ok, serious about getting new frame now- Mtbr.com
    fat boy for life

ok, serious about getting new frame now

VT or an AC frame?
    I am 5'11" and around 225 lbs. Wanna learn how to do some drops, nuthin extrem, just 1 to 2ft drops. I am not a smooth rider either that is why I am considering the AC.
    What are the weight difference between the frames? How is the coil set up of the AC when pedalling uphill? Can we reduce the bob? Well that is it for now. Any additional info given will be greatly appreciated.

stinky AC or VT??????????????

Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Let me see

The choices are VT vs AC, huummm interesting.

From my very limited Giant knowledge (new to the bikes) the VT frame is lighter than the AC and due to the suspension design and shock bobs a lot less. On the other side the AC is a beefy frame and can handle hucking a lot better and because of that bobs a lot.

What can you do? Change the original Fox vanilla shock with a 5th Element or Romic, that will minimize bob and will withstand the abuse of drops and hucking.

I was offered a trade from a Jamis Dakar (used to own) for an AC2, the factor that prevented the change was the additional weight and componentry.

Are you going to get a whole bike or just the frame?

fat boy for life
    Just the frame DD as I wanna build it up with my parts from the SL. and also use the Z1FR fork I got. Do you know the weight difference between the 2 frames? Or a linky to their specs? I went to Giants site and no weight info.
    [email protected], any help? Heheh.
    Thanks for the quick replies DD.

stinky more likely to go with the AC

Rollin' a fatty Moderator

Get a hold of [email protected] for weights

I also took a lot and couldn't find weight info, probably because these frames aren't available as frame sets from factory.

Also the geometry and sizing is different so be careful when selecting the size but I believe a Medium is the right size for you.

Jan 2004
    I'd have to say AC... I'm similar in size to you, and from what I can recall of my parking lot ride on the VT, it felt more cross-countryish. I don't exactly know how to quantify that, except to say that it didn't seem like I'd be overly comfortable riding it down some of my favorite trails in Moab. There's only a degree difference in the head tube angles, but it seemed like a big difference to me.

I would also mention that the current ACs are coming with Manitou Swinger shocks, which are basically 5th Elements made by Manitou, while the VTs are coming with SPV Air shocks. Either way, you probably can't install a shock that would have less bob. I mean physically you can, but in terms of effectiveness.

One thing I will say is that the AC is not a champion climber. I don't know about the VT in that regard. But, I suffer on the uphills no matter what I ride, so I might as well maximize the downhills, right? Good luck!

fat boy for life
    Thanks to both your replies. Will send a pm to James or wait for a reply from him. I think I'll go with a medium just to be safe.
    Slowride, good point on suffering on the uphills, I am the same way, hehehe.
    AC it is then. Now to start scraping some cashola together and get the frame.

stinky

Jan 2004

frame

personally, if i were you, i would get the VT. if you only plan on doing 1 or 2 ft drops there is really no need for the AC and you end up sacrificing weight by getting the AC. The VT climbs great as long as you keep you climbing smooth and practically glides down the technical trails and bumps like a breeze.
    but... since you are 5"11 and 225 lbs and i'm not haha..a beefier frame like the AC might be preferable for you...ur choice! good luck haha