Raceface cranks any good?- Mtbr.com
    Happy as a little girrrrl

New question here. Raceface cranks any good?

I just bought an 03 NRS3 and took it out for the first time yesterday and love it. I can't find any information about the Raceface Ride XC cranks and was wondering if anyone has opinions about them. The only thing I was told is that they are the entry level cranks by Raceface. Would Shimano Deore cranks (just the Deore, not lx, dx etc.) be considered an upgrade to the Raceface? I ask because that's what I have on my other bike, so it would be easy to swap. What do you guys think?

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Not sure if the '04 RF XC are the equivalent to the Prodigy, if so they're the low low end model and changing to Deore level might be an upgrade.

If I were you I would use the cranks until the rings wear out and then replace with something better than Deore.

I love Pisgah
    Yup. I don't know either. I DO know that the Prodigy line is made my Truvativ for RFs lower end oem applications, and is 6000 series alum, unlike the "real" stuff like the Turbines and Next LPs. The new stuff this year I have no idea.

Same goes with the Prodigy stems and posts by the way. Not my fav stuff.

Happy as a little girrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Not sure if the '04 RF XC are the equivalent to the Prodigy, if so they're the low low end model and changing to Deore level might be an upgrade.

If I were you I would use the cranks until the rings wear out and then replace with something better than Deore.

Thanks for the input. I'll probably do just that...wear these out and upgrade later.

Dec 2003

dump them on Ebay...

I have had the RF Prodigy on my NRS 1 and VT 1, and have now gone through 3 chainrings. The middle chainring is very weak and bends easily causing massive chainsuck. The large chainring is not as bad, but also wears quickly. it is very frustrating and expensive to replace chainrings at 30 bucks a pop. I think if these are still in new condition I would put them on ebay and buy at least the XT crankset. Also the bottom bracket for the prodigy is poorly designed and the bearings wear quickly. I am on my second bottom bracket now and just noticed that it is also developing problems. I am done with them!

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Get at least LX but I would recommend XT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would say the chainrings are compairable both are stamped. but the crankarms on the raceface are better. if you want better chainring get the race face cnc rings 1/4 thick stong just had to replace my middle after 4 years.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003

... and if we just ... they are OEM

Quote Originally Posted by frknlitebike
    I would say the chainrings are compairable both are stamped. but the crankarms on the raceface are better. if you want better chainring get the race face cnc rings 1/4 thick stong just had to replace my middle after 4 years.
    They are OEM cranks only, apparently made in Taiwan unlike all theo ther race face cranks.
    But I believe these are better then deore, cause if you look at the giant rainer, they are specced with deore cranks, then look at the XTC2(model up from rainer) and it had race face ride cranks.