reign vs reignx...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

reign vs reignx...

thats the big question for me, im a small guy at 5'2" 135lbs ready to ride. i am currently on a specialized enduro non sl version and find that it sucks at pedaling. i want to get away from the fsr design and i really like the look/design of giant. this is where you guys come into play...should i get the reign or reign x? if i got the reign it would most likely be an older model (lbs has a 2006 reign 2 in a small that seems to fit). i have a lighter wheelset (1485g/pair) for xc rides and what not, and the rest of the bike would be as follows...
    x.0 shift pods/rear der
    xtr crankset/ft der
    hope m4 brakes
    king headset
    thompson stem
    gravity droppper post
    truvativ carbon team bar
    55ata fork
    (will an air shock with a piggy fit in the 06 reign? such as rocco tstr air? anyone know?)
    if i were to get the reign x it would be el chepo version so i could also do above upgrades, my biggest issue...weight. what is the weight difference between the two frames? i know one has a coil shock and the other an air, but what is a rough estimate (or an exact, those tend to work also...haha) of the frame weights?

something else i should note is i am an aggressive rider who mostly likes the downhills. this bike will be seeing its fair share of double black diamond downhills as well as its fair share of pedaling. ANY and ALL feedback is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

redrider11

May contain nuts
    Can't put a piggy back in any Reign fram 'cept the X and the new 08 Reign.

Ideally, I'd like a Reign X and a 08 Trance X0.

I think you are doing it all wrong contemplating a 1400g wheelset for a Reign X, even as a second wheelset. Go for the std 08 Reign if you want one bike to ride everywhere and anywhere.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by redrider11
    thats the big question for me, im a small guy at 5'2" 135lbs ready to ride.

(will an air shock with a piggy fit in the 06 reign? such as rocco tstr air? anyone know?)
    if i were to get the reign x it would be el chepo version so i could also do above upgrades, my biggest issue...weight. what is the weight difference between the two frames? i know one has a coil shock and the other an air, but what is a rough estimate (or an exact, those tend to work also...haha) of the frame weights?

something else i should note is i am an aggressive rider who mostly likes the downhills. this bike will be seeing its fair share of double black diamond downhills as well as its fair share of pedaling. ANY and ALL feedback is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!

redrider11
    No piggyback on the standard reign except for the '08 with redesigned shock placement.

For your size / weight, I'd say the stock reign would be stout enough to ride agressively. As Haggis alluded, I think an ultra light wheelset is gonna be a bigger issue with going big on the bike than the frame itself. I've got an '05 Reign 3 with a 36 and have ridden it pretty hard.

I'm about 155 lbs. nekkid and I've ridden the Reign on some harsh conditions. I just took the ride on this ride last week and it held up fine. Sorry no pics of the reign on this one....I don't have the pics from the other dudes yet.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=339990

Cheers,
    EB

Motion activated
    king headset
    CK doesn't make an integrated HS.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I saw a Rocco air tst on an 07 Reign and it also had a 55ata fork as well. Belonged to one of the guys from Marz (they ride a trail by my house). He had nothing but good things to say about the setup. The shock was fillin' that hole, but it fits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks for the info on the shock.
    as for the wheelset, i already have it...stans 355 rim with sapim cx-ray spokes and hope pro2 hubs comes to 1485 with a rim strip and rear skewer, you would be surprised at how much abuse these can handle, downieville three times, and local trails considered "DH" (auburn area) the only time i really need to switch out to a heavier duty wheel is for something like northstar, which the stock wheels should work perfectly.
    bummer about the headset, didnt realize these were integrated...whatev.
    another thing, will i be missing out on any plushness with the fox rp3 shock? i have never ridden one and have a DHXA on my enduro, the only air shock ive ever ridden.
    once again thanks for all the input.

redrider11

Motion activated
    will i be missing out on any plushness with the fox rp3 shock? i have never ridden one and have a DHXA on my enduro, the only air shock ive ever ridden.
    once again thanks for all the input.

redrider11
    The stock rp3 does have some propel even in it's -'ve setting but with the rp23 you can turn off the PP completely. One option with the rp3 is to get it custom tuned though Push Ind. They can remove all the PP on the rp3 and even add 0.75" of travel to bring the regular reign up to 6.75" of travel.

I have a pushed rp3 on my Reign and it's very nice. I wouldn't say it's perfect in every regard, but the small bump compliance it great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    sweet, thank you for that info Steve71. very usefull indeed.
    do you happen to know how much it costs exactly to get the shock "pushed" as well as the travel added?
    also a time estimate would be great too.
    once again thank you for the help.

redrider11

Just roll it......
    sweet, thank you for that info Steve71. very usefull indeed.
    do you happen to know how much it costs exactly to get the shock "pushed" as well as the travel added?
    also a time estimate would be great too.
    once again thank you for the help.

redrider11
    Price: $150
    http://pushindustries.com/services.p...20Air%20Shocks

Lead time is on their site. Looks to be 4-6 business days right now (look in the upper right corner of the screen).
    http://pushindustries.com/

Motion activated
    Not sure if the $150 includes the bottom out bumper. I think that was a $20 option IIRC and the extra travel is a $25 option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    awesome, thats really great info. thanks a lot guys. you have been a big help, seems like the best bet for me is the standard reign with a push'd shock. im going to the shop today to see if i can put a down payment on the bike and start ordering all my goodies. i'll be sure to post pics...might be a while tho...im in college, haha

thanks again to all those who contributed their time and knowledge!

redrider11

Members who have read this thread: 0