mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Questions about my 2002 NRS Air

Hello all,

I purchased a 2002 NRS Air about 4 years ago in the crate and never built it.

Well...... I finally built it up last night. What an awesome bike. Jet Black all over.

This is the first bike I have ever put together and I have a couple of questions I am hoping that you guys can clue me in on. Much appreciated.....

Seat and Seat Post

I want to get a lighter carbon seat post and seat.
    The post that came with the bike is the Titec X-Wing Pro 27.2. 293g.. I dont know the length. I noticed that it had a sleeve that converts the diamater from 27.2 to 30.8. does this mean I can use a 30.8 diamter seat post without the sleeve? Is there an advantage or disadvantage? The sleeve itself is fairly heavy.

Bars

I want to get the strongest, widest and lightest carbon bars I can get. Currently the stock bars are 24" and I would like at least 26".
    The Stem is a Giant Composit stem which is 15degrees 120mm and 164g
    I dont have any other measurements for the stem. I like the stem and would like to use it going forward if possible. How big is the clamp? Can it support the new style carbon bars?

Thank you,

Howard S.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by sliderhss
    Hello all,

I purchased a 2002 NRS Air about 4 years ago in the crate and never built it.

Well...... I finally built it up last night. What an awesome bike. Jet Black all over.

This is the first bike I have ever put together and I have a couple of questions I am hoping that you guys can clue me in on. Much appreciated.....

Seat and Seat Post

I want to get a lighter carbon seat post and seat.
    The post that came with the bike is the Titec X-Wing Pro 27.2. 293g.. I dont know the length. I noticed that it had a sleeve that converts the diamater from 27.2 to 30.8. does this mean I can use a 30.8 diamter seat post without the sleeve? Is there an advantage or disadvantage? The sleeve itself is fairly heavy.

Bars

I want to get the strongest, widest and lightest carbon bars I can get. Currently the stock bars are 24" and I would like at least 26".
    The Stem is a Giant Composit stem which is 15degrees 120mm and 164g
    I dont have any other measurements for the stem. I like the stem and would like to use it going forward if possible. How big is the clamp? Can it support the new style carbon bars?

Thank you,

Howard S.

Many users successfully use a larger post without the included shim. Riders have reported that the shim was the source of a creaking sound.

Indeed you have a sweet bike. I spent many hours staring at that bike in the catalouge. It was far out of my budget though, and settled on the Rainier at the time. However, i now ride an NRS like i always wanted. The components are far far far below that of the "Air" but i love it anyways.

Hopefully somebody else can give you advice regarding the bars.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hi RKJ,

sounds like you have a nice bike as well. Thank you for the comments on the seat post. It seems to me that I should just go with a 30.8 diamater seat post and not use the shim.
    Unless it would somehow be determental to the seat tube on the frame? Also I should be able to improve the weight by getting a lighter seat post and not use the shim.

So far I have not been able to find out what the clamp diamater is on the giant composite stem.

Thanks again,

Members who have read this thread: 0