Thread: Reign Size Help

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Reign Size Help

Hi guys, this question probably gets asked quite a lot, but I'd really appreciate to hear your help or experiences.

I am 6ft, and have a 33inch inseam, I'm not sure if I should buy an 18inch or a 20inch frame. The salesman at by lbs was adamant that I should get the 20, but sitting on the 18 to me felt a little better (maybe this would not be true out on the trail, I'm not sure).

Thanks for your replies.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am 6'5" and have a 35" inseam and the 21" feel great. My son is 6'3" and also has a 21" Reign which fits him fine. To me, it seems that the 20" is more suited to your size.

What was it about the 20" that felt odd to you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I am 6ft 33in inseam as well. I ended up with the 20in 06 Reign 2 (aussie spec). The main reason why was I have long legs and long arms and didnt want I high seat position and it just felt better. The jury is out on sizes similar to us so go with what feels right.

mtbr member

Depends on your riding

I ride mainly fast rooty single track small drops and a litle downhill, very few miles of what i would call X country, as a result i spend barley no time in the sadle and went fo a 16" frame i am 5' 9 1/2 i like a small sized bike i can dominate with my body english,i find large bikes feel almost like they are in charge and not me.

If you like to throw it arround and do a little downhill an 18" maybe right i think its down to style and what you want to do with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm pretty much the exact size as you, and went with the 18". Your inseam is slightly longer than average, so you might feel stretched out on a 20".

If your inseam is shorter, and upper body longer, then a 20" might be the way to go - but doesn't seem like the case. Anyway, try them both out, but I recommend the 18".

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm 6'0" too, but 34" inseam and similarly long armed - I find a 20" (with an 80mm stem) fits me perfectly - on the 18" I'd have to run a stem longer than 100mm to be comfy climbing.

However, according to Giants own sizing table, at 6 foot you're good for either the 18 or 20 (right in the middle of the size overlap), so if the 18" feels good without a stupid long stem you'll be fine.

Main issue might be how much drop you have from the seat to the bars - the 18" has 23mm less head tube height than the 20", so even with 2" riser bars you may struggle to get the bars at a sensible height given your long inseam (hence why I went the 20" - though it does look a bit funny since the seat tube is so crazy long)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    What was it about the 20" that felt odd to you?
    Leg-wise it feel ok, but my arms felt streched out a bit too much.

My lbs would allow people to test ride bikes, even in the car park, I think ill have to go somewhere else and ride them both. But for now I think the 20 with a shoter stem is the way to go.

Thanks for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0