New Bearings for Reign?- Mtbr.com
    i can't type the letter s

New Bearings for Reign?

Hi Guys,

I have an 06 Reign that I just built up two months ago. (I've had it in my garage for almost two years.) After seeing and hearing about bearing issues with the Giant Reign, what exactly happens to the bearings? Do the stock bearings have a tendencey to ovalize and damage the frame or just ovalize without damaging the frame? And if they ovalize without damaging the frame can I just wait to purchase new bearings until that happens or should I just pony up the 50 bucks and purchase from enduro seals and replace immediately?

Is this a general problem with Giant bearings or is this issue sporadic and rare?
    Or is this not a problem to even be bothering with?

Wow, lots of questions, sorry about that.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    i believe the problem was mainly with the 05 that were spec'd with crappy bearings. The seat stay bearings on the rear triangle are usually the first ones to go. You can take off your rear shock and go through the travel with the rear end and see if you feel any play or grittyness in the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    i believe the problem was mainly with the 05 that were spec'd with crappy bearings. The seat stay bearings on the rear triangle are usually the first ones to go. You can take off your rear shock and go through the travel with the rear end and see if you feel any play or grittyness in the bearings.
    Thanks for the advice, actually I think mine is an 05. Nice paint job on your Reign BTW. I see you are up in OC? I am down in San Diego. Maybe we'll cross paths sometime when I ride San Juan. Or if you want a guide down here in SD give me a PM

May contain nuts
    Seatstay bearing wear is common to all Reigns. They seem to degrade first. If bearing play develops and the bearing isn't replaced; the balls fracture and the bearing housing (frame) slogs out = new rear triangle The 05 Reign bearings are no different to the 06 or 07. Enduro Max bearings are a good upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis
    Seatstay bearing wear is common to all Reigns. They seem to degrade first. If bearing play develops and the bearing isn't replaced; the balls fracture and the bearing housing (frame) slogs out = new rear triangle The 05 Reign bearings are no different to the 06 or 07. Enduro Max bearings are a good upgrade
    Thanks. Yea, I bit and bought the enduro max bearings. I should have them in prior to my trip to Colorado next month.

Hey, Steve71 if you are reading this I'll PM you about riding together when I get to CO, if you don't mind.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hmm, about Enduro bearings, which is better? MAX or normal? And which one fits the size for Giant Maestro bearings?

Come on winter!
    You want the MAX bearings for suspension applications:

http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id55.html
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Members who have read this thread: 0