mtbr member

Reign frame weight plus questions

Whats is the reign frame weight?

I have a hardtime deciding between a trance or a reign, I currently got a balfa belair that i really like, the bike climbs well and is setup for heavy duty Xc\trairiding(33lbs), i'm 5,11" 200lbs...i'm wondering if someone has ever had a belair and could compare the 2 bikes...

.everyone is saying that the reign is a good climber..is it really that good? I was looking for 5" trailbike for a while, the reign is so cheap theses days that i have to consider it..that said I'm a bit scared of buying a 6" travel bike for xc\trailridingg,,. There a lot of climbing up here with super nice downhill and the trails are very technical, i'm wondering if the 6" of travel will be pedaling efficiently enough for my needs???

any thoughts?.

what do you guys use your reign for?

what size would you recommend for me?(5' 11", 200lbs)
    Last edited by tartosuc; 08-09-2006 at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

it is that good...

test rode the Trance several times, was almost going to buy one, but figured since I'm here, lets check out the Reign- made the Trance feel like a hardtail. Put both bikes on the shop scale- difference of about a pound (T3 vs R3). As far as climbing, I think it climbs better than my old Heckler (now called Superlight), which has a good rep as a climber. . When you turn them down hill, there is no comparison. Doesn't feel like a 6" bike going uphill, and with the $399 frame deal, its really a no-brainer. Oh, almost forgot, I think the Reign frame weight has been posted here before- I believe about 7-1/2 lbs, depending on size.

In exile
    I am 5'11' and ride a 20" Reign '06 for a trail bike. My 20" is right at 8 lbs with an RP3. My Reign climbs well on flat stuff or on rough techy ups.

Motion activated
    I live in Colorado and do a lot of steep, loose technical climbing. The Reign really shines in these situations. Seated climbing is perfect, no bob at all. When standing and putting power down there is a pretty small amount of bob. Standing and spinning the cranks, you get bobbing that is consistent with 6 inches of travel. BTW this is with a pushed rp3 shock with no platform. Adding platform reduces any bob, but impacts on suspension peformance, which is OK for climbing, but not good everywhere else. Out of the saddle bob is reduced by using the middle or big ring.

6" of travel isn't that much. I use most of the Reign's travel just bombing down steep rocky trails.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    I have an '05 Reign 2, 18 inch (I am 5' 9" and 175), bought the frame seperately (with Swinger 3-way), it is 7.25 lbs, built it up with XT / XTR components, Bontrager tubeless rims, Marz AM1 150 front shock, Hayes discs, and the whole thing is 30.5 lbs.

I can climb better with it than my old Palomino which was 28 lbs (Palomino frame is 5.7 lbs), that is where the parts that I put on it came from, plus downhill is now so much smoother.

It takes a few rides to get used to the higher bottom bracket height and longer wheelbase while climbing tight switchbacks, but once you do, it is so much easier now.

I don't do much hucking with it (mostly rough singletrack with bowling ball sized rocks all over the place) since I have yet to bottom the shock out, I have come close (I had 3/4 inch left of travel on the shock to go, maximum travel would leave about 1/2 inch), either I land smoothly or just have not taken a large enough drop with it yet!

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot for your comments, it really help me a lot...so I think i will go with a 20"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'd test ride a 18" frame before you make your decision. A few people your height ride a 20" frame, but I think the majority of riders under 6' go for an 18". I'm the same size as you and ride an 18", and fits great. If your upper body is longer than average, then a 20" may suit you better. Just my opinion.

Mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm 5' 11'' and I went with the 18''. I felt too stretched out on the 20''. The wheel base is actually longer than published on the Giant website. I measured mine at 44.5'' with a 130mm fork.

I use mine for XC/All Mountain/trailriding or whatever they call it these days.

I never tried a Belair, can't help you there.

Good luck,

Pic

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I'm 5'/11+ a smigin, 20" frame fits me great. However, I have longer monkey arms.
    Rode a med intense tracer frame for a while that was just too small & never realized that untill I started riding larger frames.....

Members who have read this thread: 0