Options for raising handlebars 2" (?)- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

Options for raising handlebars 2" (?)

I recently purchased a barely-used Giant Iguana (with disk brakes) for my wife, but she doesn't like it. I do like it, and it's a huge improvement over my 20 year-old Diamondback! But if I am going to make it my bike, I would like the handlebars to be 2" higher - without extending the bars much further to the front. Any suggestions for how to gain this 2" rise? I have seen after-market 'stems' that would seem to do the trick. After-market handlebars would seem to be an option, too, although I don't care for the looks of the bars that give more than a 2" rise. And, if I'm figuring correctly, a new bar with a 2" rise would only give me a net gain of 1" (over the stock bars). Also, if I were to buy a stem, what size steer tube does my bike have? (can't find any Iguana specs on the Giant website) And what about my brake and shifting cables? Will they accommodate me in my quest to get a 2" rise in handlebar height? (it looks 50-50 from my POV, but if anyone has already been down this road, you might save me a lot of time & trouble!)
    Please refrain from suggesting I sell the bike and buy a larger one. (That's not an option right now, although I can always continue riding my old trusty Diamondback...)
    Thanks for any thoughtful input.
    -Jim in Northern CA

I AM I AM
    Your steer tube should be 11/8" threadless which is pretty much a standard, these days you will hear some bikes come with 1.5" steer tubes as well. The cheaper bikes use some sort of threaded design.

The other main thing to note is the size of bar and stem. There are two sizes one being standard and the other being oversize. Oversize is 31.8mm and I think standard is 25.4mm. This is basically referring to the thickness of the bar where the stem clamps it.
    Say that you as an example have a standard size (25.4mm) bar and stem. Should you want to just replace the bar you will have to get a standard one or if you prefer to get an OS (31.8mm) one then you will have to get a new stem as well.

The best way to raise your bar 2" would probably be to get a new handlebar & stem, your shifters and brake cables should be fine, but not something I can definitely say without seeing the bike. It may be a stretch to get them on if your bar is a lot wider than the original one, so best to mount the controls before putting the bar on the bike.

Happy shopping now!

Sep 2007
    Thanks for the help!
    I just checked my local REI shop; they had the stem, but not the bars that I wanted. Rather than order it, I'll wait for the bike shops to open on Tuesday...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

here is my favorite chart for this situation...

you can figure whether yuo need to use a high-rise bar and/or stem. Might be able to get away with only one. Keep in mind, if the bike has hydraulic discs, make sure there is enough hose on the brake lines to allow a major lift of the handlebars. If they are cable discs, they are relatively cheap to replace cables if necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sep 2007
    I will keep that chart for future reference.
    Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0