Reign Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Reign Help

mtbr member

Reign Help

What's up guys? I am stuck and am really hoping that you all can offer up some advice/info to help me make a purchasing decision. I have been reading a lot of great reviews about the Reigns and am ready to buy now. I am in the process of deciding between the '08 Reign 1 and the '08 Reign X1. I am wanting the bike to handle some moderate drops/hits but still want to be able to ride it uphill when necessary. I just moved from Denver to Kansas City for a job but will be returning to Denver next year. My riding there consists of lots of climbing (hard to avoid) and lots of downhill. My riding here consists of up and down technical stuff that is everything from loose dirt and gravel to roots and babyheads. Some trails are rocky with some ledges and drops as well.

Being that the new 1 has not been released yet, I am wanting input from current Reign 1/X1 owners as to how their bikes handle on climbs and on long rides. With most of the weight being centered low on the bike, I am guessing that it is not really too much of an issue in these situations.

This will have to be my one-bike-does-it-all bike, so that is where my dilemma is. The Reign 1 appears to have lost a lot of weight and seems to be a good choice for the long epic rides I do with friends in the hills. On the other hand, the geometry of the X1 is great and the reviews of this frame from people here make it sound amazing in the long run. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by rfields4013; 07-19-2007 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    for more extended climbing the reign1 seems to be the weapon of choice although i'm sure the x1 can be used to climb the same stuff at the expense of slacker angles and more weight. the reign is a 6" bike and has no problems taking drops. with the weight drop on the 08 reigns, i wouldn't even think twice and just go for a reign 1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have been riding a Reign for almost 3 years and I ride pretty agressive and I really have not needed more travel or weight. Mine climbs really well and descends excellent. I do some moderate drops and tech. riding and it has served me well. I would have to say that the 140 mm fox forks somewhat limit the newer reigns a bit as I have tried them on mine and they are a little low on the AC. It doesn't seem to ride as well in ultra tech. terrain with a cross country type fork. I know fox touts the 140 as a trail fork but in my experiance it held back the bike a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

07 riegn 1

i have been riding 07 reign 1. it pedals so stinking good. to me down hills even steep tch is no problem. i ride with guys on full blown dh an fr rigs. ride everything they do. i love the reign for its ability to pedal and climp yet still have it all for down and drops. asilvertouch.com did review on there page and were hitting 7ft drops nproblem. i can't talk on the x1 for i have not riden but the reign is awsome for me. i wiegn in 200# and it is awsome.cool:

mtbr member
    Thanks disolverof! That was one of the most thorough reviews I have read so far. Very informative!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, Reign with a travel-adjustable fork would be a good choice.

X1 is a bit more DH-oriented, but I've done some big and technical climbs on it too.

Members who have read this thread: 0