Thread: pistol 1?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

pistol 1?

is this a good bike? i have a hard tail and iam thinking of getting a full suspention to do more stuff. thanks

I live to bike
    The pistol is a decent bike, and has a pretty nice price tag. That said, it does have its drawbacks, particularly the rear shock. Its somewhat unique mounting system means that you probably won't be able to upgrade it--which would eventually be nice to do since it is a single pivot bike. Now, the Trance 4 is only a little more, and although the parts spec might not even be as nice as the Pistol 1, you get a much better frame. It doesn't come with disc brakes, but since the wheels are disc-ready, you can upgrade those later. You may be able to find an '05 Trance 4 for less than an '06 Pistol 1.

squish is good
    I hate to badmouth a Giant, but the Pistol is probably not what you want to end up with as your first FS. It's a good bike, it works, but after the inception of the Maestro rear suspension on the Reign, Trance, and Faith the single pivot is becoming... outdated. A FS is going to feel great compared to a hardtail regardless of design when descending, but on flatland, and uphill, a good design is worth every extra penny. Basically what you get with the Maestro design vs a Single pivot is much better climbing and flat pedaling efficiency. When climbing, you get reduced pedal bob, and more efficiency. The bike is basically going to resemble a hardtail when your in the saddle but soak up the bumps when they happen to find you. My opinion, save up a couple more paychecks, or just drop it all on the card and get a better design. Reign eats up climbs like crazy, and can handle some nasty turrain downhill, I own one, love it. Trance is a great XC bike, climbs like a homesick angel and handles the flats easily. Faith handles drops and big air like a mountain goat, and is a fantastic downhill bike with a good enduro personality as well. Take your pic, thats my advice, you should get some sweet deals on '05 models and '06 models will be discounted soon!

Members who have read this thread: 0