reign/reign x as my only big(ger) bike?- Mtbr.com
    gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

reign/reign x as my only big(ger) bike?

Thinking of buying a Reign to replace my spec big hit (not sure whether I will part out most of big hit or buy a complete reign). I'm ~160-170 lbs and will be riding mostly BC technical (Vancouver/Nelson). Anyone ride similar and have the reign as their only bike?

From what I've heard and seen on here it looks up to the task but still not certain as to how choosey I would have to be in picking lines and the durability of frame. My other choices would be spec sx trail or stinky d.

Thanks, gmx

Just roll it......
    I'm seeing lots of guys use the Reign x's as their "one" bike. The use really depends on the build more than anything. If you're planning to ride the shore/whistler on it, you should consider a 66 or a Totem. Not that the 36 isn't up to the task, but it's definitely more of a trail-friendly fork than those other two. If you're gonna do a mix of xc and fr with it, go with the 36 Van and a medium build. For the bike park, you could always swap to dh tires if needed.

On the shore, my standard reign with a medium duty build is sweet! On a recent trip to whistler, I had my wife drop me on seymour and did a speed run down CBC - Corkscrew - Salvation - Pingu - Pangor - Empress and it was rad having a bike that I could just throw it around. Also, it's so nice climbing up fromme on a rig that's not 45 lbs., but it can handle the steeps without an issue. Last time on fromme, I had a nasty case on the 2nd air supply gap and it was totally fine. If this weren't my xc bike, I'd put meatier tires on it.....as it is, I'm totally stoked on the Reign. If I didn't have a dh bike, the reign x would be a great choice for a rig.

Cheers,
    EB

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Cheers EB. I'm loving the idea of a "lighter" bike that performs on the downs. How do you find the air shock in the rear? If it wasn't your xc/trail bike would you go for a coil?

jones'in
    I'm using my '07 Reign X as my 'do it all' bike. See my post here:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...21#post3556021

Great bike......
    \m/ (>.<) \m/
    For Sale: Revox ISX 10.5x3.5

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by gmx
    Cheers EB. I'm loving the idea of a "lighter" bike that performs on the downs. How do you find the air shock in the rear? If it wasn't your xc/trail bike would you go for a coil?
    yeah, I'd definitely have a coil shock....and I would've gone with a vanilla 36 for that matter. As it is, I use the bike for xc riding and some FR, so the air rear and talas 36 help keep the bike light and the adjustable fork keeps the bike more versatile for the steep climbs. It's not that the bike doesn't climb well with the fork at 160mm, but it is nice to be able to drop it down for the really steep stuff.

My bike is 35 lbs. with light'ish 2.6's on it. If I used it for more fr, I'd go with true dh tires which would add a couple of pounds.

Cheers,
    EB

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thx Venom 600. I was pondering the same frame on ebay but was hesitant about the shock.
    EB. I was thinking the same about the rear. and since it will be the "big rig" a few extra pounds are not an issue.

cheers!

gmx

mtbr member
    Put a 66 with ETA on it an you'll be set.

Members who have read this thread: 0