New Giant this year...!- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

... and if we just ... New Giant this year...!

Hey hey..!! Just got the new 2004 Giant Rainier last week.. and am totally loving it Just had to share my excitement with everyone..!
    cheers..
    b_r

Rollin' a fatty
    Congrats, post a pic so we can all enjoy your ride.

bi-winning

Rainiers rule

Quote Originally Posted by bike_riot
    Hey hey..!! Just got the new 2004 Giant Rainier last week.. and am totally loving it Just had to share my excitement with everyone..!
    cheers..
    b_r

got the 2002 Giant Rainier in August of 2002... and am still totally loving it Just had to share my excitement with everyone..!
    cheers..

lol

nice purchase.

Mar 2004
    Right on about the Rainier still going strong..!!

Once I get a pic of mine I'll surely post it... Don't have a scanner soooo it might be a little while... but I totally will..
    Thanks for sharing in my excitement..!!
    b_r

Jan 2004
    I saw a 2004 rainier in my LBS as well, looks very nice, bad choice on the fork though, the Judy SL is a tad lackluster, some of the bikes in that price range have Manitou Axel elites/supers on them, which I think are underated forks, they should have put one of those on.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Domdil
    I saw a 2004 rainier in my LBS as well, looks very nice, bad choice on the fork though, the Judy SL is a tad lackluster, some of the bikes in that price range have Manitou Axel elites/supers on them, which I think are underated forks, they should have put one of those on.
    Well, upgrades are always possible... We'll see how it goes..

Feb 2004
    Congrats on the Rainier ... I have a 2003 Rainier and I love it ... I have changed a few things on it but I love this bike

Feb 2004

Congrads!

Welcome to the Giant Family. Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!

Cheers
    Doug

bi-winning

2002's were great

The 2002's were great. Mine came with a Marzocchi EXR air. Would not have got mine if it had a Judy. Some people have great experiences with them though, so good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2004
    cheers..
    b_r
    Yeah hurry up with a pic, i hav an 03 Rainier and it's sic. I would like to see the 04 Rainier cos in Australia we aren't getting anymore Rainiers

Mar 2004
    I'll get right on it (been busy these days)

b_r

(sweet '02 rkj)

May 2004

Not sure where you're looking, but I've only seen the Rainier with the Marzocchi EXR Comp, and that's what the Giant website states what fork is used.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bill2345
    Not sure where you're looking, but I've only seen the Rainier with the Marzocchi EXR Comp, and that's what the Giant website states what fork is used.
    the Answer Manitou Axle Super were used on the 03 Rainier and the Judy SL were used on the 03 Rainier - Spring Collection, and yes, as you state, the Marzocchi EXR Comp are used on the 04 Rainier. Not sure if this clears things up or makes it worse ...lol....

Mar 2004
    Well here it is the 2004 Giant Rainier... finally posted

b_r

bi-winning

What?

b_r

I don't see it

Apr 2004

b_r
    errrrrr...where?? can't see it!

Mar 2004
    Oops.. hehe.. sorry.. been having some technical difficulties..
    Last edited by bike_riot; 05-08-2004 at 07:29 AM.

Mar 2004
    Sorry about the quality... ggrrrr... trust me this photo doesn't do it much justice.

b_r

Mar 2004
    Let's try this again shall we...

Apr 2004
    Let's try this again shall we...
    I'm confused i thought the 04 Rainier was silver and blue...that's wot the Giant website shows

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Boy
    I'm confused i thought the 04 Rainier was silver and blue...that's wot the Giant website shows

Ummm... it is silver and blue.... why, what colours are you seeing..?? I know the quality of the pic is bad but it's not that bad..

b_r

bi-winning

We the people ... Cross gears are bad

Ummm... it is silver and blue.... why, what colours are you seeing..?? I know the quality of the pic is bad but it's not that bad..

b_r
    its about time you got that pic on here but anyway thats a sweet ride. the dirt accents it well

anyway, it looks like somebody has been running severe cross gears (little ring in front, small cog in back=sever chain angle and rapid drive train wear)
    Preserve that sweet new ride by trying to keep the chain as straight as possible between the gears.

happy riding

Apr 2004

b_r
    lol...no the pics not that bad...the bike's cool too ...it's just that I have an 03 Rainier and it's the same color scheme as your pic, which you say is an 04 model, but when u take a look at the 04 Rainier on the Giant website it's different.

