New 08 models great, however my bike is missing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New 08 models great, however my bike is missing

I've been looking for something like an AM hardtail bike. I've found many freeride hardtail bikes that are not exactly what I'm looking for, many are for dirtjumps, urban freeride and shore.

I took a look today at all new 08 models Giant has to offer, I was impressed by the new frame specifically designed for the Reign, is not anymore like the Reign X. Also the Trance X was a nice addition, I like them. The Yukon FX is a new sport bike with full suspension that Is acceptable.

Since I have a short budget, I cannot afford a Reign, that was what I was thinking to get some months ago, but I was not convinced with it's frame that was something like for freeride, anyway I couldn't afford it and I'm actually starting. I don't like XC bikes, I want some more agression. The new Reign 0 is absolutely my bike with that nice Talas... if I just had the money.

So far I have found the Haro Escape Comp to be something as what I want... and can afford, also Norco has some bikes with similar geometry. I found some more expensive options from UK (Orange P7 and Sinister Ridge). Anyway all are hard to get, maybe impossible. However, in my country Giant is easy to get, and at good prices, compared to other imported bikes.

Darn. I wish really Giant had made the Yukon FX with a geometry similar to the bikes I mentioned before, with a fork with adjustable travel like the Tora U-turn. Or maybe a new sport model, well.....

This post is like a suggestion / complain :P However I cannot miss the chance to congratulate Giant for their new models, I really like the new Reign and the new Trance X Who knows, maybe I would have the chance the next year to put my hands on the Reign, I just wanted something to start having fun now from Giant.
    Last edited by Gauss; 08-10-2007 at 11:28 AM.

I AM I AM
    Here in Australia quite a few people tend to get an STP as a pretty much everything bike, from downhill riding to a bit of XC, mainly if they can't afford much else and don't want a strictly xc bike.

I do agree it's hard to find a hardtail that will accept a bigger than 100mm fork and still not void the warranty, but at the same time something that's not aimed purely at freeride / dirt jumping either. If I didn't have my trance I would most likely be looking for a hardtail with similar characteristics as you are.

Maybe something like the GT Ruckus Shore? Once again aimed a bit towards freeride. Or the GT Avalanche Expert, Tora U turn fork with XCish geometry.
    Apart from the Haro you found I guess it would have to something from Norco. What about Mountain Cycle, I spotted this frame some time ago...
    http://www.greenfishsports.com/index...ROD&ProdID=848

I guess your decision is now weather to get a hardtail that may satisfy your needs or keep saving up for a dually that really want.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply ducktape, I took a look to the Mountain Cycle you posted, shame there's only a Small one. In the same site I found an Azonic Steelhead, looks nice, but somewhat for urban freeride. I found the Azonic AZ-7 interesting, it is XC, but seems strong enough for something more aggressive, however since it is just a frame, I'd be spending more than I expect and still it is not easy to find someone to import me the bike at a good price.

I'm just mad because here in my country, there's a Giant distributor that can give me almost the Average Retail Price that appears in the US Giant site, for US models of course. I don't really like the STP, I happen to ride a little like XC but with an aggresive style, go uphill, and like to take down the mountain to the limits the bike can handle, I don't do any Urban tricks.

I AM I AM
    Probably what they call All Mountain, you like to go up and you like to go down with some fun in between.

Check out the AM forum here on MTBR for other ideas - if you haven't already, I think there's currently a thread about great hardtails.

Members who have read this thread: 0