NRS or VT?- Mtbr.com

Thread: NRS or VT?

Mar 2004

New question here. NRS or VT?

I am seriously looking at Giant and want to know which bike best suits the type of riding I do. I have been on a hardtail for 7 years and want to make th jump to fs. I would classify myself as a performance oriented trail rider. I have never raced but I do compete with my circle of biking friends so I need to be able to ride fast both up and down. I do not do any free riding but I like to ride aggressive singletrack and want a bike that will give me more confidence and speed on the descents than my Klein hardtail. I can't say that I've ever done a drop over a foot or two. I also want a bike that is durable and can last for 5 years or so. I like the NRS but question its durability and suspension performance. I would like for the suspension to make me a better descender and I know that the NRS suspension has a rep for being harsh. With the VT I know the suspension woould perform beautifully but think it might be too much bike for me since I don't attempt even light free-riding. I also wonder how much slower the bike will make me on the climbs since I'm used to a twenty-five lb hardtail. Like I said I have never raced but I might try one some time, but the rides I take with friends are fast and competitive. I am 6ft and 175 lbs and am looking at the 04 NRS 2 and VT 3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    As a VT rider and from what I understood from your thread I would recommend the NRS. The VT is a great performer but isn't a XC race bike on the contrary the NRS is a race oriented bike.

Both are excellent performers and you can't go wrong with either of them.

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Sounds like you're leaning toward the NRS to me. It should definitely meet what you're asking for. The 04 NRS 2 whould get you into FS at a pretty reasonable price and give you room to upgrade. I have an 03 which Ive made some upgrades to over the last year and have been very happy with. I have definitely gone more "trailbike" than race bike and what I have now is a solid 4" bike that feels plush yet is very snappy with no bob (on the rear). Check my profile for the setup. You should be noticeably faster right out of the box!
    As for durability I have definitely taken some good wipeouts and do my share of 1-2 foot drops. The only thing that has broken is the Skareb fork which was known for having issues in 03. No dented tubes, ghost shifting, ISIS problems, chainsuck...
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Just saw you're from TN. There are several NRS posters on the Giant board from GA and think the bike works well for this part of the world.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Wandervans

I own both

I have an nrs and a vt, I think if you want to improve your decending I would go with a vt. It is not going to be as good of a climber as the nrs but it sounds like you want a better descender. The vt can be setup to climb well and the will realy improve you downhill speed and your abilty to ride over techical obstacles.There is not a huge amount of weight difference either.
    Live to ride!
    18 Cannondale Jekyll Carbon
    16 Diamond Back DB8

https://www.facebook.com/wandervans
    wandervans.com

Canuck
    Mar 2004

VT way more versatile

I own a VT, and have test-driven an NRS. I would never get an NRS for anything but hardcore XC racing. The VT is way more comortable to ride, and still flies up hills. I raced my VT last year, and it was awesome. That being said, I might get an NRS this year for hardcore racing.

wait a minute....
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccros1
    I am seriously looking at Giant and want to know which bike best suits the type of riding I do. I have been on a hardtail for 7 years and want to make th jump to fs. I would classify myself as a performance oriented trail rider. I have never raced but I do compete with my circle of biking friends so I need to be able to ride fast both up and down. I do not do any free riding but I like to ride aggressive singletrack and want a bike that will give me more confidence and speed on the descents than my Klein hardtail. I can't say that I've ever done a drop over a foot or two. I also want a bike that is durable and can last for 5 years or so. I like the NRS but question its durability and suspension performance. I would like for the suspension to make me a better descender and I know that the NRS suspension has a rep for being harsh. With the VT I know the suspension woould perform beautifully but think it might be too much bike for me since I don't attempt even light free-riding. I also wonder how much slower the bike will make me on the climbs since I'm used to a twenty-five lb hardtail. Like I said I have never raced but I might try one some time, but the rides I take with friends are fast and competitive. I am 6ft and 175 lbs and am looking at the 04 NRS 2 and VT 3. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    i own both of these bikes .the 04 vt 1 is28# in size med. i cant climb on my vt as fast on fireroads and gravel,but on the trail i can climb more on the vt.if you put enough air in the spv it will climb as well as the nrs, but plush. the nrs is no fun down a hill cause of the brake jacking, but on a stand up sprint it is as firm as a hardtail.