Check it out http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030...45&model=10772

Mar 2004
    Oohhhh I see now... ok, the Rainier you are looking at is in the States, where as I'm in Canada... and therefore have a different paint job.. check out the Rainier on the Canada page.. it's just like mine only I've changed my pedals from clipless to some nice Truvative flats.

Also, I was hoping the gear crossing would go unnoticed... silly me (and thanks for the tip)

Thanks all..!!

b_r
    Last edited by bike_riot; 05-10-2004 at 04:22 AM.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Congrats, post a pic so we can all enjoy your ride.

Nice gallery.. sweet rides..!!
    b_r

mtbr member
    I'm riding a 2003 Rainier and so far I love it. I made a few changes though. Found a good deal on a 2003 Manitou Black Super Air 100/120. That really sweetened up the front end. I dumped the saddle after some disconcerting bits of numbness in the jewels. I also replaced the pedals with some Egg Beaters, much better in the mud. Next upgrade will be the cranks. They seem a bit flexy to me.

I might decide, over this next winter, to upgrade to a full-suspension but I'd keep the Rainier around as a spare. I like the way it handles. Does technical singletrack well, better than I am able to push it.

Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    I'm riding a 2003 Rainier and so far I love it. I made a few changes though. Found a good deal on a 2003 Manitou Black Super Air 100/120. That really sweetened up the front end. I dumped the saddle after some disconcerting bits of numbness in the jewels. I also replaced the pedals with some Egg Beaters, much better in the mud. Next upgrade will be the cranks. They seem a bit flexy to me.

I might decide, over this next winter, to upgrade to a full-suspension but I'd keep the Rainier around as a spare. I like the way it handles. Does technical singletrack well, better than I am able to push it.

Yeah, I was thinking of upgrading the fork, and the Manitou Black was one on the list.. I was also thinking of Manitou Minute... It will be a little while until I can do that but it doesn't hurt to think ahead

b_r

Apr 2004
    Oohhhh I see now... ok, the Rainier you are looking at is in the States, where as I'm in Canada... and therefore have a different paint job.. check out the Rainier on the Canada page.. it's just like mine only I've changed my pedals from clipless to some nice Truvative flats.

Also, I was hoping the gear crossing would go unnoticed... silly me (and thanks for the tip)

Thanks all..!!

b_r
    AH HA!!!! that explains it...thanx dude
    yeah busted on that gear crossing!

Apr 2004

Good job!

cheers..
    b_r
    Xclent!!...I'm loving mine too . Here's a couple of pics. It's an 03 Australian Rainier, all standard components except for the semi-slick Gritty Slicker tyres which replaced the Hutchinson Mosquito 26x2.0 tryes.

fork Answer Axel Super 80mm Travel
    derailleur Front:Shimano Deore 34.9 Rear:Shimano LX 9 speed
    cranks Shimano Deore 22x32x44 170/175mm
    derailleur shifters Shimano Deore 27 speed
    rims Mavic X139 Disc 26x32H w/Eyelets
    brakes Shimano M475 Mechanical Disc
    brake levers Avid AD3
    pedals Shimano M505 Clipless SPD

cheers

Mar 2004
    Ooohhh yeah... nice ride... I can see where the confusion would be..! I even did a 'double take' cuz ours look pretty identical until you start talking components... how are you finding the new tires...?? I have Hutch Scorpions.. (and the reviews aren't that great) although I've found nothing wrong with them other than fast wear...

b_r

Oh and glad to hear everyone is still stoked about their Rainier cuz I plan on having mine for a long time..

