Paging all 04' VT owners- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Paging all 04' VT owners

Hey Guys, I'm seriously considering buying an 04' VT. Either the VT3 or the VT2. I was just wondering what current owners think, with comparison to the Manitou Minute Fork/ Manitou Black? I'm talking the Canadian VT's here.... Can you guys do any real XC riding on the VT, does it climb well? Thanks for your input!

Dec 2003

great combo

I have an '03 VT 1, with a swinger 4 way and minute 1 fork. I think you could definitely race this bike if you used some lighter components. Since it has been so wet in DC recently, I have been doing 30-40 mile rides in town on the VT, and it pedals almost as efficinetly as my old NRS 1. If you test this, go to the Giant website first, download the shock manual, and take the guide with you so that the bike shop can properly set up the SPV. It is about as plush as a Superlight, and climbs very well. The Minute 1 is quite nice. I think it performs as well as the Talas, for much less money. I only ride at 130 MM, and it still handles like a cross country rig. VT/Minute 1 combo is great.

Wandervans

I have a 2003 vt1 with minute 3

Definatly a great ride and can handle cross county riding with no problems. The nice thing above the spv is you set it up how you want to ride. You can set the sag high for freeride and low for xc, it truely is a do everything bike.

Look on ebay you can pickup some vts very cheap now.

Chris
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Feb 2004
    I own a vt2 2003 and I love it! If your a freak about weight you should look at the nrs. but the nrs will not handle the down hill better than the vt and now that the vt comes with the minute fork it is even more of a cross country bike. When I do street riding I pump up the shock and the frame does not flex unless I jump off a curb. When I do down hill section on trails I like to let some air out of the shock. Boy that feel like a magic carpet. The bottom line is that the bike is universal 2004 vt 1 or 2. I hope this was helpfull

Rollin' a fatty

Take the VT w the Minute fork

The Black's have a bad rep and all you hear here about the Minute is good.

I've a Psylo on my '03 VT and have no complaints but an upgrade to a Minute 1 is on the near future. Not replacing the Psylo for it's performance is just a matter of switching forks, I have a SS that needs a fork and the Psylo will be it and the Minute will complement the Swinger on the VT.

Jan 2004

steer tube length

hey, i was wondering if you guys know how much steer tube is needed on a fork for the 2003 VT 1 frame?

thanks for your help!

Rollin' a fatty

Mine is around 7.25"

I can double check tonight but almost shure that's around there, less than 8" for sure.

Jan 2004
    oh really? only around 7.25"? thats pretty short isn't it? haha, well i'll wait till your sure of the length tonight first, its just because i plan on buying a minute from this guy and he says the steer tube is about 7.5" and i'm not sure if it'll fit my 2003 VT1 frame, thanks a lot tho ^^
    Last edited by Mr. VT; 02-18-2004 at 06:23 PM.

Rollin' a fatty
    Couldn't measure the steerer tube last night, had visitors last night and forgot about it.

Today I'll be ridding after work and hopefully when storing the bike will measure it.

Jan 2004

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Couldn't measure the steerer tube last night, had visitors last night and forgot about it.

Today I'll be ridding after work and hopefully when storing the bike will measure it.

cool, thanks a lot, you must be enjoying your vt quite a bit eh? have you experianced any problems with it yet? what kind of riding do you mainly do?

Rollin' a fatty

... and if we just ... Here's the measurement (finally)

As you can see in the pic the steerer tube is about 7.25" long. My frame is small and maybe because of a smaller headtube is why you couldn't believe the size.

I do enjoy it very much but only ride it on Sundays, I ride my SS hardtail on weekdays on a trail close to work.

That thing is bulletproof, I built it from the frame up and so far no complaints.

I do mostly trails ridding and some agressive XC. One thing that I can honestly say, it's like a sofa. Very comfortable specially when going down on rocky hills and to make the ride even smoother I use wide tubeless tires at low pressure, it's great!

Here's a pic of my ride.

After that pic only the stem and tires have been changed, this bike rocks!

Jan 2004
    thats swt man, really nice ride btw, thanks again for the measurement!

Jan 2004

tires/weight savers

hey whats the advantage of wide tubeless tires with lower pressure? does it make the ride more smoother? And what do you guys think is a ideal tire size for trail riding? I have some 2.35 sized tires right now on my wheels haha, yeah i know their pretty big.

Hey, what do you guys think would be some great weight savers for a VT frame and Minute 1 combo? and how much does your VT weigh?
    Last edited by Mr. VT; 02-20-2004 at 01:15 AM.

Rollin' a fatty
    I learned that fatter tires and lower pressure works great from sspeeding. It makes the ride smoother and the tires bite a little more providing a more controled feeling. I'm running Hutchinson Scorpions 2.3f/2.0r and feels great, before that I was running Kenda KlimaxLite 1.9's and the ride felt sluggish and out of control on fast descents.

Weight savers? Ah let me think about that for a minute. Fork, wheels, tires and maybe some components like seat post, stem, bars, pedals, etc. Mine weights around 30lbs with the xctrish setup that it has but could go a bit lower with lighter parts.

I don't believe this bike is for weight weenies, this is a desing to be on the rugged side not the light/racing type.

Jan 2004
    oh thats interesting, do you know how much are the hutchison scorpions that you have on your bike were? i might consider getting myself some too!

yeah i guess i'll just have to live with the fact that this bike isn't the lightest in the crowd haha, the only real thing i can lighten up on my bike are my wheels and tires since i want to keep my minute 1 on my frame.

Rollin' a fatty
    I got them from JensonUSA.com, I don't remember the exact price but paid around $60 for the set.

You can also try the Michelin Hot S, heard very nice things about them and last longer than the Hutchinson.