New Anthem and Trance more similar to the retired SX line?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

New Anthem and Trance more similar to the retired SX line?

The new Anthem and Trance have more rear and front travel than the older bikes and the the SX line is no longer an option... Are the newer bikes pretty much intended to replace the SX?

How do the new Anthem and Trance compare with one another in terms of uphill and long distance capability vs technical and downhill ability?

mtbr member
    I didn't invest a lot of time into this since the Giant website should equally be accessible from your computer but it seems that the 2018 Anthem pretty much meets the 2017 Anthem SX in terms of geometry and both bikes should be far more capable than the old (first MY2014-2016 27.5" frame generation) Anthem SX.

Please note that there has also been a Trance SX so calling the Anthem just the "SX" could be confusing.

On a side note, if you factor in the difference in fork travel (130 vs. 150) the raw frame of current Anthem comes out even slacker than the current Trance. I rode both of them and slightly preferred the new Anthem SX (see my autumn 2016 post in the Trance thread)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I was referring to both the trance sx and anthem sx as they have both been retired in name. Currently riding an anthem sx 2015. Looks and sounds like they actually retired the earlier anthem and trance and just offer the SX in both now... but just dropped SX from the name.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    When the Anthem was redesigned in 2017, there was a significant geo change, as well as a stouter rear and another 10mm of travel. For an XC bike, it's pretty burly, but the Trance is another class above it. Still a decent pedaler and quick compared to other bikes in its class, but you feel like you are dragging some bike around compared to an Anthem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So I guess what I'm wondering is, would the new Anthem be more capable/comfortable on steeper/technical downhill trails than the 2015 Anthem SX? Noticeably?

I am on the Anthem SX now but in a couple years I'll likely sell it for a new anthem or a trance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulharin View Post
    I am on the Anthem SX now but in a couple years I'll likely sell it for a new anthem or a trance.
    hillarious!! After opening a dozen bike vs. bike threads you don't even intend to buy something new anytime soon

are you aware that in "a couple of years" the marketplace will have completely changed? A new Trance frame will be unveiled next year as will a new Anthem frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If by a dozen you mean 1, then sure. Any other threads regarding bike comparisons were likely from 2015 when I hadn't yet purchased the Anthem SX. Or maybe one from 2016 asking about the reign and trance.