Apr 2004
    Ooohhh yeah... nice ride... I can see where the confusion would be..! I even did a 'double take' cuz ours look pretty identical until you start talking components... how are you finding the new tires...?? I have Hutch Scorpions.. (and the reviews aren't that great) although I've found nothing wrong with them other than fast wear...

b_r

Oh and glad to hear everyone is still stoked about their Rainier cuz I plan on having mine for a long time..
    Yeah tyres work well for what I got them for, flat smooth bike trails and a bit of road riding now and then, though they hav worn a bit more than I expected, but nothing too serious. Once these wear out i will upgrade to something a bit better but still semi slicks.

Happy riding

May 2004
    hey all, im new to this sport. I have a 2002 rainier. What is cross gear and stuff? How do i know if i have a bad gearing. Thx..

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultomato
    hey all, im new to this sport. I have a 2002 rainier. What is cross gear and stuff? How do i know if i have a bad gearing. Thx..
    Cross gear happens when, for example, you have the chain on the small chain ring at the front and say the small cog at the back or the other extreme the large chain wheel at the front and the large cog at the back. It puts the chain into too much of an extreme angle leading to increased drive train wear. You need to keep the chain in as a straight line as possible between the front chain rings and the cogs at the back.

Hope this helps somewhat

May 2004
    Cross gear happens when, for example, you have the chain on the small chain ring at the front and say the small cog at the back or the other extreme the large chain wheel at the front and the large cog at the back. It puts the chain into too much of an extreme angle leading to increased drive train wear. You need to keep the chain in as a straight line as possible between the front chain rings and the cogs at the back.

Hope this helps somewhat

So i need to keep a strait line as possible, while i ride, or when its in my garage?

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultomato
    So i need to keep a strait line as possible, while i ride, or when its in my garage?
    Yep, while u r riding. No extreme angles.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Yep, while u r riding. No extreme angles.

Does it matter too keep it in crossed gears(small small) while in the garage? My dad reccons it is 'better' for the bike to keep it like that. But I don't see how leaving it like that and riding it like that would make a difference.
    Please tell me I am right so I can prove my dad wrong

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak
    Does it matter too keep it in crossed gears(small small) while in the garage? My dad reccons it is 'better' for the bike to keep it like that. But I don't see how leaving it like that and riding it like that would make a difference.
    Please tell me I am right so I can prove my dad wrong
    The idea of leaving the bike stored in crossed gears (small/small), is based on the notion that it's better to store the bike with the springs in their loosest position. That's actually not true, springs can be stored equally well tight or loose as long as they aren't tightened past the yield point, something that never happens in a well designed mechanism.

So there's no real major advantage in leaving it cross-geard while stored. Just don't ride it cross-geared.

Sep 2004

Rainier - weight, color, components

Hey everyone,

I just ordered a 2004 Giant Rainier as well. A few things to clear up either for me or for the posters.

At first I was wondering if I was getting a 2003 or 2004 even thought the lbs said it was a 2004. However mine is the team blue and silver. Rainier Boy was correct in pointing out that the one on the website shows more silver than blue. I also am getting a Judy fork vs the Marzocchi. I am also all Shimano vs any SRAM. From what I understand the more silver one with the Marzocchi with the SRAM is a 2004.5 - Giant does that funny mid season model thing. Someone correct me if I am wrong then - I am getting a 2004? or a 2003 or 2003.5.

And next I cannot seem to find anywhere how much this thing weighs! I didn't get to try it in the store since they only had a 14" but they had me try a 17" XTC SE2 instead. Though I don't think its the same. Anyone know the weight please?

I have the choice to return the bike if I don't like it but need to find out about these stats first.

