mtbr member

Reign x + ext.bb

Any one else had trouble installing external bottom bracket cups into their reign x frame? Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the reign x bb shell 73mm. According to shimano's website, this would mean one spacer on the drive side and none on the non drive side. Just makes it a pain in the ass getting the non drive side bb cup tightened right into the frame, as the park tool i'm using seems to be hitting of the pivot bolts near the bottom of the frame, meaning i cant turn it to tighten it right in
    Not sure if i should just take the pivot out to see if it gives more space for the tool to turn, or maybe try a different type of tool?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    i havnt had a problem although it is a bit tight. you can try taking the bolt out, that should help a bit. but it sounds like you would appreciate one of these...

mtbr member
    Cheers beauster, was thinking that tool might be the way to go.

squish is good
    Hmm, on my '05 frame I have to air down the shock and compress the rear suspension completely to get an X-type tool to fit in there, recently switched to ISIS after getting sick of going through a heavy duty BB every 6 months and haven't had a worry since.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    I have an 07 and I did have to remove the rear triangle completely to get that external bracket installed. I used the Park BBT9 tool, and it didn't fit any other way. I should didn't have the socket tool shown above, which would have been better. And yep, one spacer only on the drive side (FSA V-drive megaexo).

tk

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help!

Members who have read this thread: 0