mtbr member

Reign 3 for DH Racing?

Hello all, I'm new to the Mtbr forum community. Anyways, I have been riding bikes, mountain and road, for the last 10 years, racing Sport class XC, Cat 4/5, and some triathlons. I'm in medical school and with little time to ride I sold my bikes. I just recently got a Reign 3 one month ago and started riding again.

As my last bike was a hardtail Stumpjumper, descending on the Reign is an eye-opening experience. The competitive bug is hitting again but now I want to try some downhill racing. I have no misconceptions about the Reign not being a DH bike but I was wondering if it would work for beginner class racing.

Does anyone out there race their Reign for DH? What would I need to change, if any, on my bike? Any tips for first time DH racers with good fitness and decent bike handling skills? I'm thinking about upgrading tires, brakes, and getting a chain guide system. Anything else? What about protective equipment? Any help is appreciated thanks.

Hafa Adai! (That's how we say it in Guam!)

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You should try a couple of runs with the Reign, then rent a downhill bike for a day if you can. That should give you a good comparison.

I had a downhill rig then traded it in for a Reign2, and I definitely don't feel as confident on the Reign on a downhill course.

Don't get me wrong, the Reign is excellent when pointed downhill, especially for a bike you can pedal all day, but you probably want something beefier if you are going to start racing. Just my opinion, hope it helps.

squish is good
    My .02... If you are more about having a great experience than being the fastest, do it! I mean, it's better than a hardtail, you will probably learn alot, and if you like it, there are plenty of dedicated downhill bikes to carry those skills over to. I know some guys will say its like taking a knife, or more like an M16 to an elephant gun fight, but hey, it works so why not?

Motion activated
    Put some large DH tires & tubes on. If you can afford it some 2+ piston disc brakes (8" rotor for the front) and better 6" fork will help you a lot as well. Reign works vey well for DH depending on the course. If it is super steep with big drops you will be SOL. Have fun!!

Get a full face helmet and armor.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would say it would all depend on the course. I dont think I would want to race a DH course that was steep and super rocky and tech on my reign...but on a fast flowy course with tight corners, I think it would be awesome.
    Some things I would do if I was to race my Reign is definately have DH tires...preferably with a thick casing and larger volume so you can run em a bit softer and enhance the grip. My Swinger isnt well suited for smallish hits so I would want some good tires to help in that regard. I would also run at least 35% sag in the rear...this helps the rear tire flow with the terrain and also and more imprtantly, it lowers the BB and slacken the HA so the bike feels ALOT better going fast. If your fork has the adjustment, maybe up the low speed compression damping too to keep the fork riding higher in the travel.
    Maybe a shorter stem and drop the seat and go rip it up.
    I have a DH bike and there is no comparison...my dh bike is a million times faster than my Reign but I think the Reign would be alot of fun on the right course. And at the end of the day, it about the magician and not the wand. ( I have been smoked at DH races by guys on Hecklers and the such)
    Beyond that, I have alot of fun ripping downhills on my Reign and unless you are super serious about racing, its all about fun anyway.
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have raced DH since it was done on hard-tails. My DH bike weighs 42 lbs and has 7 inches front and rear with a dual crown fork. Very stable and much slacker than my Reign. My Reign weighs 30 lbs and only has a 5 inch fork. I think the Regin would be a great Super-D bike, but it is not a DH bike. Super-D is a race that goes down hill but not a DH course. Often a Super-D has some climbing as well. They are great fun. If you want to DH, get a Glory.

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody for the responses. Yeah, I feel like it'd be a good idea to try a couple races on my bike since I already have it. If I feel like getting into it more, I can buy a dedicated DH rig later.

Thanks for the tips and encouragements. I'll prolly get some new tires and brakes soon. I'll try some Super D races too. They seem like a lot of fun.

I live in So Cal right now. Anyone know where to rent a DH rig for a day?

Members who have read this thread: 0