Reign Cable Re Route - How To Guide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Reign Cable Re Route - How To Guide

DISCLAIMER

i take no responsibility for the following information, this was just my experience that i thought may help others sort out an issue with the cable routing on the 05/06 frameset. i dont know what affect this has on frame warranty, so if you are concerned with that, do not proceed. also take not that the clear coat on Giant frames are very thin, so use of low take tapes and lables, and care should be used when removing the tapes and lables from the frame to avoid peeling the clear coat from the frame.

G
    Last edited by Pitto; 08-05-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: name change

mtbr member
    heres a pictorial how to to fix the cable re rout on a Reign Frameset. Some info on the cable route itself can be found here. https://forums.mtbr.com/giant/06-reign-2-cable-routing-186890.html

i bought the cable guides from a company online called cee.com they were very helpfull and great to deal with. i made up some self adheisive lables as sanding and mounting templates and used red cotton as a centerline to work to. the cable mounts were painted silver and clearcoated before they were mounted using JBweld, a chemical bonding system for metals.

i used a metal file instead of sandpaper as the edge of the metal file did the job of removing the paint better, but take it slowly, dont be impatient.

Enjoy the how-to
    jb weld

items for the job

red cotton thread used as centerline

adhesive label pre printed and cutout used as a template for sanding patches

frame sanded where mounts will be bonded to

other side done

G
    Last edited by Pitto; 08-05-2007 at 04:22 PM.

mtbr member
    sanded ready for stage 2

location template using a second label

cable mounts bonded to frame using jbweld and held in place with tape. i used 2 zipties also to hold in place

G
    Last edited by Pitto; 08-05-2007 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    finished product

p clips to the bidon bolts sort out the lower end

zip ties to the rocker arm

G
    Last edited by Pitto; 08-05-2007 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Well done! Thanks for taking this modification to another level.
    "When you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.
    -- So, most of the time when you're riding hard and not falling (since you only fall sometimes), you aren't actually riding hard." W.

mtbr member
    i had tried to get used to the stick on cable guides, but they just looked wrong. I wanted it to look like it was supposed to be there from new, and it didnt take me that long to do.

using the lables to create a template makes it really easy, and makes sure you dont sand too much off the frame and makes sure the guides are positioned properly.

G

ups and downs
    Nice job. What are you using for a rear derailleur cable, it looks like a braided stainless steel jacket and not an Avid Flak jacket.

Were you able to find a metallic silver paint to match to paint the cable guides?

I tried to find a matching metallic brown for the 2006 Reign 1 but brown is not that common an auto colour in the land of touch up paint these days.

I have done a similar modification on a couple of my bikes with both aluminium and steel frames and it has worked well.

mtbr member
    The braided cable outers is a Jagwire brand, bought from Speedgoat. its the titanium colour, not the silver one. it matches really well with the Hope braided hose kit. Email Jeremy at Speedgoat as he is great to deal with. It wasn't cheap to AUS as the postage was almost the same as the cost of the cable outer. http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp...t=60&brand=124

The silver paint was a cheap "aluminium" colour enamel spray can from the hardware, a coat of clear finished it up really well. the colour is close, but not exact, but you cant tell once its all assembled. if i was faced with the issue of not being able to colour match it, i would paint the guides black, as they would then be a feature, and blend in with the cable tie, and also match the black p clips down lower.

i have to say its daunting to sand back the paintwork on purpose. thats why i made the stick on lable templates because i did not want to take too much paint of and have to try and touch it up afterwards. i ust wished i had of done it earlier on instead of wasting money on stick-on cable guides.

G

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    edit: wrong thread

Members who have read this thread: 0