NRS clunking- Mtbr.com

Thread: NRS clunking

Mar 2004

NRS clunking

I've got an 03 NRS2 that if I don't really wrench on all the rear suspension pivot bolts before and sometimes during a ride, I notice a slight "thunking" feel when I lift up on the seat. I have had the frame in to replace the shock mount bushings once...which fixed the issue for a short time, but it came back. This condition only goes away when I torque the hell out of the pivot bolts. Is this normal? Would lock tite help? It doesn't seem that the bolts are loose, it just seems like I need to keep applying more and more torque. HELP! This is becoming annoying!

[paste title here]
    Quote Originally Posted by plyers22
    I've got an 03 NRS2 that if I don't really wrench on all the rear suspension pivot bolts before and sometimes during a ride, I notice a slight "thunking" feel when I lift up on the seat. I have had the frame in to replace the shock mount bushings once...which fixed the issue for a short time, but it came back. This condition only goes away when I torque the hell out of the pivot bolts. Is this normal? Would lock tite help? It doesn't seem that the bolts are loose, it just seems like I need to keep applying more and more torque. HELP! This is becoming annoying!
    I had a similar problem. Only when I notice the clunking I sheered the bolt b/c I torqued it too tight(so be careful here). Well got the bolt and bushing replaced and thought that solved the problem. It didnt, after a couple of rides the clunking came back and the bike went back to my LBS. I think they sent it into rock shox again and got a new shock and bushings. So far there hasnt been any clunking. So I would say bring it back to your LBS and see if they can fix the problem. Hope they solve you problem, it can get really annoying at times.
    Keep Pedaling

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Clunk

The cause could be the rear shock (SID) top bushing. Supposed to be a 2003 NRS issue. I had a 2001 NRS, it did not "clunk."

Today I received the new bushing kit for my 2003 NRS. I'll find out tonight if it fixes my bike's "clunk."

Your Giant LBS should be aware of this 2003 only problem.

Fragile - must be Italian

Me too

My '03 NRS Air has the same problem. I don't notice the "clunk" when I ride, but I do notice it when I pick up the bike. At first I thought the seat rails were getting loose (I always pick up the bike from the stem and under the seat), but after closer inspection I determined there was play in the lower bushings of the RS Sid rear shock.

I took the bike into my LBS today and they are ordering me new lower and upper bushings for the RS Sid shock. Hopefully this will fix the problem. I will let you know.

Thx...Doug

Powered by Pulvoron
    doug,
    for our reference here, please provide the part numbers to the rs bushing and stainless steel sleeve when they arrive and cost too.

thank you
    dirt diggler

Ok

Quote Originally Posted by dirt diggler
    doug,
    for our reference here, please provide the part numbers to the rs bushing and stainless steel sleeve when they arrive and cost too.

thank you
    dirt diggler
    They said the parts they are ordering are the "DU Bushings", whatever those are. I will post the specifics sometime next week.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well NRS clunk follow-up

Installed the new SID rear shock upper bushing kit last night. Installation no problem. Did not even remove shock from bike.

New bushing kit weighs twice as much as the original according to my crude postal scale. One ounce for original, two onces for the new one.

Anyway, new bushing had little or no effect on the "clunk" I feel. Bummer.

I do not feel the clunk while riding. I definitely feel it when I kinda lightly drop my butt onto the saddle or, while standing next to the bike, push firmly on the saddle. The clunk occurs during the initial little bit shock compression. Kinda feels like the shock has just a little "slack" in it or its mountings.

My Cane Creek AD-12 does not do this at all.

I remain puzzled.

Same feeling here...

Quote Originally Posted by elder_mtber
    Installed the new SID rear shock upper bushing kit last night. Installation no problem. Did not even remove shock from bike.

New bushing kit weighs twice as much as the original according to my crude postal scale. One ounce for original, two onces for the new one.

Anyway, new bushing had little or no effect on the "clunk" I feel. Bummer.

I do not feel the clunk while riding. I definitely feel it when I kinda lightly drop my butt onto the saddle or, while standing next to the bike, push firmly on the saddle. The clunk occurs during the initial little bit shock compression. Kinda feels like the shock has just a little "slack" in it or its mountings.

My Cane Creek AD-12 does not do this at all.

I remain puzzled.
    This is the exact same sensation that I feel with my NRS -- the "clunk" occurs with the initial hit on the shock compression.

I hope the new bushings fix my problem. I'm a little disappointed that they did not fix yours. Did you check for any play around the lower shock mount? That is where mine seems to have the play, so maybe there is play in that same area on your bike.

Why is this problem so damn prevalent yet nobody seems to have a fix for it? Is there a representative from Giant who reads these posts who can tell us what is going on? Jeez - there must have been a dozen or more posts about this clunk so it must be a common theme that somebody is aware about!

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Giant rep should respond

It is my understanding the bushing problem is at the top only. I could be wrong. My LBS is friendly but somewhat uninformed on NRS issues.

Sorry about part numbers -- I have none. LBS just handed me an unmarked plastic bag containing the bushing kit. No paperwork at all.