Reign and Reign X classifications?- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

Reign and Reign X classifications?

I own a 2005 Reign 2 and I was recently (for the sake of gloating) reading its glowing reviews here on mtbr. I forgot that according to mtbr I own a "freeride" bike as I first looked for Reign 2 reviews in the XC and All Mountain sections. Then I noticed that the Reign X was in the All Mountain section. I thought Freeride was technically more "hardcore" than All Mountain and I thought the Reign X was the tougher longer travel version of the standard Reign. Am I just missing something? or are the categories in the review section a bit free form and random.

So then whats the Trance X? If its a longer travel tougher version of the trance, doesn't that just make it a Reign?

Now that I know I have a freeride bike I better go off more drops and those funny little wodden ladder things :-D

mtbr member
    The review categories here are sometimes wrong.

Anthem = XC race bike
    Trance = 4" XC bike
    Trance X = 5" trail bike
    Reign = 6" trail bike
    Reign X = 6.75 heavy trail / light freeride bike.

Did you notice I didn't use either "all" or "mountain"

Jun 2007
    I did indeed notice that you didn't use either "All" or "Mountain" which is cool as I think its a rather dumb category

To me "All Mountain" just means XC. what XC rider would avoid parts of the mountain. Its not like they make 3/4 mountain bikes, I think they are all designed to ride on "all" of the mountain.

I just asked because it seems bike companies created "all mountain" as a sort of "EXTREME XC!!!!" category so they can sell 5" trail bikes that aren't as heavy as a long travel DH/FR bike. I just wondered if I was missing something about the Reign X since it seemed "All mountain" was the less intense category than freeride, where the regular reign resides. I think you cleared it up though, thanks.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenlex
    Trance = 4" XC bike
    Trance X = 5" trail bike
    What is the difference between XC and trail? Doesn't one ride cross-country on trails? What is the distinction here?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    What is the difference between XC and trail? Doesn't one ride cross-country on trails? What is the distinction here?
    In all honesty, these terms are marketing terms. Giant will call the 4" trance a 'Trail' Bike. and Specialized will call the Stumpy a Trail bike, whilst the 4" Epic is an XC bike. But it's not about travel!!!

It's meant to be about application and recommended use. You also have to factor in the geometry of a bike. XC is normally reserved for 'XC racing' but Cross Country is also equally applicable to Trail riding- which is just the type of riding most people do. It's up and down, it's sometimes technical, but it's definitely not 6' drop offs. Essentially my trail bike, can do just what an all mountain or XC bike can- but it's about whether you value pedalling less weight, speed, handling etc.

Of course, this leads to endless discussion since some people think x and other think y.

squish is good
    A given rider can make any mountain bike ride almost every trail, providing his/her skill level allows for it. The differences between the Reign and Reign X are as previously detailed travel (6 vs 6.75 inches) and geometry (69 degree head angle with the stock fork vs. approximately 66 degrees, not 100% sure on that.). The build of the frame is similar as the regular Reign is designed to handle the same kind of turrain that the X is, it's just set up to handle better in more diverse conditions. I own a '05 Reign 2 and after switching to a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 w/ through axle the thing is raked out like a downhill bike at full extension. I see no need to switch frames until I break my original because It's so easy to alter geometry by swapping to a taller fork, plus you gain travel. I've ridden the same trails with my original setup as I have with the new fork, the difference is that it is a little easier to control, but I would never say I couldn't ride a trail with the OEM setup on my bike. Short story is ride what you got and buy upgrades when you get the itch, they pay off but arent always required.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by majura
    It's meant to be about application and recommended use. You also have to factor in the geometry of a bike.
    Bike manufacturers often fail to do a good job at describing intended use. I find I have to read between the lines a lot. Terms like "XC" versus "trail" versus "all mountain" can be confusing. I appreciate the explanation.

Geometry. I agree. Too much emphasis on suspension travel, and often not enough on the geometry. I like having a lot of travel, but the effects from geometry are pretty darned important. I wouldn't mind seeing more emphasis placed on geometry decisions in bike catalogs. When reading up on a bike, I'd love to see a paragraph or two explaining why the frame designers made the geometry choices that they did. Having the raw numbers is ok, but to have the reasoning behind those numbers would be fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    A given rider can make any mountain bike ride almost every trail, providing his/her skill level allows for it. The differences between the Reign and Reign X are as previously detailed travel (6 vs 6.75 inches) and geometry (69 degree head angle with the stock fork vs. approximately 66 degrees, not 100% sure on that.). The build of the frame is similar as the regular Reign is designed to handle the same kind of turrain that the X is, it's just set up to handle better in more diverse conditions. I own a '05 Reign 2 and after switching to a Marzocchi All Mountain 1 w/ through axle the thing is raked out like a downhill bike at full extension. I see no need to switch frames until I break my original because It's so easy to alter geometry by swapping to a taller fork, plus you gain travel. I've ridden the same trails with my original setup as I have with the new fork, the difference is that it is a little easier to control, but I would never say I couldn't ride a trail with the OEM setup on my bike. Short story is ride what you got and buy upgrades when you get the itch, they pay off but arent always required.
    Reign - some people have run a tall fork like you and found the BB to be a bit high to be practical. The Reign X is relatively low with the stock 160mm fork, giving a low standover as well as great handling, and according to the specs the HA is 67.

Yeah, if you're happy now, there is no reason to change to the X frame, but the geometry is different along with travel and strength.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would say too many categories or too many names for one category.For me is All-mountain/tour/trail the same-bike with more travel than XC/marathon bike and lighter than real Enduro bike,but as I see on magazines everybody say something else...Good example was with Stumpy-Trance.I would say the same cathegory, makers says-Stumpy with 4.7inches travel (27,5lbs Comp version 2007) XC category and Trance 2 with 4inches (around 30,8lbs) already trail/all-mountain bike???It's also about weight...

I already rode that
    The reason why there isnt a AM category is prob cause MTBR didnt "embrace" that term when the Reign was introduced.

As for the types of riding xc is am is trailbike Some ppl like to ride the rough stuff while others like to ride the easier stuff. So of course when you ride harder you usually need stronger components...
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

Members who have read this thread: 0