Reign 2011 high volume versus low volume RP2 sleeve results?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Reign 2011 high volume versus low volume RP2 sleeve results?

I took a 2011 Reign 1 out for a quick test ride a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. It was only a riding around the road, hitting curbs and potholes type test, but it felt great. I suspected the rear shock was a bit low in pressure for my weight but figured the bike would steel feel nice and plush once the shock was set up correctly.

I went for a fitting and setup at my bike shop. When we set sag we had to pump the shock up to 200psi for my weight of 175-180lbs. I took the bike for a test spin and it basically felt like a short travel XC bike, almost like a hardtail. I could see the shock moving when I rode over things, but it wasn't moving much. When I went back to the bike shop I had only been using about half the travel.

I got on the bike again and we remeasured sag and brought the pressure down to about 180 psi and I went out to ride it again. It felt better but still pretty harsh. I played around with the rebound settings (I didn't think of doing that when it had 200psi in the shock) and that made a huge difference in the feel of the shock.

However when going over bigger obstacles or hopping off of things it still felt pretty harsh. When I went back to the bike shop I had used all of the travel this time, so I am thinking that harsh feeling was me bottoming the shock out with the lower psi.

I have read on the Giant forum and the Turner forum about using a shim or using a lower volume sleeve for the rear shock. However, I haven't heard any ride reports yet from people who have tried this out.

I love the geometry of the Reign, and the bike feels great, I just need to figure out if I can get the rear suspension dialed before I make the purchase.

So, does the shim or low volume sleeve make a difference? Anyone have some ride reports with either of these set ups?

Thanks in advance for your help.

24v
    mtbr member
    1)Remove Air Shock
    2)Throw Into Nearest Dumpster
    3)Buy Nice Coil Shock
    4)Install
    5)
    The Reign loves a nice coil shock.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    24v speaks the truth.

I bought a Fox Vanilla for $90 and it works soooo much better than the DHX that was on it.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I got a 2011 Reign2 and I did the shim mod, so far its working out well for me, still bottom out but this is like 4 feet drops to flat other than that all is good

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I just bought a 2010 Reign 2. Yea I know the 2011 are out, but I got such a blowout deal that I basically got a full bike for the list cost of a frame . The bike came with a high volume float like the 2011.

Geared with a full CamelBak I'm about 235 lbs. I donít jump or drop off anything over a foot or 2 (getting too old), but I ride here in Connecticut where we smash into rock gardens, boulders, fallen trees, log piles etc. I beat the hell out of my bikes and have broken frames in the past (not a Reign).

With 255 psi in the shock I was blowing through the mid travel too easy and could see that I was also bottoming out. HOWEVER, I never felt a harsh bottoming or harsh anything, but still wanted to fix it. I read about the normal sleeve and the HV sleeve and the differences for both, depending on rider weight.

I read up on the shim mod and I tried the plastic shim using the clear plastic material from the outside case of a stack of CDís (thickness was .889mm). I used a 24mm shim height and the recommended 135mm length. I didnít even un-mount the shock from the bike. If your bike is reasonably new you can do that too, but if you have months of riding you may want to unmounts it and replace the seals on the outer sleeve during this mod. I just released the air, popped the C-clip, and slid the outer sleeve down. Curled the shim around the shock shaft and slid it inside the sleeve and let it uncurl so that is sits against the inside wall of the sleeve. There are simple o-ring seals at the top and bottom of this sleeve with a little bit of a ridge just above the bottom o-ring. Just slide the shim down so that the bottom edge of the shim sits against the ridge. If needed re-grease the o-rings, then carefully slide the sleeve back onto the main body, replace c-clip, add air and Ö..done. So simple there is no reason you canít make a half dozen different sized shims to try over a few rides. You donít need to cut the shim perfectly straight and the 135mm length is long enough to make the shim fit, but it is not tight, so donít stress on that cut either. Using these shims on an air shock is like changing springs on a coil shock. Trust me, this mod is about as hard as changing the tube on a tire.

I was able to set sag at 235 psi instead of 255. I think trying to match the rear shock psi to the rider weight is a good starting goal. The mid stroke improved by a huge amount. I still bottom out the shock, but less frequently and still have never actually felt it. I only know from looking at the O-ring. Iím going to try a 26 mm and a 28mm and that will probably do the trick. You can keep going until your shim fills the entire outer sleeve and that would basically change the HV shock into a normal volume shock. Just keep increasing the shim height until it starts to make the mid stroke harsh.

Bikes and components are usually designed for a 140-160 lb rider. So believe it or not at 175-180 lbs you are considered a ďheavyĒ rider.

