problems with Reign 0 Wheels- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

problems with Reign 0 Wheels

Just want to know if anyone else has had trouble with the WTB wheels on the Reign 0?

I have a 2007 Reign 0 that I picked up about a month ago. I has WTB Laser Disc SL hubs which sucks sweaty balls(rims suck too other small issue). After my first week of using the bike the front wheel began to wiggle side to side, kind of the way it would if your QR was real loose. So first off I made sure the QR was tight and it was so I pulled the dust seals off and then checked the bearings and everything is tight and good. But the wheel still wiggles and it just getting worse and now the rear wheel is doing the same.
    Being that I was a fulltime mechanic for 5 years I also put the wheels on one of my other bikes to make sure it wasn't a frame/fork allignment issue.

So I guess I am going to try to warranty these crap wheels I just don't want to be out of a bike for a couple weeks. I am hoping Giant will send wheels out first.

Any other people having this issue?

mtbr member
    are your rims true or is it the hub that is causing the wobble. I'm guessing you need to retrue the wheels since i've never heard of a hub causing that kind of wobble.

mtbr member
    This is not a rim issue, rim is straight and spokes are tight.
    The wiggle occurs when I lift the front end off the ground and put my hand on the wheel, or when I am riding slow and tap the brakes I can feel the wheel shaking/moving around.

I already rode that
    Could be just you tightened the QR's too tight and killed the bearings which prob is the case. I havent have those issues on my normal WTB LD lite hubs but did have the rear stop engaging on me.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your hubs, man. I doubt (and I'm sure you'll agree) that you could overtighten your skewers enough to damage the cartridge bearings. I had a similar problem develop with two bikes that I have had that had the DT Cerit (ONYX) front hubs. The only solution for me was to replace the weak DT Swiss skewers with more forceful Shimano XT skewers that would clamp harder. After that, I haven't had any problems. From the sounds of it, though, your condition is worse than mine. I would take your bike to the Giant dealer and try to set up a time when the rep will be there. That way, you can be riding the bike at least until he sees the wheels. Whatever you do, good luck.
    Ride More

mtbr member
    The rep is a goofball and unreliable so having him look at them will be a waste of my time. I am just going to call Giant about the issue and have them warranty them hopefully. I work my ass off and live about an hour away from the dealer so getting up there isn't easy.
    The purpose for this thread was to see if anyone else had the problem more than finding a reason for the crappy quality control/tolerences. I know the reason, the hubs either suck or I just got a bad set of hubs.

The QR will break before you damage the bearings in a hub and the surface area of the dropout spreads the force out to much to cause damage and my bearings are fine.

I already rode that
    For the rear its prob true but the front is a different story. At least on the WTB LD lite front hub there isnt really an axel going through the hub so its part qr pressure holding it together. If the bearings are fine then I dont know what else could cause the problem.
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    A crappy fit for the bearings, crappy bearings, a hub that is 1mm narrower than it should be. The list goes on and on.

Members who have read this thread: 0