Reign Long Travel 29er?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Reign Long Travel 29er?

Was in my LBS today picking up my wifeĒs Trance and was mentioning Iíd go back to Giant if they ever 29er Reign. I was told itís coming. Anyone have any info? I loved my 05 Reign. Great all around bike.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Was in my LBS today picking up my wifeĒs Trance and was mentioning Iíd go back to Giant if they ever 29er Reign. I was told itís coming. Anyone have any info? I loved my 05 Reign. Great all around bike.
    I was told prior to the release of the Trance 29 (which no one would talk about) that "Giant has a new 29er coming, but if it doesn't have enough travel to suit you, wait til after the first of the year." So it would seem that we both have information about a long(er) travel 29er. But that's all I got.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    My shop didnít have any info either. We both are thinking prob in the area of 170/160mm. I just hope it pedals like other Maestro bikes do. Iíve read the current 27.5 Reign isnít very good pedaler.

WillWorkForTrail
    My shop didnít have any info either. We both are thinking prob in the area of 170/160mm. I just hope it pedals like other Maestro bikes do. Iíve read the current 27.5 Reign isnít very good pedaler.
    Right. I've ridden the 2018 Reign 27.5, and it was a dog pedaling compared to the SC Nomad. If they can't get a 160 bike to pedal better than that, I'd settle for seeing a "Reign 29" come in at 140 and pedal as well as the Trance 27.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I had the original Reign back in 05. That was a killer bike. I could pedal it all day on 30 mile epics and still mash downhills.

Iím looking for a long travel trail bike. More then a downhill enduro 29. Curious to see what they bring out.

My wifeís 18 Trance 27.5 is an awesome bike. A 29 version of that bike would be exactly what Iím looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Any news on a 29 Reign?

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    July

Any news on a 29 Reign?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Any details?

mtbr member
    I have also heard this summer for release.

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Three models with different travel. i've heard the front will range from 140-170 for the three. But that could have changed from when i got the info a couple of months ago.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Three models with different travel. i've heard the front will range from 140-170 for the three. But that could have changed from when i got the info a couple of months ago.
    Really? That sounds amazing. Back when Reign first came out in 05 it was Giants work horse do all bike. Sounds like you will be able to be able to configure it for Trail, Enduro or Park based on needs. That would be awesome! Come on Giant!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2001
    Some people say giant is boring, too conservative, and maybe they are sometimes late to the gate with certain models, but they are in a great place since they make so many other bike companies bikes.

They can see what is selling, where the trends go and how fast they die.

All that plus now that they have their 2 year crash replacement on carbon, I am holding off on a new bike until i for sure see what giant is doing later in the summer.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by big country View Post
    Some people say giant is boring, too conservative, and maybe they are sometimes late to the gate with certain models, but they are in a great place since they make so many other bike companies bikes.

They can see what is selling, where the trends go and how fast they die.

All that plus now that they have their 2 year crash replacement on carbon, I am holding off on a new bike until i for sure see what giant is doing later in the summer.

I think Giant makes some good bikes. You often can get their frames at a very reasonable cost from dealers. Frames also typically include the headset which I've found to be very good. Two of my three main rides are Giants. A Glory 2015 and that thing is just so dialed, and it refuses to die. The bearings are still good and the thing rips. My latest bike, a Trance 29, feels great. Only a few rides so far, but so far I'm very happy. To me, their suspension, at least on all the Giants I've tried, feels great. A year or two ago ran into a Reign with a coil with a remote lock out out back. Real nice bike and felt so glued to the ground.

Smaller mom and pop bike makers are great too, and my 3rd main ride is a Knolly, but just because a maker is big, doesn't make'm bad.

If Giant came out out with a modest travel, AM/Enduro, 29 Reign, I'd give it a shot.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Given my current experience with my Trance, I'm definitely on board to hear some details on a 29er Reign.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Figure out how to slap 29 wheels on the Trance 27.5. Keep the blacked out color. Here take my money...please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    A 160mm 29er Reign would be so fast. They will make the seat tube angle steeper for sure, but I hope they donít mess with the leverage curve. I have a 2019 Reign with Super Deluxe coil and itís already so fast. Give this thing big wheels and itís a race bike, for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    More deets to come in August. But itís official, Giant will be dropping a line of Reign 29ers in a 150/160 configuration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Adam Craig seemed to have something new at the Trans-Provence recently...

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17405147/?s6

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Word is it drops tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Reign Long Travel 29er?-1149401c-8707-4f1c-b700-d1b8c31a3e53.jpg

Spotted on Richie Rudes insta

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaindrew94 View Post
    More deets to come in August. But itís official, Giant will be dropping a line of Reign 29ers in a 150/160 configuration.
    Make it carbon front, alloy rear and with a threaded BB and I'll buy one tomorrow.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Haha I wish. The days of outboard seem to be behind us as tragic as it is.

I WANT A V10
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cck_9 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1149401C-8707-4F1C-B700-D1B8C31A3E53.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	1269897

Spotted on Richie Rudes insta
    i got the same snap shot haha

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Haha I wish. The days of outboard seem to be behind us as tragic as it is.
    The only companies I can think of that make full suspension carbon bikes with a threaded BB are Santa Cruz and Ibis.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbomber252 View Post
    The only companies I can think of that make full suspension carbon bikes with a threaded BB are Santa Cruz and Ibis.
    And Transition. And Whyte. And Alchemy. And Evil. And Spot. And, hell, Specialized.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Well, i am a bit disappointed. Mostly by the fact that probably none of those sizes will fit me. There is huge difference between M and L sizes. Also, no bike is equipped with new shimano slx/xt frame.

