Need help on 08 Trance X sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Need help on 08 Trance X sizing

Hi, I plan to get the 08 Trance X2 but not sure which size would fit me. I am 5'5" with 29" inseam. I tried my wife's stock 05 trance size 14.5", it feels a little crampped when climbing, but is pretty comfortable on flat or going down. I test ride a Trance X2 size 16" recently in a LBS parking lot, it feels kind of streach out. But the sticker on the frame suggests it is for 5'4"~5'7". So, should I get a size 14.5" and change to a longer stem, or size 16" with a shorter stem? What's the difference I would feel with different stem length? Thanks.

I AM I AM
    I'm 5ft7 with a 30" inseam and ride an '06 Trance in a 16" frame. Feels pretty good to me with a short stem, still climbs fine. I tried a lot of different stems and settled on a 50mm, it feels the best to me in regards to reach, so I guess I must have shorish arms (I am female).
    Only real difference having a short stem is that it takes a bit more control to keep the steering straight when you're going really slow. I think the term they use for this is "twitchy", but I would say responsive. The weight distribution is more towards the rear of the bike which makes it better for going down hills and the like but some people don't find it as ideal for climbing particularly because on some bikes it leads to the front wanting to lift (and I haven't found this with the trance at all). It's ideal if you like going down more than up and doing some technical stuff (drops, jumps, rock gardens), probably not so ideal for long hours in the saddle (only if you find it a bit cramped)
    Obviously a smaller bike would be more nimble & lighter but a longer stem on it means you have relatively balanced weight distribution (more on the front wheel than with a short stem), generally a great set up for long rides / xc but not so ideal if you do a lot of downhill or technical stuff.

Both have pluses and minuses but really it comes to personal preference. Can be a really hard choice if you don't know what you like!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdoong
    Hi, I plan to get the 08 Trance X2 but not sure which size would fit me. I am 5'5" with 29" inseam. I tried my wife's stock 05 trance size 14.5", it feels a little crampped when climbing, but is pretty comfortable on flat or going down. I test ride a Trance X2 size 16" recently in a LBS parking lot, it feels kind of streach out. But the sticker on the frame suggests it is for 5'4"~5'7". So, should I get a size 14.5" and change to a longer stem, or size 16" with a shorter stem? What's the difference I would feel with different stem length? Thanks.
    I am only a 2 inches taller than you (on a good day) and similar inseam. I owned a 16" Trance for a year and found that with a 100mm stem I actually wanted a longer cockpit. Based on where my seat ended up, I felt that I was too far back relative to the suspension and sitting in the travel. I currently ride a 17.5" Stumpjumper and it's perfect. Everyone has their own tastes and you have to be comfortable above all else.

Are you a newer rider? I remember when I started everything felt like a stretch until I got used to it. A good LBS should be able to give you a recommendation at the shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Decide on 16"

Quote Originally Posted by Franco94
    Are you a newer rider? I remember when I started everything felt like a stretch until I got used to it. A good LBS should be able to give you a recommendation at the shop.
    I start riding about 3 years ago. I ride for fun only. Riding fast is never my goal. So usually I prefer a more up right position. I love rocky and technical climbing. Going down is also fun, but I never go fast.
    I tried the 14.5" Trance again today for a 2hr ride. I think 16" is probably a better fit. Plus the head angle of Trance X is slightly slacker than my taste. Sounds like a shorter stem (10mm shorter) may make it more nimble? I also feel that my weight is biased to the rear too much on the 14.5", making some of the rocky climbing harder to do. So,16" it is.
    Thanks a lot to both of you, Ducktape and Franko94.

I AM I AM
    Great, enjoy your new ride!

mtbr member

Sounds like the right choice

Enjoy your ride!

Members who have read this thread: 0