign X1 on AM/Trail rides when I feel like it. I have a second set of wheels with DH tires for the lift access stuff.

I had wondered about the fork too, since my stock Van36R has no travel adjust, but I am able to clean almost all the steep climbs on it that I do with the XC bike, so Maestro works to keep the back end from squatting (like the FSR does), and the tall fork hasn't really been a problem (yet). Unless you have lots of steep climbs, you might be just fine on the Float fork. I swapped out the original setback seatpost for a straight one, which I've done on all my bikes, since it helps me get my weight forward for climbs (I hate to get off and walk).

As to propedal, for those long smooth climbs where you like to grind out of the saddle, you might want to crank up the Propedal to firm up the platform, but for technical climbs the suspension does its thing just fine with minimal platform.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    dbalderrama-

I know that I can put some skinny 2.1's on and shave weight that way too, but the bike begs for more meat.

Rob

My XO weighed 31.5# with the stock Kenda 2.35 tires and just under 32.5 when I added the pedals (Candy Ti's). The WTB wheelset feels fairly heavy. I plan to switch to tubeless and think I could probably get it down to 30# with thinner tires, but I prefer the beefier tires despite the weight.

mtbr member
    I have just bought the 08 reign XO Japan model.

I really have no idea what stupid giant is thinking by not offering a Large in the Japan market, most J-Folk are NOT THAT BLOODY small.

Anyway, I also do not get Giants choice of the WTB wheelset either...? Poor choice there and the J-Model comes with cheap arse tires which really vexes me. The Ausy model comes with a better set up while also sporting Kendas, it is also a tad cheaper than the J-Model...go figure there.

All in all its a great bike. I was hopoing they were going to do the cool paint scheme as they applied to the new reigns, but alas they have just a standrd PJ...? I really like the idea of the natural alum and beaded alum look, its great. But my new XO PJ is just average beyond measure. So now I am sourcing some Bontragers - A King Earl wheelset: http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wh...eels/21258.php
    Some kends rubber to dress it up with, Goodridge cables, carbon ti rail seat, THE handle bars for DH (maybe), and that crappy fox fork is coming straigt off and I will put either a totum on there with a lower sag to offset the AC hight, or a Lyric...?

And some other small parts. They also did not spec the TOP model with a chain tentioner either...now that is pretty base thinking, and its not THAT expensive to warrent not having it considering the price I just paid for it.

At the end of the day of course I am thrilled at the new bike, but I will be addressing some issues it has from my understanding though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=Sim2u]

Anyway, I also do not get Giants choice of the WTB wheelset either...? Poor choice there and the J-Model comes with cheap arse tires which really vexes me. The Ausy model comes with a better set up while also sporting Kendas, it is also a tad cheaper than the J-Model...go figure there.

All in all its a great bike. I was hopoing they were going to do the cool paint scheme as they applied to the new reigns, but alas they have just a standrd PJ...? I really like the idea of the natural alum and beaded alum look, its great. But my new XO PJ is just average beyond measure. QUOTE]

Yeah im hearin ya i just got 1 of these
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...in/1329/29464/

natural aluminum finish looks sick! and the crossmax wheels are light and strong (been givin them a good smashin1)

Kenda tires are no good though in my opinion hook up alright on hardpack but no grip when it gets loose and gnarl.

gonna swap them out for maxxis minion / highroller UST tires and swap the race face bars which are a bit narrow for my liking for easton EA70

this is the best bike ive ever ridden

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I use my Reign X as my trail bike. I built it up with a semi-conscious effort to keep weight down but as I live right outside Boston and all of my rides are tight singletrack littered with alot of rocks, I also made sure it was durable. Like your trails, everything I ride is real quick and steep ups and downs. I keep the bars slammed as low as they can and use a very low rise Easton bar. As its set up, it works excellent. I think with a shorter stem ( I use a 70mm Thomson) or higher rise bars it might not work as well, but the combo of the low bars and slack HA is awesome on the trails. ever have an issues climbing anything and as built, it weighs in real low 30's. It pedals excellent with the coil...but I just switched to a 08 DHX Air to shave a bit of weight. A friend of mind rides a Nomad with a similar spec and there appears to be little to no weight difference between our bikes ( we both have the same shock and fork combo).

I personally like the Hitchinson Barracudas in the mRC 2.3 but I do ride em converted to tubeless with stans so that may have something to do with it and tires are very much a personal choice IMO.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Yeah the Kendas were of a lower budget range, but still I can't complain too much about them. Theyt are great for hard pack, dry and clay like conditions that are not too muddy. Anything that revolves around mud ro anything resembling it, swap out the kendas for something that has a better nob pattern, as the Fr and Rr centre tread are poor for those conditions IMHO.

[QUOTE=MRschnitzel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u

All in all its a great bike. I was hopoing they were going to do the cool paint scheme as they applied to the new reigns, but alas they have just a standrd PJ...? I really like the idea of the natural alum and beaded alum look, its great. But my new XO PJ is just average beyond measure. QUOTE]

Yeah im hearin ya i just got 1 of these
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...in/1329/29464/

natural aluminum finish looks sick! and the crossmax wheels are light and strong (been givin them a good smashin1)

Kenda tires are no good though in my opinion hook up alright on hardpack but no grip when it gets loose and gnarl.

gonna swap them out for maxxis minion / highroller UST tires and swap the race face bars which are a bit narrow for my liking for easton EA70

this is the best bike ive ever ridden

mtbr member
    Well...I have to eat my own words about the fox chaps...its been GREAT. I have not liked past models, but this 08 has been very trippy. Just that silly black cap design is my ownly niggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    I have just bought the 08 reign XO Japan model.

I really have no idea what stupid giant is thinking by not offering a Large in the Japan market, most J-Folk are NOT THAT BLOODY small.

All in all its a great bike. I was hopoing they were going to do the cool paint scheme as they applied to the new reigns, but alas they have just a standrd PJ...? I really like the idea of the natural alum and beaded alum look, its great. But my new XO PJ is just average beyond measure. So now I am sourcing some Bontragers - A King Earl wheelset: http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Wh...eels/21258.php
    Some kends rubber to dress it up with, Goodridge cables, carbon ti rail seat, THE handle bars for DH (maybe), and that crappy fox fork is coming straigt off and I will put either a totum on there with a lower sag to offset the AC hight, or a Lyric...?

And some other small parts. They also did not spec the TOP model with a chain tentioner either...now that is pretty base thinking, and its not THAT expensive to warrent not having it considering the price I just paid for it.

At the end of the day of course I am thrilled at the new bike, but I will be addressing some issues it has from my understanding though.

Members who have read this thread: 0