On the other hand, the amount of travel and angles would be perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sizing concerns me a little, I think Iíd be a medium but wonít know for sure until I get a ride on one. Also disappointed with no SLX drivetrain. My current bike has Sram GX and I canít say Iím too keen on getting that again. Anyone else getting that ignoring clicking sound in only one of the gears?

Rocks belong
    I was hopeful, but it seems this Reign ainít for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by clone185 View Post
    Sizing concerns me a little, I think Iíd be a medium but wonít know for sure until I get a ride on one. Also disappointed with no SLX drivetrain. My current bike has Sram GX and I canít say Iím too keen on getting that again. Anyone else getting that ignoring clicking sound in only one of the gears?
    I have a GX Eagle drivetrain as well, and it was only in the 5th-smallest cog that I noticed a clicking sound. There was actually one tooth that the chain was getting momentarily hung up on, so I had my LBS file that tooth a bit - clicking gone!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Wow, I own an XL trance 29 and I'd be a solid L reign 29. Initial looks at geo look solid. It's definitely going to be a plow sled, but that's always been the reign's deal anyway. Pretty awesome park, gnar and race bike.
    Name:  its-yuge.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  29.3 KB

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'll be interested to read some feedback from early adopters. But just looking at the numbers/builds/price, I'm glad I didn't wait.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I thought there would have been a bigger roll out. Only found one YouTube video so far. I donít even see the bike in Giants webpage. The Trance 29 had a lot of fanfare when it was released.

Iím really interested in how it climbs. If you can ride this bike on all day epics. Or is just a down hill bike that will get you to the top okay. I really hope it rides like the Trance 27.5

Edit: I spoke too soon. Giant updated it page to showcase the Reign. Found a YouTube review. FLOW has a pretty good review which touched in my questions. Sounds like Giant decided to go with less travel to make it a better pedal bike then just a down hill sled.

Iím pretty stoked! I had the original 05 Reign and loved it

mtbr member
    Very interested in checking one of these out, I currently have a large Reign 2 and being 6'2" I always felt it was a little too small, I was sold on my next bike being an XL.

But the numbers (Head tube, reach, wheelbase, stack etc) on this new Reign 29er in large are MUCH larger than the 27.5 Reign, and the XL might be HUGE! haha.
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

carbon classic
    Jul 2011
    Reign 29 now on the Giant Australia website.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/reign29

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by minimusprime View Post
    Wow, I own an XL trance 29 and I'd be a solid L reign 29. Initial looks at geo look solid. It's definitely going to be a plow sled, but that's always been the reign's deal anyway. Pretty awesome park, gnar and race bike.
    Name:  its-yuge.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  29.3 KB
    I was actually talking to one of the guys at my LBS about this yesterday. I told him I felt like the XL Trance was still a little tight, and that I hoped the XL Reign was longer. I'm thinking about putting a 20mm longer stem on my trance 29.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    I thought there would have been a bigger roll out. Only found one YouTube video so far. I donít even see the bike in Giants webpage. The Trance 29 had a lot of fanfare when it was released.

Iím really interested in how it climbs. If you can ride this bike on all day epics. Or is just a down hill bike that will get you to the top okay. I really hope it rides like the Trance 27.5

Edit: I spoke too soon. Giant updated it page to showcase the Reign. Found a YouTube review. FLOW has a pretty good review which touched in my questions. Sounds like Giant decided to go with less travel to make it a better pedal bike then just a down hill sled.

Iím pretty stoked! I had the original 05 Reign and loved it
    Looks much more progressive than the last generation of Reign. With the seat tube almost 4 degrees steeper than the old 27.5 rendition I would think your seated power position would be a lot more efficient for climbing. It does have a 65 head angle which is pretty slack up hill but still a much better position for climbing I'd think

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I like what they done wth the bike (except for the L being too long). Iwould buy this frame only though:

Manitou Mara and Mezzer for supension
    Formula Cura 4 brakes
    Revive dropper
    Some decend 30mm alloy wheels

On the other hand my Trance 27.5 is a much better bike than I'm a rider, so I'll stick with it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Giant's frame only options are hard to beat for price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Iím looking at the AL since this will be my second bike and only used 20% of the time. I doubt I can get my CFO to authorize a second 5k bike.

Plan is to the swap the giant wheels to a set of Stans Flows I have and prob upgrade from NX to GX.

I am familiar with Fox products. Not so much with RS. How is the RS stuff that is specd on the AL bike? What would be the equivalent to the Yari RC and RS Deluxe select + in the Fox line up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Probably DPS shock and Ryt series fork equivalent

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Probably DPS shock and Rhythm series fork equivalent

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Probably DPS shock and Rhythm series fork equivalent
    Thanks. That helps

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have they started showing up in LBSí yet? My shop placed an order they day before the release

I WANT A V10
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Have they started showing up in LBSí yet? My shop placed an order they day before the release
    I have confirmation that the advance pro 1 will arrive in shops week 41 and the sx will arrive week 44 in British columbia.