I live to bike

correct

yes, you are correct about the 2004 and 2004.5. The blue w/ Judy is 2004, the silver/blue w/Marz and SRAM is 2004.5. Can't tell you the weight specifically, since Giant doesn't post weights for their bikes--you'll have to grab a scale yourself. I can tell you that it will weigh more than the XTC, because it is made of the ALUXX aluminum rather than the lighter ALUXX SL that the XTC is made of (as well as heavier components than the XTC.) I would hazard a guess at around 28-29 lbs (I had actually weighed a 17" XTC 2 at 25.2 lbs). The Judy fork on the 04 model does suck -- on many the U-turn feature stops working, or you have to turn the thing a million times to get the travel to change. Still a good bike, but the 2004.5 is definitely a huge improvement (better fork and SRAM drivetrain)

Quote Originally Posted by FuelingAround
    Hey everyone,

I just ordered a 2004 Giant Rainier as well. A few things to clear up either for me or for the posters.

At first I was wondering if I was getting a 2003 or 2004 even thought the lbs said it was a 2004. However mine is the team blue and silver. Rainier Boy was correct in pointing out that the one on the website shows more silver than blue. I also am getting a Judy fork vs the Marzocchi. I am also all Shimano vs any SRAM. From what I understand the more silver one with the Marzocchi with the SRAM is a 2004.5 - Giant does that funny mid season model thing. Someone correct me if I am wrong then - I am getting a 2004? or a 2003 or 2003.5.

And next I cannot seem to find anywhere how much this thing weighs! I didn't get to try it in the store since they only had a 14" but they had me try a 17" XTC SE2 instead. Though I don't think its the same. Anyone know the weight please?

I have the choice to return the bike if I don't like it but need to find out about these stats first.

bi-winning
    Hey everyone,

for a 14 inch it will hover very close to 30lbs.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Im about to get my 2004.5 rainier in, had my shop order it a couple of days ago, should be here tomorrow or the next day. Im drooling right now thinking about it. This is my second mountain bike and will be a huge upgrade from my 2003 Specialized Hardrock Comp that i drove into the ground. i cant wait i cant wait i cant wait

Sep 2004

sorry I meant - Charlottesville, VA not CA

I just got an update that I will finally be getting my new Rainier in this Wed/Thu but then I am out of town for a week so I really won't see it till a week from Fri. That sucks. I got the bike though also so that I can get my girlfriend or whoever else wants to - to ride with me. It's alot more fun when you don't have to ride alone - especially since I am a beginner. Once I get my Rainier, then I will have the Rainier and the 03 Trek Fuel 98.

I got to take the Fuel out last weekend - went up to Charlottesville, VA for the weekend and did some mtn biking in the Blue Ridge Mt. Kicked my butt! It's only my 3rd time going and my first on a real mtn. Did some major narrow ridge trails and leaves covered the floor so traction was bad. Had some gnarly wipe outs, including 360'ing my bike into the air and going of the dropoffs in a wipe out. Lucky the trees kept from sliding all the way down. The climb to the top was grueling but the reward was a spectacular view and an awesome trip back down. Didn't know any better about hydration and stuff so both quads cramped up severely and locked up my legs many times to the paint I basically was on the floor paralyzed for a while. But I fought on. What a great sense after completing the mountain. Can't wait to go Again!!!

And can't wait to try the Rainier out and see how it is diff and how disc brakes work downhill and how a hardtail works. Also supposedly the LBS told me I am getting the 2004.5 instead of 2004 - but I will believe it when I see it.

Is the Rainier seriously that heavy? A 14" comingin at 30lbs? I got the 17". Even my Full Suspension Fuel 98 is only maybe 25?
    Last edited by FuelingAround; 11-08-2004 at 10:20 PM. Reason: misspelled

bi-winning
    Is the Rainier seriously that heavy? A 14" comingin at 30lbs? I got the 17". Even my Full Suspension Fuel 98 is only maybe 25?
    My 21 inch is a touch over 30# with accesories.

I guess 14 is quite a bit smaller than that, so with no extra crap, maybe 28# not really sure. Either way, it's Closer to 30 than 25 according to my estimates.

But hey, it's a great bike none the less.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.