steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005

NRS Shock: Float R Users

Just got a Float R off of a 2005 NRS for my 2003 NRS (last year with the old chainstay design)

Did a search and got conflicting answers...is this shock good to go on all years of NRSs or did the chainstay change somehow affect shock leverage? Also, are shock sizes for all model years 6.5" by 1.5"?

Is the Float R on the 2005s specially valved for the NRS or is it an off-the-shelf version?

Finally, do you like the Float R better than the SID or RP3 or CC Clould Nine?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have had a 2000 NRS 1 and an "05 as a Warranty (18.5in frame is for sale now I just bought a Reign). They gave me a whole frame and shock. And since they replaced the whole she-bang it may make a difference. I just don't know. So, I have used both and I personally like the fox better. One note: the frame had been much improved front to back between the years. It is my understanding that the Float R on the NRS has a set neg spring. Unlike the old SID which had an adjustable neg. They are 6.5 X 1.5.

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by willie b
    I have had a 2000 NRS 1 and an "05 as a Warranty (18.5in frame is for sale now I just bought a Reign). They gave me a whole frame and shock. And since they replaced the whole she-bang it may make a difference. I just don't know. So, I have used both and I personally like the fox better. One note: the frame had been much improved front to back between the years. It is my understanding that the Float R on the NRS has a set neg spring. Unlike the old SID which had an adjustable neg. They are 6.5 X 1.5.
    That's funny, I have had my reign for a year and am just now building up an NRS. I had a hardtail for years and the reign is def. like going from a sports car to a hummer. I am slower, but i dont have to pick lines. So I'm building the NRS to fill the void.

You'll like the reign. Don't know anyone who doesn't.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Still putting the Reign together. ( I have a newborn as well ) The NRS is light and fast no doubt. As a matter of fact I was faster on the 26.5 lb NRS than the 23 lb hardatil in 2000. I have had both 18.5 and 20.5 NRS's and been in between sizes. Plus, didn't want to go to the Trance. For that weight penalty why not get the 2 extra inches of travel? Once I swap the parts over, the Reign should still be under 30 lbs.

Sorry to high-jack the thread. Back to topic now.

Members who have read this thread: 0