In theory, the difference between the normal and HV floats are going to be as follows:

For lighter riders, the normal volume shock will ramp up quickly giving a harsh mid stroke and it will be hard to use all of the shocks travel. If they use less psi they will gain better mid and end stroke but blow through the initial travel to quickly. The high volume shock will be a better option and this is why Fox designed it.

For a heavier rider, the high volume shock may not ramp up fast enough and adding psi will just make the shock too harsh. The normal volume should be a better option, but I would rather have the High Volume because I can tune the air volume. With the normal volume shock the shim mod is not an option.

One thing to keep in mind. You SHOULD be bottoming out your shock and fork at least a couple times during your normal ride, just not violently. You donít pay for a 6Ē bike and then tune it to only use 5Ē. Get your moneyís worth and use it all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the replies!

I will keep the coil recommendations under consideration and give the shim method a try before going the low volume canister route.

Next challenge is to actually find a CD case.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Any soft flat plastic will do if it is 1.2mm or less. The guy who originally came up with this went to a ski shop and bought sheets of flat P-Tex but any soft plastic close to that thickness will work.

I do think the reason some guys get only some improvement to the mid stroke while others get improvement mid to end has to do with how close you get to the 1.2mm thickness. The CD spindle cover I used was only .89mm so there is room for air to sneak by to the bottom of the sleeve. It's a tiny space, but its high pressure so every nook of volume gets used in that sleeve.

banned
    im still not sure what kind of shock your using..is it the rp23 or dhx air

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Reign 2011 comes with an RP2 with boost valve. So, not an RP23 or a DHX air.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The shim mod will work on all the HV Foats and DHX air: RP2, RP23, with or without BV the sleeve is the same on all of them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I made another shim. Increased the height to 28mm. I was able to drop the air pressure to 220 psi ( if I was going to be jumping or drops, 230 psi would be better). The bike is perfect for me now. After my ride I measured from the bottom of the shock seal to the top of the o-ring and I measured 1 7/8" (2" stroke shock). So this is proof that even a big rider can easily make the HV float shocks work. The shim takes up probably 2/3 of the sleeve volume so that last 1/3 is still a benefit over a normal volume float.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey All/Chasspaz is the shim mod not relevant to the Fox Float R since there not the HV sleeves?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    SonyPete,

Correct - the shim mod does not apply to any shock that doesn't have a high volume sleeve - simply because there is no place to put the shim (or more accurately, a bit of flat plastic).

If you want to decrease the volume of a sleeveless air shock, you can put more oil (Fox Float Fluid) in it, but just take note that:

1. Fox don't recommend it.
    2. Since the air volume is already small, a small amount of oil makes a bigger difference.

Generally, the smaller-volumed shocks don't need their air-volume reduced since they ramp up (build pressure) faster than their higher-volumed cousins, and the whole point of the 'shim' in the air space is to create a shock that ramps up faster.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks, I'll have to try some oil. But I do wonder what the actual volume of a high volume sleeve is with the extra shim? Wonder if its less then a stock standard volume sleeve like my float r shock or if the shim just brings it on par with the volume of my sleeve?

- Pete
    Last edited by sonypete; 04-27-2011 at 11:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have a Reign 2 with the RP23 and have the common problem of it being too soft so I'm excited to try this shim idea out. What kind of grease do I need to re-grease the seals? Also, does anyone know the torque specs for the suspensions links?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Correction RP2

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aganoyik View Post
    I have a Reign 2 with the RP23 and have the common problem of it being too soft so I'm excited to try this shim idea out. What kind of grease do I need to re-grease the seals? Also, does anyone know the torque specs for the suspensions links?

Thanks
    Fox specifies Float Fluid which is a synthetic of approx 80w. Any light synthetic grease will be fine.
    As far as torque goes; don't go ape on small threads and use a drop of blue Loctite

mtbr member
    May 2011
    replacing XV with a standard can wont give you better mid stroke support. It just ramp up faster near the last, maybe 20%, of stroke.

The only solution is go for a coil shock. That's my conclusion.

That's my personal feeling on another bike (not reign)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thx Haggis, CSCSW

Forgive my ignorance. I like how plush the shock is but I find I'm bottoming out on fairly tame terrain. I'm not sure about how the mid stroke plays in. I'd just like to stop it from bottoming out so easily. Would the ramp up at the end not help that?

Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Fox now sells volume spacer kit which is even easier to do. Yes it will stop it bottoming out easily.

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey thanks for the link. I figured I'd try the shim first and see how it goes before purchasing anything. figured I should update too for anyone that may look at this thread. I tried a 1.2mm thick x 24mm high shim using plastic from a CD case. Installation was as easy as it's made out to be above. I didn't notice much of a difference though. I'll try a taller one and see how it goes.

Members who have read this thread: 1